What's new

Standing 3 (or 4) as a possible anti-air?

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
So i've been in the lab with Sektor and I came up with some aa combos using his standing 3:

3 / TU - Away+2, 1 >> 1, 2 / FB = 33%
3 / TU - Away+2, 1 >> Away+3, 4 / TU = 34% (Very strict timing.)
3 / TU - Toward+4, 4 / TU = 26%
3 / TU - Toward+4, 4 (3) / MU - Away+2 / FB = 38%
3 / TU - Away+2, 1 >> Away+3, 4 / MU - Away+2 / FB = 43% (Very strict timing.)

Couple notes:
1. most of these aren't practical for online.
2. Using 4 instead of 3 does about 2-4% less damage.
3. Is this a viable option?

ryublaze

Noob
Standing 4 has its pros and cons IMO.

Pros:
- Good range
- Can lead to full combo

Cons:
- Slow
- Mistimed can lead to full combo punish

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
ketchup and i tested these possibilities a while back, we both think theyre far too unreliable, and at the range it works reliably you may as well go for standing 1 or b34 instead.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Funny you mention Sektor AAs, I was just lookin at them.

1 TU B21 B34 TU is 30% meterless, the trick to getting the b34 to connect is to do a small dash after the b21

Dont listen to Usedforglue either, he sucks.

ryublaze

Noob
Question...

Does the :ex upward rocket full screen make an instant TU safe?
I tested and if the opponent stands there and blocks then yeah you are safe. He can still uppercut you but will be hit by missile. There doesn't seem to be much of a point in doing this though since you'd waste meter and homing missile does no chip damage.

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
I tested and if the opponent stands there and blocks then yeah you are safe. He can still uppercut you but will be hit by missile. There doesn't seem to be much of a point in doing this though since you'd waste meter and homing missile does no chip damage.
No way man! You can out wait the missile and still have time to punish!

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Listen to UsedForGlue, as he can smash me in any day of the week when I can't [ban incoming] frame trap or bullshit sonya my way to gay wins. He's a real G.
Your starting to admit it man, and thats real progress, but I still hate you (also 12Gauge) and my Xbox Pad.

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
No way man! You can out wait the missile and still have time to punish!
full screen its safe, but if you move forward even just a little bit you can punish it by making the missle hit earlier lol. So for about 99% of the stage its unsafe

Speaking of standing 3, it cancels very fast into flamethrower, faster into it than anything else I'm aware of. Ending close up block pressure with 1, 3, flame looks cool and puts you at a nice safe distance (both 3 and flame push back). 4 by itself doesn't work cancelling into flame, but 124, flame works. It can also be used with straight missile, and up missiles. This can make your homing missile sort of safe. Pressure example-f2, d4, small dash, 13, homing missile, dash, leg stance 50/50 or throw.

A few other things I noticed while playing around in practice:
1.Sektor's Air to Air JK combos do not scale like his air to air JP combos. If you do an air to air jp, tp, f44, extp, b2, flame, it's about 26%. If you do an air to air jk, tp, f44, extp, b2, flame, it's about 36% (don't remember to well). If you do these combos on someone standing, it's about 38% for the JK combo, and like 35% for JP combo. Kind of weird.

2. Nobody talks much about NJKs as combo starters. For Sektor this is preferable to NJP starters, since his arms are very short and have no reach at all. A NJK has a wide range that it hits the opponent if they are in the air, much better than an air to air NJP. NJKs can also hit low blockers just as a NJP does. Unfortunately, both Sektor's NJP and NJK have to hit very low to hit low blockers, and his NJK on a low blocker might not be hit confirmable into a TP (haven't checked yet).

From these 2 points, it seems that it is always good idea to use a kick instead of punch when doing any of Sektor's air to airs or NJs. Either the kick does more damage (air2air), has more range (air2air NJK), or is even (low block NJK) with his punch.

3. When playing around with f4, flame, twice out of maybe 30 times I tested it, there was a flame on Sektor for a split second before it appeared on the opponent. weird and glitchy.

4 by itself doesn't work cancelling into flame, but 124, flame works. It can also be used with straight missile, and up missiles. This can make your homing missile sort of safe. Pressure example-f2, d4, small dash, 13, homing missile, dash, leg stance 50/50 or throw.
A naked 4 does cancel into all his specials and is preferable to 3 or 13 in this scenario. 4 is relatively fast and while it doesn't proved as much pushback on block if you cancel into something as 3 does, it has a greater range than 3 and, more importantly, it doesn't wiff on crouch like 3 and 1 do (3 connects on crouch in 13 but wiffs by itself).

A naked 4 does cancel into all his specials and is preferable to 3 or 13 in this scenario. 4 is relatively fast and while it doesn't proved as much pushback on block if you cancel into something as 3 does, it has a greater range than 3 and, more importantly, it doesn't wiff on crouch like 3 and 1 do (3 connects on crouch in 13 but wiffs by itself).
Ah, I knew 4 by itself cancelled into specials, but I wanted something that linked/comboed from his 1 jab, to not have a split second gap in his pressure, for someone to poke out off. 4 or 3 by themselves in the middle of pressure is too slow. That's why I used 13 and 124. But thanks for the reply and info on 4 not whiffing.

IKizzLE

BloodHound
AA 1, 12, TU, b34, ExTU,ender of your choice.
The best one is 1, TU,b21,b34,exTU, ender of your choice.

First one is more consistent and the second one is definitely range dependent.

NKZero

Noob
AA 1, 12, TU, b34, ExTU,ender of your choice.
The best one is 1, TU,b21,b34,exTU, ender of your choice.

First one is more consistent and the second one is definitely range dependent.
thanks a lot. i'll be using those now and will find a place to put them in my guide once the combo section is up and running :)