What's new

Statistical Tier List

Skedar70

Noob
This is a tier list based on numbers without any subjective MU numbers. This was taken from the game itself and is based on total number of wins and sorted in descending order.

S
S
Batman

A
Flash

Supergirl

Robin

B
Superman

Harley Quinn

Aquaman

Black Canary

Green Arrow

Scarecrow

Black Adam

Darkseid

Blue Beetle

Catwoman

Bane

Atrocitus

Deadshot

C
Joker

Wonder Woman

Doctor Fate

Cheetah

Captain Cold

Firestorm

Swamp Thing

Gorilla Grodd

Cyborg

Poison Ivy

Brainiac

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
This is a tier list based on numbers without any subjective MU numbers. This was taken from the game itself and is based on total number of wins and sorted in descending order.
Total number of wins only? Shouldn't you get, at least, a win-loss ratio to balance things out? Otherwise, characters that are played more are going to be put higher than they normally would, as we are seeing here.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I like the idea in theory, it just doesn't mean anything in its current form. Without taking into account the total wins as a percentage of total games played, you're just going to end up with a list of the most popular characters.

BurdaA

Frost-Byte
Total number of wins only? Shouldn't you get, at least, a win-loss ratio to balance things out? Otherwise, characters that are played more are going to be put higher than they normally would, as we are seeing here.
Yeah needs weighting for total games, otherwise popular characters will be unfairly over-represented. Still interesting numbers though.... #BuffBrainiacAnyway

Skedar70

Noob
I like the idea in theory, it just doesn't mean anything in its current form. Without taking into account the total wins as a percentage of total games played, you're just going to end up with a list of the most popular characters.
Well I don't believe that Robin Flash or Supergirl although popular are more popular than Superman or Wonder Woman.

This doesn't matter regardless. Even if a certain character has a great win loss it doesn't mean the character is good. You can get a general idea but sometimes players just need to learn the mu more than against other characters

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
This is super pointless, it tells you nothing other than Batman has probably been played more. If you want to do this properly do it by ratio of wins to losses, not just number of wins.

I know this is just you trying to complain about Batman in the most subtle manner possible but this is still pointless.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Well I don't believe that Robin Flash or Supergirl although popular are more popular than Superman or Wonder Woman.
Based on any factual information or just gut instinct? Either way, this tier list is essentially meaningless until you can factor in that information (but if you can do so, it should be one of the most accurate I2 tier lists we can possibly have).

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
This doesn't matter regardless. Even if a certain character has a great win loss it doesn't mean the character is good. You can get a general idea but sometimes players just need to learn the mu more than against other characters
It's true that there could be other factors, such as the average skill of the players responsible for the numbers, but overall it would be a step in the right direction. It would be no more inaccurate than the "experience-based" MU charts we see pop up constantly. It would also apply to the general audience way more than the MU charts used for purely competitive top-10 discussions.

BurdaA

Frost-Byte
Agreed - high w/l ratio doesn't necessarily mean good - but it does mean success regardless, which is a closer approximation to strength of the character than simply totals wins alone....

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
Hold on, you guys lol.

Win percentage would mean just as little with this many factors to consider anyway. For example, the more popular a character is overall, the more likely that is to actually boost their loss percentage, because good players make up such a smaller fraction of the overall player base compared to bad ones and aren't dispersed proportionally among the characters (i.e. competitive players will flock toward better characters and casual players to the more popular ones).

Gatekeeper characters that have an abusable strategy to secure wins against low level competition would likely have a higher win percentage too because the majority of competition would fall prey to that strategy no matter how good or bad the player and/or character might fair against higher-level competition who know how to overcome the "scrub tactics."

TL;DR: the stats are fake news no matter which way you slice it

South

I'd rather SHOW than TELL ~ Poison Ivy
But in that case wouldn't dead shot be top 3? Instead of low mid tier?

BurdaA

Frost-Byte
Hold on, you guys lol.

Win percentage would mean just as little with this many factors to consider anyway. For example, the more popular a character is overall, the more likely that is to actually boost their loss percentage, because good players make up such a smaller fraction of the overall player base compared to bad ones and aren't dispersed proportionally among the characters (i.e. competitive players will flock toward better characters and casual players to the more popular ones).

Gatekeeper characters that have an abusable strategy to secure wins against low level competition would likely have a higher win percentage too because the majority of competition would fall prey to that strategy no matter how good or bad the player and/or character might fair against higher-level competition who know how to overcome the "scrub tactics."

TL;DR: the stats are fake news no matter which way you slice it
Agree with this too, to a degree. But still maintain that w/l would be a better measure of 'online success' of a character than wins alone. Not a good metric regardless (as you say there are other factors at work), but would still represent a more meaningful/interesting statistic than simply number of wins.

Depends really on the question being asked, but I can't really think of a question I'd be interested in asking to which the answer would be given by total wins alone.