What's new

Stance Switch - Anyone know the purpose yet?

SilverKeyMan

Dropping Combos like a MotherFucker!
Has anyone figured out what exactly Stance Switch does yet? Other than the obvious 180 turn, of course.

Loot

the special effects
It affects certain combos, example being KL cannot spin after a landed 24 if the fighters are in opposite stances.

leek

Noob
From what I know it makes stagger state and some moves that spin the opponent look nicer, among other things. One of Sub-Zero's kicks, I think F+4 spins.

If I could remember the other reasons, I could tell you, but honestly right now I'm having a blackout.

I wanted to experiment with the stance switch today, for my first experiment i wanted to test the grab ranges. Like if ur in close stance and im in open will i be able yo reach out further to grab you? One day i was doing casuals with a bunch of friends and i was able to grab my opponent from a ridiculously far distance and i wonder why

Loot

the special effects
Another is if Cage and the other fighter are in opposite stances it is much harder to land his impractical sweep combo. Sheeva has a stance specific one as well.

leek

Noob
Another is if Cage and the other fighter are in opposite stances it is much harder to land his impractical sweep combo. Sheeva has a stance specific one as well.
That was it...the sweep combo.

thanks

Subby

Frost Warrior
So there ARE reasons behind that feature! Theres probobly more, but I'm not sure its gonna be as deep as I'm thinking it will be...

Kwon

---->----
Well, there should be MORE!

More characters should get some benefit of stance-switching and not just three.

There should be a general purpose ie some Kombos are only available from stance_X, others from stance_y, or some Special is doing more damage from Stance_x in comparison with Stance_y etc.

leek

Noob
The problem with the stance change though is that some normals and specials switch your stance without you actually even using the flip stance button.

Loot

the special effects
Well, there should be MORE!

More characters should get some benefit of stance-switching and not just three.

There should be a general purpose ie some Kombos are only available from stance_X, others from stance_y, or some Special is doing more damage from Stance_x in comparison with Stance_y etc.
Um, nothing I listed is a benefit but a hindrance. I'll toss up a video after looking at Sheeva's BnB.

catch22

GOD LAO FTW!!!
Has anyone figured out what exactly Stance Switch does yet? Other than the obvious 180 turn, of course.
I found this does great things to further your tea-bagging prowess, after you humiliate your foe, switch stance 3 times, over head jump your foe 3 times, then switch stance 3 times again.
This would make you a God in the MK realms :confused:

ManjoumeThunder

Just a mark
I just kinda figured it was remnants of the switching fighting styles thing 3D mk games had (Idk about MK v DC since I didn't really play it) and something to make X-Ray a 2 to 3 button technique (depending on your input preference).

I figured people would use it as a taunt, if they are an ass man (MK3 Sub-Zero users rejoice) or boob dude, doesn't know fatalities, or if they know any slight movement will make their opponent do something (might cause a twitch from the opponent to do something dumb).

Robotic

Gentleman.
I just kinda figured it was remnants of the switching fighting styles thing 3D mk games had (Idk about MK v DC since I didn't really play it) and something to make X-Ray a 2 to 3 button technique (depending on your input preference).

I figured people would use it as a taunt, if they are an ass man (MK3 Sub-Zero users rejoice) or boob dude, doesn't know fatalities, or if they know any slight movement will make their opponent do something (might cause a twitch from the opponent to do something dumb).
There's 8 buttons on the PS3 controller and NRS couldn't figure out for the life of them what to do with the 8th. Stance is window dressing. The fact that it affects some combos was most likely unintentional. I would have preferred a taunt button if we're reaching for the purpose of an 8th button.

No? I can't think of anything better.

SilverKeyMan

Dropping Combos like a MotherFucker!
I would have preferred a taunt button if we're reaching for the purpose of an 8th button.
Oh god no. I hate accidentally pressing taunt buttons in the middle of a fight.

EDIT: A non-offensive ROLL button would have been sweet for closing ground or avoiding giant Shokans raining down from the ceiling.

Kwon

---->----
Would also be nice if there was a special punch/kick made after pressing either FP or FK right after the Stance-Switch.

Like,
StanceSwitch~FP = Special Punch
StanceSwitch~FK = Special Kick

Similar to techniques/kicks during sidestepping in the Tekken-series.

As it stands now, not that much purpose of Stanceswitching in MK9, but would love to see it.

VIDA

Focused Grace and Intensity
Pablo and Edwards said it was just an aesthetic thing, like if u were an ass man or tit man when playing the girlies. Srk says it could be used to feint movement or act as the closest thing to a taunt button.

D_W

The Could-Have-Been King
It's the dance button when mashed.

But yeah, apparently it is a left over from an earlier time in the game development.