What's new

Starcraft 2 Thread

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Title says it all. Heart of the Swarm is right around the corner and I'm making this to gauge interest in the game overall. Discuss balance changes and the general state of Wings of Liberty here at your leisure.

Me? I'm a silver league terran player....if you don't understand that it translates to "I suck" at this game. :D I play casually with my friends and have fallen off the ladder over the past few months. My personal opinion on the game as-is is that zerg is the most powerful race and terran is the weakest race. If any discussion gets going on this I'll elaborate more on things. But for now, its good enough just having a thread created for it.

Diamond all across. I have HOTS reserved but I don't think I'll play much MP. 1v1 has become a second job at Masters+ and team games are mass spam, which is fine but not enough to keep me engaged.

Looking forward to flying zerglings in the SP campaign however =)

Killphil

This is crazy I know, as I didn't really play ums games much, but this game called BX monobattles is a 4v4 where you are randomly assigned one attacking unit but other than that the game plays regularly. So I get vikings...I need to tech to vikings before I actually have something to attack or defend with. Sounds silly, and it is, but its pretty fun using units that you don't use as much in regular games. Macro/Micro I'm doing with some friends and its also a neat twist to 1v1. Again I'm silver, I could of been higher, but like I said, I've fallen off the ladder. :(

Anyway because I'm a masochist I'll be sticking with terran when HotS drops. Although they look pretty powerful now....lol

I was a platinum terran when i played 2 years ago. Although I was trash, I just did cloak banshee rushes every game on that map where both players were close by air but far by land. I also would proxy a factory in my opponents base in a wayback corner and mass produce hellions on (i think?) lost temple (the 4 base green map) and go to town on mineral lines.

dat der cheese

I don't have any interest in purchasing HotS, but I'll definitely be watching the pro scene and a Let's Play of the campaign mode. Hopefully Day[9] or Destiny do one, they're my favorite personalities in the scene. (well destiny not so much anymore but still :p )

Oh, and have you guys seen StarCrafts? It's an animated web series (shorts! 1 minute long each); it's hilarious and adorable all at the same time. There's 20+ episodes, but I'll leave you with the second one here (the first is kinda worthless). You can follow annotations to watch all of them!

This is crazy I know, as I didn't really play ums games much, but this game called BX monobattles is a 4v4 where you are randomly assigned one attacking unit but other than that the game plays regularly. So I get vikings...I need to tech to vikings before I actually have something to attack or defend with. Sounds silly, and it is, but its pretty fun using units that you don't use as much in regular games. Macro/Micro I'm doing with some friends and its also a neat twist to 1v1. Again I'm silver, I could of been higher, but like I said, I've fallen off the ladder. :(

Anyway because I'm a masochist I'll be sticking with terran when HotS drops. Although they look pretty powerful now....lol
What if you are assigned Corruptors and the other guy Hellions?

Killphil

What if you are assigned Corruptors and the other guy Hellions?
Then you pray to your god that one of your teammates can cover your ass. There are certain limitations like allowing corruptors and other units into the game if everyone agrees to it. Its all random though. If you decide to random your race you get to "roll the dice" twice if you don't like the first unit you were given. I can't play toss or zerg so I just go to terran and get the first unit I'm assigned.

Then you pray to your god that one of your teammates can cover your ass. There are certain limitations like allowing corruptors and other units into the game if everyone agrees to it. Its all random though. If you decide to random your race you get to "roll the dice" twice if you don't like the first unit you were given. I can't play toss or zerg so I just go to terran and get the first unit I'm assigned.
I'm digging this mini game already sounds fun

Oh yeah you should watch all of the day[9] monobattles, there are some pretty funny ones.

Oh and starcrafts 6 is my favorite, sorry I have to link this one too haha

Killphil

Anyone keeping up with this have any thoughts on these changes to the beta?

Protoss

Oracle
-The duration for Envision has been increased from 30 to 60 seconds.

Terran

Widow Mine
-The primary target damage for Sentinel Missiles has been increased from 125 to 125 +35 vs. Shields.

Zerg

Hatchery
-The Pneumatized Carapace upgrade now only requires a Hatchery.

Infestor
-The projectile speed for Fungal Growth has been reduced from 15 to 12.

Spore Crawler
-The weapon damage for Acid Spew has been increased from 15 to 15 + 15 vs. Biological.

FrothyOmen: LMAO at that video! Here, an oldie but a goodie:

that nuclear launch detected at the end.

always gives me chills

No quote or words in any game ever,

makes me panic so hard.

Not even hearing "Kabal" on the character select screen even slightly affects me.

Nuclear launch detected?

My APM hits zero for a good 5 seconds while I scramble for the dot.

