• Its totally fair

Votes: 21 80.8%
  • Keep all outside interference out!!!

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
Dude thanks for my tournament strategy man!! Im gonna start bringing a big ole binder with me to tourneys so i could psych out my opponent by taking notes during the pauses, and take peoples pictures and make profiles of them and everything.
King Hippo carries a small note pad.

coolwhip

Noob
i would hope it wouldn't be in a casual discussion post. Thanks for the contribution.
It's not a big deal because coaching is only taking place for a minute tops (it's not like the game is held up forever), and ultimately, the player still has to make the adjustments and execute. It doesn't make a HUGE difference most of the time, and it's still 1 on 1 competition.

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
Dude thanks for my tournament strategy man!! Im gonna start bringing a big ole binder with me to tourneys so i could psych out my opponent by taking notes during the pauses, and take peoples pictures and make profiles of them and everything. My torney name shall be hence forth known AS PSYCHO PEDIA!!!!
There's an app for that. It is called MatchupNotes. Its pretty cool

NorCalSamurai

Bacon Lettuce Tomato
The point of a tournament is for the better player to win the bracket.

And distractions come with the territory of a tournament match.

There is no rule that says you cant bring a note pad with strats, or have your training partner next to you reminding you to play like you did during practice time.
You bring up an interesting point. If a tournament banned coaching, where does that end? "Sorry Pig, you can't look at your Injustice notebook because no one else brought a notebook." or "I just saw you talk to your friend, was he coaching you? I can't prove he wasn't, so I'm taking a game."

Reactions: d3v

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I always tough coach was a bit unfair, at least during tournaments, but it seems USA has a different perspective about it. Well, i still don't like much coaching, and i think its dumb when a bunch of people just to teach someone who should have notice why he is losing. Specially in the top 8, nobody should be coached in the top 8.

But there is situations where is understandable, like when someone is completely lost, or his opponent is getting away with some gimmick, but that's it, beyond that i think its a bit bad.

But who am i to judge, US has teams, if they're being coached by their team members then is fair lol.

d3v

SRK
You bring up an interesting point. If a tournament banned coaching, where does that end? "Sorry Pig, you can't look at your Injustice notebook because no one else brought a notebook." or "I just saw you talk to your friend, was he coaching you? I can't prove he wasn't, so I'm taking a game."
Reminds of of EVO 2012 where Infiltration had notes on every top Street Fighter player on his phone which eventually helped him win the championship.

As for coaching, it happens, people want to see their boy win. I've had a player (FChamp) who wasn't even in the tournament, let alone in the same country, actually tweet stuff to for me or our other friends to tell another player (IPT.Garret) for his grand finals match in Marvel.

Point is, it will happen and it is just part of the community and our culture.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
it is just part of the community and our culture.
For sure. Imo it's part of sporting events in general, whichever game you play. Boxers and fighters have corners, there are offensive coordinators, swing coaches and caddys, hitting coaches, etc.

d3v

SRK
You also have to consider that the players aren't isolated from the spectators and that players have to deal with spectator interaction - both in terms of dealing with spectators that may or may not be friendly or hostile, and people shouting in advice over them. This lack of isolation is considered a big part of the culture, to the point where UltraDavid, on being asked about players being affected by in house commentary, stated that he would rather lose the in house commentary over players being isolated from the spectators.