What's new

SSFIV Combos & Basics (FAQ)

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Ok, I could go on SRK about this but I'd rather ask you guys. :)

Anywho, I main Ryu and I would like to learn the following:

1. How do you cancel? Meaning moves, focus attack, etc
2. I see people like Daigo and Riu and others who use Ryu do simple combos like the medium downward double punch (LOL) and it flows into an ultra... what the hell is that combo? Yes, yes... I am a noob. :rant:

Anywho, try not to make fun of me too much... :(

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
1. Cancels are the exact same thing as MKDC's cancels, only there's more. Most light attacks can be cancelled into each other via chaining, which is simply pressing the button. Focus cancels are done by doing the focus attack in a small time frame after a normal/special is performed.

2. You mean from his overhead or his slide punch?

For question 2 do you mean the command normals? (I think thats what they're called). Basically characters have basic moves they can add a directional input to to get a new move. Ryu's Forward+HP makes him slide and hit twice, or while close to the opponent Heavy Punch will do an overhead punch.

1. How do you cancel? Meaning moves, focus attack, etc
In terms of RYU

Normals (lp, mp, cr. mk. etc) are chained together through timing based on frames. The more frames between a link the easier it is to connect. For example, lp lp lp. The less frames between a link like F+HP>cr.HP the link becomes harder. harder and easier meaning more strict timing.

lp and mk are used mainly for hit confirming. Hit confirming is using light safe normals to link to more damaging otherwise unsafe normals and special moves. For instance, new players like to Jump in HK>SRK (Very Unsafe if blocked and just too much risk), but if you were to Jump in HK>cr.lp>cr.lp>SRK it would be SAFER because you did not attempt and unsafe move with out confirming the hit first. This becomes more clear through playing experience.

A move can be cancelled out by FOCUS ATTACK by using an FADC. This is done by holding focus attack and while holding the focus attack dashing out of it.

Simple example SRK>FADC>Ultra. Steps (must have 2 EX meters) , do SRK>hold down focus attack>while holding down focus attack dash out>wait a bit> hit ultra. If you do not wait the ultra will go through and not hit.

2. I see people like Daigo and Riu and others who use Ryu do simple combos like the medium downward double punch (LOL) and it flows into an ultra... what the hell is that combo? Yes, yes... I am a noob.
F+mp links only to crlp but it is a crazy 1 frame link. You might actually just be getting mixed up and once they to the F+mp you are standing up and then comboed into ultra.

~NAKM~

Tekken, SF4: AE, BB: CP, and Persona 4: Arena
Someone just freakin tell him how to do the Shoryuken > FADC > ultra.

The combo that Daigo does ALL the time is:

light Shoryuken > FADC (or in Barney terms, quickly press 2+4 as soon as light shoryuken connects) > ultra

Tadaaaaa!!!!