Killphil

that nuclear launch detected at the end.

always gives me chills

No quote or words in any game ever,

makes me panic so hard.

Not even hearing "Kabal" on the character select screen even slightly affects me.

Nuclear launch detected?

My APM hits zero for a good 5 seconds while I scramble for the dot.
Its so hilarious when we have multiple terrans in a team game and we hear that. My friend was furiously typing "its not me!" into the chat so I'm just waiting for some huge red blink on the map and praying that it isn't me. lol

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Im fucking hyped. I played SC in high school, havent played SC2 at all. Not interested in starting, but I always watch the MLGs and sometimes I tune in to Husky. I just love watching.

Killphil

Im fucking hyped. I played SC in high school, havent played SC2 at all. Not interested in starting, but I always watch the MLGs and sometimes I tune in to Husky. I just love watching.
This is one of those games where watching seems to be preferred over playing. If I wanted to be "good" at this game, I'd have to drop every other game/hobby that I have. I simply can't do that though, as my passion lies in mk.

Edit: Not to mention I'm a console gamer, not a PC gamer. I'm not as skilled using a mouse and keyboard.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
This is one of those games where watching seems to be preferred over playing. If I wanted to be "good" at this game, I'd have to drop every other game/hobby that I have. I simply can't do that though, as my passion lies in mk.

Edit: Not to mention I'm a console gamer, not a PC gamer. I'm not as skilled using a mouse and keyboard.
STRACRAFT TOO NO HAV RUNE TRAPPS! CANT PLYA IT!

I wouldn't say preferred. I'd just say it's "a highly watchable game" It's like football, you can play it and enjoy it if you're up to it. devote your life if you want to be pro. or you can do neither and just enjoy the sportsmanship and the game through media.

I mean I also like watching the professionals. But I like to play the game pretty casually. I mean I try hard to get good, but being best in the world at this game is not my top goal. The game is fun even at a newb's level.

when i lived in korea, they had 2 basic cable channels that non-stop had starcraft on them lol. I wish America would level up and get competitive gaming on cable television.

Rune Trap: Ht/collo/stalker/zealot

Net Reset: Winfestors/gglords = game over. lol

lol,

would Mutalisks be like Kenshi's zoning?

Killphil

lol,

would Mutalisks be like Kenshi's zoning?
The reason I say preferred is because for all the obs games I participate in, half the people don't even want to play. They're content to sit back and watch and pass the occasional stuck up comment.

I would say Broods are closer to kenshi's zoning and having infestors under them is like having infinite meter.

The reason I say preferred is because for all the obs games I participate in, half the people don't even want to play. They're content to sit back and watch and pass the occasional stuck up comment.

I would say Broods are closer to kenshi's zoning and having infestors under them is like having infinite meter.
Nah that's more like Freddy's zoning. whith his full screen frame traps.

Hype is not a strong enough word for what I feel right now.

Raynor is a damn man.

I'd almost go gay for him if he did that shit for me.

anyways, we should do TYM Themed Starcraft 2 tournaments

Killphil

Hype is not a strong enough word for what I feel right now.

Raynor is a damn man.

I'd almost go gay for him if he did that shit for me.

anyways, we should do TYM Themed Starcraft 2 tournaments
Well...I hadn't thought about it but I play other games with tymers so why the hell not? Whenever I play with randoms they just irk me the wrong way anyway. My sc2 moniker is the same as it is here. Don't remember the friend code though...lol

Well...I hadn't thought about it but I play other games with tymers so why the hell not? Whenever I play with randoms they just irk me the wrong way anyway. My sc2 moniker is the same as it is here. Don't remember the friend code though...lol
We'll talk about setting that up maybe a couple weeks after it's release.

I wanna destroy Story mode first thing.

Killphil

I don't consider this a spoiler, because there are some ominous things in the trailer that allude to it: Jim Raynor may die. Warfield's quote plus you see Kerrigan brutally pummeling(murdering) him in the trailer might make you think so. It could be a dream sequence, but it also might not be. Who knows at this point, but it might not turn out well for your Terran boyfriend Critical-Limit . :(

I don't consider this a spoiler, because there are some ominous things in the trailer that allude to it: Jim Raynor may die. Warfield's quote plus you see Kerrigan brutally pummeling(murdering) him in the trailer might make you think so. It could be a dream sequence, but it also might not be. Who knows at this point, but it might not turn out well for your Terran boyfriend Critical-Limit . :(
lol, I'm not gay for Raynor, cuz he didn't do that for me.

I'm still straight for now.

We also saw Kerrigan fighting herself, so I wouldn't jump the gun on any assumptions.