What's new

Stick with Raiden or go high tier for tourny? Raiden vs Kabal.

So, I've been maining Raiden. I'm the most comfortable with him but his shortcomings put him under top tournament characters like Kabal right?

Raidens wakeups for example, pretty predictable, get punished a lot. Kabals blade wakeup = great. Raiden has pretty much 0 low attacks, making his strings easily blocked vs mixup characters. I realize Kabal isn't much better for this, but blade and 11b4 helps.

Kabals reset thing (f4). Does raiden have a tactic similar? putting them in front of you to continue pressure without the threat of a wakeup is awesome.

That's all I can think of for now, so my general question is, take up a "s-tier" char, or stick with my raiden.

Raiden is about as S tier as it gets in this game, in my opinion. He's a great character. I don't know of any reason not to stick with him.

I'm just going by various tournaments I watch on here, it seems to be KL, Rep, and Kabal are always at the top, and I'm wondering if Raiden isn't usually in there because hes lacking some tools.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Didn't PR Rog take second place with Raiden at UFGT7? I'm pretty sure...

If Raiden isn't placing in top eight at tourneys, it's certainly not because his wake-up options are predictable.

Top eight characters in the game, according to Tom Brady:

1. Kung Lao
2. Raiden
3. Nightwolf
4. Johnny Cage
5. Reptile
6. Sub-Zero
7. Cyrax
8. Cyber Sub-Zero
You can't really go much higher, and do you really want to be another Kung Lao player at the tournament scene? Hahaha.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I was just thinking the reason you never see him in top 8 has to do with the few things I listed.
If you gave Raiden a super good low...he'd be stupid. It's bad enough he has vicinity blast pressure.

Oh, guess I didn't see UFGT7, I'll see if I can find footage, what character beat him for first? Thats good TB puts him high, I was just looking more at results I've seen rather than a list tho. And no I don't really want to jump on a popular character that much, the result I was honestly looking for with the thread was to be talked into sticking with raiden :)

EDIT: K watched the tournament, wow perfect legend rocked him with KL, but yea, I'll stick with Raiden and let you know how bad I get wooped in my first fighting game tournament :)

Any XBL guys wanna beat on me a little later?

goodone

Noob
dont be a fotm guy and stick with who you like the most.

raiden got nerfed a little with the latest patch but he still extremely good, just have to work more on f2 4 and 121shocker which both seem to be pretty safe. Relying on 334 and b312 won't work any more. It is weird that there hasnt been any raiden rep in tournaments lately, hoping to see something from evo though

Loot

the special effects
What is this vicinity blast pressure you speak of? I can't think of a good use for that move outside of combos.
Its generally safe on block, pushes Raiden away a little, and much safer to check your opponent with than Shocker. Excellent pressure when canceled from 334.

Nivek

Athena guide me, the thunder God...
Its generally safe on block, pushes Raiden away a little, and much safer to check your opponent with than Shocker. Excellent pressure when canceled from 334.
Its good for pressure but its high and can be easily uppercuted..!sometimes we can catch people try to jump after a string..
Raiden is still good..he has many weapons that people dont know..

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
If Raiden is number 2 on Tom's list he must be holding out on something we aren't aware of yet.
He is, actually. He alluded to it in another thread but did not give details. All we know is that Raiden has a frame trap that can be escaped, but when you do escape it you are vulnerable to a launcher. Soooo, I'd love to know what that frame trap is.

And to the OP, Raiden is better than Kabal. Just because Michelangelo won 3 tourneys in a row with Kabal you don't have to jump on the band waggon. Raiden can teleport, Kabal can't. Kabal's Nomad Dash is very unsafe on block. You can go through all of Kabal's projectiles with Ex-Electric Fly which has infinite armor and it's full-screen range. Raiden is safe on f2, 4 and 3, 3, 4 and he does have a low in 2, 2, b4 (granted, not a very good one, but still..). Also, Raiden has superior anti-air tools in Air-Electric Fly, Vicinity Blast, and especially Ex-Shocker.

Kabal though he is really good his wakeups are dangerous. That wake up saw blade is not as good as you think it is, it's extremely unsafe. If the opponent makes a read on it, it's punishable by full combo. And the only Kabal you see on top 8 is Michelangelo, I mostly see Kung Lao, Raiden (not recently though), Cyrax, and Reptile. Im just saying because Mike wins all the tournaments with Kabal doesn't mean he is sitting at the top of the tier list, he is just that good with him. Plus if you feel like you have to play "best" character in the game, have fun fighting Kung Lao mirror matches all day.