What's new

Stage selection rules

Should these stage rules be tournament standard going forward?

• Yes

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • No

Votes: 11 64.7%

• Total voters
Ok here is my 2cents on how Injustice tournaments should handle stage selection. Before anything each competitor should verify with their opponent if they are ready to start the match or they would like to do button check.

• First game 50/50
  • Loser gets to select stage or change character
  • If loser wants to pick the stage they must remain the same character
  • If loser wants to change character then it becomes a 50/50 again
Reason I say no random for first match is because you see what stage it is soon as you go into character select, this could influence character selection. Also reason why no random if loser returns to character selection screen is they might get the stage they want to change to randomly and still be able to change character.

SilverKeyMan

Dropping Combos like a MotherFucker!
Let me get this straight...
  • Not every character is created equal.
  • Not every stage is equal for every character.
Rather than deal with the added complexity of stage match ups, or use the tools provided with the game (50/50), we could instead whine and make multiple threads, each expressing a single users opinion, on how this should be officially handled.

Or... you know... we could actually learn how to play our chosen characters on EACH stage.
  • Atlantis? Zone the shit out of anyone sitting in the corner by a wheel.
  • Wayne Manor? Keep pressure on opponents by the car. If by the car myself, go for a knockdown and detonate the car as I spring off of it.
And before you say "my character is more level-dependent than yours", I play a gadget character that can't even jump to reach certain interactables if I'm in the wrong stance.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Let me get this straight...
  • Not every character is created equal.
  • Not every stage is equal for every character.
Rather than deal with the added complexity of stage match ups, or use the tools provided with the game (50/50), we could instead whine and make multiple threads, each expressing a single users opinion, on how this should be officially handled.

Or... you know... we could actually learn how to play our chosen characters on EACH stage.
  • Atlantis? Zone the shit out of anyone sitting in the corner by a wheel.
  • Wayne Manor? Keep pressure on opponents by the car. If by the car myself, go for a knockdown and detonate the car as I spring off of it.
And before you say "my character is more level-dependent than yours", I play a gadget character that can't even jump to reach certain interactables if I'm in the wrong stance.
Yea, zone Deathstroke in Atlantis. Especially as someone like Catwoman or Bane who lack projectiles. Makes sense.

NMISM-Grinch

Skrull Queen Pleaser
i like the idea of first match 50/50, loser then chooses the stage, then 50/50 for the starting point of the loser's stage if the winner so desires. That's just my 2 cents though.

SilverKeyMan

But it does not justify the fact that the hydro pumps are complete BS. Especially since you can armor them.
Disclaimer: My PS3 is currently at school (I'm hosting a tournament for my students), so I can't actually test anything that I'm suggesting. At best I can say that these are possible solutions regarding characters that I don't actually play.

How do you get past the hydro pumps as Bane? I'd suggest trying to use Venom to gain armor and rush Deathstroke when he's in the middle of an attack. Should be able to get in his face fast enough he won't have time to turn the pump. I believe his charge attack even leaves him on the opposite side, giving him the pump advantage.

How do you get past the hydro pumps as Catwoman? Probably best to bait them out once, then dash block in while the interactable is inactive.

This game is incredibly well balanced, just not as 1-dimensional as people are used to. Instead of a single variable (character match up), there are two (character match ups; stage match ups) or sometimes even three (character match ups; stage match ups; stance match ups) to consider. Enjoy the variety and additional strategy rather than calling for unnecessary restrictions.

SilverKeyMan

Dude, why can't you be my teacher?
Way off topic, but I'm actually thinking about starting up a video game league next year, where teams of 4 compete in a variety of different game genres to earn points towards a year-end total. =P

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Disclaimer: My PS3 is currently at school (I'm hosting a tournament for my students), so I can't actually test anything that I'm suggesting. At best I can say that these are possible solutions regarding characters that I don't actually play.

How do you get past the hydro pumps as Bane? I'd suggest trying to use Venom to gain armor and rush Deathstroke when he's in the middle of an attack. Should be able to get in his face fast enough he won't have time to turn the pump. I believe his charge attack even leaves him on the opposite side, giving him the pump advantage.

How do you get past the hydro pumps as Catwoman? Probably best to bait them out once, then dash block in while the interactable is inactive.

