What's new

Stick or Pad? (PS4)

Methysan

Noob
I'm really unsure which one to play on. My only real fighting game experience is Marvel 3 which I play on stick. I played Injustice on stick as well but that was Xbox 360 and I know the Playstation pads are way better for fighters than Xbox ones. Normally I wouldn't even think about pad but I did play a few matches of MK 9 on a stick and found the block button to be way harder to use than with a pad but that might have been my button layout.

So any advice on which to use? Pros and cons to each? And any suggestions on button layouts for stick?

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
Whatever, man.
Pads travel better and are less expensive to replace and work nicely with the shoulder block button...

Methysan

Noob
What about button layouts for stick? My gut is telling me R1 should be block but that makes super a bit more awkward to do if I'm doing this:

1 2 block
3 4 interact

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
You need to be able to block on reaction, it should probably be a central button.

1 3 Block
2 4 Interact
:)
*Note, I like to play keyboard style, or using the claw grip. Right index finger on 2, middle-finger on 1, ring-finger on 3, pinky on block, manuever both middle and pinky for 4 and Interact. Also I have long fingers, so it is no problem for me to pull off moves using this setup without getting tired.

MK is the only fighting game I prefer on pad because of the inputs of the special moves. I know you can still do the motions street fighter style but that doesn't seem very effective for me on stick. I can play MKX on PS4 and Xbox One on pad with no problem.

I play NRS games with pad and Capcom games with stick. Seems like NRS games are meant to be played with a Pad.

I noticed Justin Wong and Chris G both using Pads in the tourney this weekend. Those guys are normally stick players, so maybe they switched finding pad to be easier also.

Methysan

Noob
You need to be able to block on reaction, it should probably be a central button.
I'm kinda used to the piano style of hand placement from Marvel so my ring finger is pretty much always on the third button on the top.

Sulfur

Winning feels better when you take a little damage
I play on pad because this game feels like it has some nasty input delay when played on stick.

Methysan

Noob
I play NRS games with pad and Capcom games with stick. Seems like NRS games are meant to be played with a Pad.

I noticed Justin Wong and Chris G both using Pads in the tourney this weekend. Those guys are normally stick players, so maybe they switched finding pad to be easier also.
I noticed that too. I know a lot of top MK players use pad as well. I'm trying both right now. Pad seems decent as well.

zuurrkk

World's worst GL
Pad. There are too many issues with alternate controls if you're using stick. If you don't plan on using alternate controls than go right ahead.

But if you do decide to use alternate controls be wary that NRS made dashing with them completely fucking stupid. If you hold forward, then tap forward again you get a dash.

if you dash, then hold the last forward input for too long and do, say F+2 with a character, if your f is slightly before the 2 then you'll just get a dash.

It's bad.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
I personally prefer stick for MKX but it is all about what you are most comfortable with, my layout is
1, 2, Interactable
3, 4, block.

I use my right ring finger for block and my index finger and middle finger for 1, 2, 3, and 4

Methysan

Noob
Okay, last question: For stick do I want alternate controls on? Seems like it would make things a bit slower, especially back-forward inputs turning into half circles. And does negative edge really matter? I know what it does but I've never really known any time it was relevant besides T-Hawk in ST.

LucaTheRipper

RULES OF NATURE!
For me, i just want to play MK X with the ps1 pad right now, damn hate the ps4 controller's arrows. I feel more confortable using pads for MK, Tekken, Injustice and DoA. I've got one MadCatz stick too but only play games like SF and KoF with the stick. Sometimes depends of the character also, play with Kabal in MK 9 for example, with a stick is much better for some inputs and cancels.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I'm really unsure which one to play on. My only real fighting game experience is Marvel 3 which I play on stick. I played Injustice on stick as well but that was Xbox 360 and I know the Playstation pads are way better for fighters than Xbox ones. Normally I wouldn't even think about pad but I did play a few matches of MK 9 on a stick and found the block button to be way harder to use than with a pad but that might have been my button layout.

So any advice on which to use? Pros and cons to each? And any suggestions on button layouts for stick?
Stick to the pad.
Unless you know how to stick.
Sticks are sick, so then stick to the stick and stick it to'em in the pad.

If you're someone like me who plays all fighting games on a stick, go with a stick.
MKX works very, very well on a pad. Justin Wong is also playing on one.
For me, pad is a hassle because I'm not trained for it and I get a ton of things like accidental jumps.

For Stick, I'm playing
Inter. 1 2
Block 3 4
This works for me because holding my Thumb on the "lk" button is in my muscle memory because I played Carl in BB, Juri, Eddie/Zato etc. It's also easy to meter burn with a finger + thumb.

RyuKazuya

Jesus is my Lord and Savior!
Well on ps4 you need a piggyback controller before you plug in a stick. I have to sign in one controller to play with my stick. Considering mkx i play more on pad than on stick since my stick has some issues with the usb slot :(.
But since it is a fighting game i stck to my general opinion and say go with STICK. stick is the best fighting game experience and if you are already comfortable with the current inputs like bf instead of hcf then stick to it.

my current layout that is use when i play is

1 2

block

3 4

L2(cant decide what to put here xD)

Train

Noob
my stick layout is :

1 Block 2 inter.
3 Throw 4 change stance

so I use middle finger for block. This was the best way for me.

Methysan

Noob
Stick to the pad.
Unless you know how to stick.
Sticks are sick, so then stick to the stick and stick it to'em in the pad.
I play Marvel on stick and played a bit of Injustice as well. Pad would be nice to learn though so when I go to my friends' houses I can play on their setups and not fail at every combo ever. I'm still trying both, but I finally landed Cassie's mid-screen bnb with pad so that might be the one.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I play Marvel on stick and played a bit of Injustice as well. Pad would be nice to learn though so when I go to my friends' houses I can play on their setups and not fail at every combo ever. I'm still trying both, but I finally landed Cassie's mid-screen bnb with pad so that might be the one.
You can just bring your stick with you.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
This game is so rewarding on Stick, i don't indent do play on D-pad anytime soon, my layout:

1 2 block stance
3 4 intect throw