Is coaching fair?

• Its totally fair

Votes: 21 80.8%
  • Keep all outside interference out!!!

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters

SuppaSapien3

Chipotle and Olive Garden are NOT authentic
After watching some tournaments for a while I noticed that there was a topic that was talked about a bit. What are your stances on coaching and outside help?

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
It's not a big deal.. If you lose to someone because they were koached you probably had some gimmicky as sh*t you shouldn't have been getting away with.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I've never lost in a tourney (Tekken) feeling like coaching made a difference, and I've beaten people who were "coached".

I think it's just part of the game like any other sport. You listen to the advice and consider applying it, maybe you do and maybe you don't, but that's about it. Sometimes it helps and sometimes it makes no difference. I don't think it makes a huge difference in the grand scheme of things.

SuppaSapien3

My stance on it is that a person should play the game based on what he sees. When you add coaching in the mix, you have a second pair of eyes analyzing the situation seeing things that you are not catching, effectively giving the player a different perspective that they might have not had otherwise. its just like taking a driving test. If you have someone there telling you that there is a bump in the road that you didn't see yourself, how is that fair for the person who had to take the test alone?

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
My stance on it is that a person should play the game based on what he sees. When you add coaching in the mix, you have a second pair of eyes analyzing the situation seeing things that you are not catching, effectively giving the player a different perspective that they might have not had otherwise. its just like taking a driving test. If you have someone there telling you that there is a bump in the road that you didn't see yourself, how is that fair for the person who had to take the test alone?
No such thing as fair. Coaching is just part of the lifestyle. I would want a different prospective in a match if I'm losing.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
I am definitely all for coaching, but remember that each player is wired differently. Some can concentrate better without being spoken to while others are motivated by the support. It is also advisable to do so in-between matches rather than in the middle of one.

Shout-outs to @Emperor SaltFace for taking 5th place in his first big major for Killer Instinct, with me coaching him from the side. :)

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
If you are serious about winning a tournament or at least getting top 8 then you have a gameplan coming in.

Most guys who are getting "Coach" didn't have a gameplan to begin with...

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
I am definitely all for coaching, but remember that each player is wired differently. Some can concentrate better without being spoken to while others are motivated by the support. It is also advisable to do so in-between matches rather than in the middle of one.

Shout-outs to @Emperor SaltFace for taking 5th place in his first big major for Killer Instinct, with me coaching him from the side. :)
Orchid?

Goldi

Noob
Between matches it's fine. But I've played games where my opponent was coached against me through the whole thing, that's REALLY annoying. And I've had to tell coaches to stfu and let me play lol. Coaching on character select screen only, please.

SuppaSapien3

No such thing as fair. Coaching is just part of the lifestyle. I would want a different prospective in a match if I'm losing.
Isnt the point of a tournament for two people to have a equal playing field with limited outside distractions to see who is better. And just because you both can have a coach doesn't mean both coaches have the same knowledge. If thats the case then there should be a person whos job it is to be the same tournament coach for who should help both players if they need it, and not from someone they know.

NorCalSamurai

Bacon Lettuce Tomato
Not a big deal. Keep it to one person at the station at a time tho, no need for crowds of coaches. Honestly, if you have a problem with coaching, you probably got freed up. Get better, get a scene, talk to people, learn from others. If you're gonna turn down help for purist reasons when that help would win you a set, then you deserve what you get. You play to win the game.

NorCalSamurai

Bacon Lettuce Tomato
Isnt the point of a tornament for two people to have a equal playing field with limited outside distractions to see who is better. And just beacause you both can have a coach doesnt mean both coaches have the same knowledge. If thats the case then there should be a person whos job it is to be a tournament coach who should help both players if they need it, and not from someone they know.
Sounds like a cop out. "Oh, he had a coach, so that's the only reason I lost. Not my unwillingness to adapt to changes, Not the fact that I got outplayed, it's because someone came up and told him something about the matchup. I demand coaching be banned."

If you're the better player, then coaching won't mean shit. Yet another community option select.

Not targetting you, Suppa, just a general example.

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
Isnt the point of a tournament for two people to have a equal playing field with limited outside distractions to see who is better. And just because you both can have a coach doesn't mean both coaches have the same knowledge. If thats the case then there should be a person whos job it is to be the same tournament coach for who should help both players if they need it, and not from someone they know.
Both coaches dont need equal knowledge. Like Goldy and Samurai said, one coach and only during char select

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
The point of a tournament is for the better player to win the bracket.

And distractions come with the territory of a tournament match.

There is no rule that says you cant bring a note pad with strats, or have your training partner next to you reminding you to play like you did during practice time.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
Between matches it's fine. But I've played games where my opponent was coached against me through the whole thing, that's REALLY annoying. And I've had to tell coaches to stfu and let me play lol. Coaching on character select screen only, please.
Agreed. No coaching during the actual match, but I think it's fine between matches.

SuppaSapien3

The point of a tournament is for the better player to win the bracket.

And distractions come with the territory of a tournament match.

There is no rule that says you cant bring a note pad with strats, or have your training partner next to you reminding you to play like you did during practice time.
Dude thanks for my tournament strategy man!! Im gonna start bringing a big ole binder with me to tourneys so i could psych out my opponent by taking notes during the pauses, and take peoples pictures and make profiles of them and everything. My torney name shall be hence forth known AS PSYCHO PEDIA!!!!