This game is incredibly well balanced, just not as 1-dimensional as people are used to. Instead of a single variable (character match up), there are two (character match ups; stage match ups) or sometimes even three (character match ups; stage match ups; stance match ups) to consider. Enjoy the variety and additional strategy rather than calling for unnecessary restrictions.

Bane can't do that if you armor the Hydro pumps. As Catwoman, you might as well bait and punish the guns instead of the Hydro Pump. DS wouldn't be dependant on the Pumps as a primary tool.

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
Bane can't do that if you armor the Hydro pumps. As Catwoman, you might as well bait and punish the guns instead of the Hydro Pump. DS wouldn't be dependant on the Pumps as a primary tool.
Couldn't you MBF3 and absorb the armor, then punish?

SilverKeyMan

Please re-read the following:
He uses the Pumps when you actually get in, not using it to zone you out.
I never suggested the interactable was Deathstroke's primary zoning technique. I suggested one possible solution could be baiting out the interactable, leaving it inoperative, then dash blocking past the zoning. By baiting it you might get hit by it, sure, but then it is inactive and you can rush in. Simply, if he uses it once, you have a window where you don't need to worry about it.

Even if this solution doesn't work, that doesn't mean that Deathstroke is invincible in this stage. Nightwing simply needs to meter burn his staff's ground spark to get in. Other characters have similar tools.

Every stage has possible advantages and disadvantages for each character. A match up might swing in your favor on one stage, but not another. This doesn't mean that the stages are unbalanced or unfair for tournament play, it simply adds another dimension to the game. If it is that much of an issue for you, pick a character (power or gadget, depending on your playstyle) that benefits from the placement of interactables on the stage, and learn how each stage affects your matchups.

Drawing from personal experience, I use Nightwing. In some character matchups I'm better in Staff stance, but on the level with the robot flyers overhead (can't remember which one), I'm at a horrible disadvantage in this stance. I need to switch to escrima stance, putting me at a disadvantage against my opponent, just so I can get the advantage of using interactables. Should I petition for this stage to be banned, or additional rules be created so I don't need to learn to deal with this problem, or should I learn how best to handle this situation?

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Please re-read the following:

I never suggested the interactable was Deathstroke's primary zoning technique. I suggested one possible solution could be baiting out the interactable, leaving it inoperative, then dash blocking past the zoning. By baiting it you might get hit by it, sure, but then it is inactive and you can rush in. Simply, if he uses it once, you have a window where you don't need to worry about it.

Even if this solution doesn't work, that doesn't mean that Deathstroke is invincible in this stage. Nightwing simply needs to meter burn his staff's ground spark to get in. Other characters have similar tools.

Every stage has possible advantages and disadvantages for each character. A match up might swing in your favor on one stage, but not another. This doesn't mean that the stages are unbalanced or unfair for tournament play, it simply adds another dimension to the game. If it is that much of an issue for you, pick a character (power or gadget, depending on your playstyle) that benefits from the placement of interactables on the stage, and learn how each stage affects your matchups.

Drawing from personal experience, I use Nightwing. In some character matchups I'm better in Staff stance, but on the level with the robot flyers overhead (can't remember which one), I'm at a horrible disadvantage in this stance. I need to switch to escrima stance, putting me at a disadvantage against my opponent, just so I can get the advantage of using interactables. Should I petition for this stage to be banned, or additional rules be created so I don't need to learn to deal with this problem, or should I learn how best to handle this situation?

I understand what you're saying. But I'm not saying that DS + Hydro Pumps are fullproof either. as for the Catwoman thing, when she gets in, does her pressure, maybe will get a combo. When that Hydro Pump cools down, it's the same game all over again. Unless of course Catwoman is able to push DS mid-screen. But there's still the tube.

SilverKeyMan

I understand what you're saying. But I'm not saying that DS + Hydro Pumps are fullproof either. as for the Catwoman thing, when she gets in, does her pressure, maybe will get a combo. When that Hydro Pump cools down, it's the same game all over again. Unless of course Catwoman is able to push DS mid-screen. But there's still the tube.
The hydro pump takes so long to get started, as long as she keeps the pressure up she can knock him out of the animation before he manages to turn it.