What's new

Steve Beran gives hint at MKX online mode being "the biggest online thing we've ever done"

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
I feel like it has to do with the story. Kinda like the Last of Us multiplayer how there were two sides. Or maybe the online mode is like its own Mortal Kombat tournament where every win and loss with each character is kept track of and there are different seasons that each last like a month. Kinda like how they kept track of things in Injustice. That way all of the Sub Zeros (or any character) come together to win each tournament as a whole.
This feels like forward thinking, I like it. Most people just want straight ranked and exhibition and koth, which if done right are all you need for a fighting game, however, something that integrates the story, the idea of the 'tournament' in the story, an evolving story-line online experience, would be very interesting.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Nice, can't wait! I bet this new mode will be something never done in any fighter before, I think Boon already said this....

Netcode will be improved I'm sure, but still getting it for Xbox one(not taking chances lol)

Even though all games lag online, I'm looking forward to it :)

This is great news (hopefully). But I wish people would understand that netcode can only get you so far... if you live in Peru and are trying to fight somebody in Canada, there's going to be input delay/dropped inputs, IMO no amount of coding can fix genuine lag.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
Yeah they want to do a big community thing, my thought is it's going to be one of those "players are divided into teams netherrealm, earth realm etc... and you have to fight and win to earn points for your team which wins rewards"

That's my take, ehh maybe, maybe it's better and less simple than this, but just to add I actually enjoy this kind of thing in multiplayer.

SkaGoogle

Tailgates & Tan-lines !
if NRS manages to get this netcode shit down. We will be looking at an amazing future for all NRS games to come. Imagine, Injustice Gods Among Us 2 with a functional netcode. OH DEAR LORD!!

Mortal Komhat

Worst Well-Established Goro Player Ever
Hopefully, there won't be dumb WBID related things that forces me to grind on the iOS/Android game.
I can guaran-fucking-tee you that they're going to be putting in WBID integration or something to that nature. Isn't it in every game WB makes?

In so far as netcode is concerned I'm personally not worried for the next gen consoles. If KI can run this smoothly there is NO REASON why the Bone and the PS4 should run badly. If you're planning on playing on 360/PS3 you're gonna have a bad time I fear.

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
i hope they go the dota 2 approach and make it so that you are able to watch streams of tournaments and players in game as well as a listing of tournaments locally and majors and their prize pots. also make it so everytime you log in they announce a tournament coming up and online tournaments if they have good netcode.

ChuckFiasco

"I'm the 12th best Sub-Zero player in the world."
Well it couldnt get a whole lot worse then how the current "new" server for MK9 is running...garbage

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
i hope they go the dota 2 approach and make it so that you are able to watch streams of tournaments and players in game as well as a listing of tournaments locally and majors and their prize pots. also make it so everytime you log in they announce a tournament coming up and online tournaments if they have good netcode.
not a bad idea, but what's the point when you already have twitch...? kind of out sourcing them... and it's alot of development time to implement it.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
This video confirms the godlike interview skills of Hollie Bennet:

At 4:10: "I jumped off a tiger then grabbed an old lady and threw her at the enemy"

At 5:53: "I got to break someone's bowlz, then shoot them in the head, which I thought was incredible"

This is my favorite thing in the whole wide world right now. NRS hire her for full time PR please :)

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
not a bad idea, but what's the point when you already have twitch...? kind of out sourcing them... and it's alot of development time to implement it.
dota does it and they have infinitely more players. if you have steam download dota 2, they have a watch tab where they show a list of tournaments you can watch with location, a brief summary etc. people can still watch on twitch (which is still the 3 most viewed game most 0f the time) or choose to watch it in game like a KOTH but no effecting the connection.

acedakid210

itz_daedae
I love the high level gameplay in this clip mkx looks very fast paced compared to mk9 i hope brutalities makes a return would be cool to see and would fdit in perfect do to the fact that there is now a run mechanic

I bet there's going to be something with clans. In one of Ed's interview he said something to the lines of "you go on to check how you're doing, or how we are doing"

xXstealthflameXx

Finding a Main
I bet there's going to be something with clans. In one of Ed's interview he said something to the lines of "you go on to check how you're doing, or how we are doing"
I also remember him saying it's something that everyone will be a part of. Being a tournament, clan system, or a mode of some sort.

d3v

SRK
Unless it involves the letters GGPO, it'll still be laggy and worthless.

EDIT:
And when the fuck have clans ever been an FGC thing?

xXstealthflameXx

Finding a Main
Quote from Best Buy: Take the fight worldwide with fully connected online gameplay that pits you against other fighters in a global battle for dominance

I can guaran-fucking-tee you that they're going to be putting in WBID integration or something to that nature. Isn't it in every game WB makes?

In so far as netcode is concerned I'm personally not worried for the next gen consoles. If KI can run this smoothly there is NO REASON why the Bone and the PS4 should run badly. If you're planning on playing on 360/PS3 you're gonna have a bad time I fear.
The console doesn't dictate whether the netcode is bad or good. It's the actual code and how it's designed. Killer instinct runs very well because it uses a rollback style netcode. NRS games tend to have the input delay system to mask the latency. You don't get missing frames, broken frames or rollback issues but the inputs are substantially delayed which makes their games unplayable online, unless you call playing while drowning in quicksand good netplay.

EGGXI

Scary Bat
Honestly I'm guessing netcode will be better but that's not what this refers to.

I think they might be going in balls-deep on a highly competitive online environment, best of regions, best in the world, clans, points for taking down your master/rival.

I think they want to make the online scene more rewarding for the more casual player, like most of TYM will be playing this game forever if it has a decent netcode and you can fight other people, but casuals kinda do the story, try online for a bit til they get on a long losing streak and then they are done.