What's new

[SPECULATION] Ed Boon mentions 30+ playable characters in Injustice 2?

Gamer68

Fujin!
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/mortal-kombat-vs-injustice-series-creator-ed-boon-/1100-6448475/?ftag=GSS-05-10aaa0b

Interesting interview about the creation of NRS' most recent fighters, and the design decisions for those games. But something that stood out to me while reading this, was this:

"Q: Where do you draw that line? What is that point, and how do you avoid it?

A: It's certainly not anything that I could say of like, "Nine features and nothing over nine." [Laughs] It's more of like a feeling. The more recent games that we've done have been very content heavy. We have this very elaborate story mode, we have all these online modes, and we have many characters, thirty-plus characters in the game. We're always piling on more stuff, but there've been a couple ideas that have been really cool that we've just gone, "You know what? Let's save that one for the next game." And also, just finishing the game on time. So there's always kind of that line, but I don't think there's a formula that we follow."

Keep in-mind that he could be including DLC, but if he IS talking about the base-game -- which is what it seems they were talking about -- we could actually be in for a few surprises. Kinda unexpected for me, and I'm still not getting my hopes up, but we'll see...

Gamer68

Fujin!
Could easily be talking about DLC or character skins.
28+ DLC dawg
Like I posted in the OP, I'm not completely sold on it either, and I do think he could be counting DLC. Still, I thought it was worth pointing out because there's always a possibility he was just talking about the base game -- especially when you consider the fact that he was talking about jam-packing the base game with content.

Lokheit

Noob
Member when he exagerated how many brand new characters we would get on MKX? I member. Probably just around 30-31 not counting DLCs

Gamer68

Fujin!
You're smarter than that Gamer. It's DLC. It's Boon.
I've said multiple times in this thread that I'm not sold on it. And tons of times in the past I've said that I don't think it will happen. Trust me, I know there's probably a 99% chance that it's just DLC.

I just wanted to post it here to see what you guys thought about it. At the end of the day, it is a interesting interview and still worth the read.

Gamer68

Fujin!
I thought this was already common knowledge?
From the leaks and rumors going around, it's always been at 28-30 characters including Darkseid. So 30+ is a bigger number.

But like me and pretty much everyone else in this thread says, he's most likely just including the DLC characters. In which case, yes, 30-40 has been the expected number since forever.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
If you are basing this solely on what you underlined, he doesn't say INJ2 will have 30+, in fact he is really framing stuff in the past tense - like how MKX ended up with over 30. It probably means he is thinking a little bit about IJ2 but that's an assumption. Even then is it DLC or not? No way of knowing.

For a great many little reasons, there is every reason to think we will get something in that range (at some point), but this is in no way confirmation of anything. It's merely somewhat suggestive evidence that can be added to what else is out there.

It takes way too much reading in between the lines and assumption bounding to get to what the title says, which makes it sound like he actually gave a number when he didn't. I tried to skim the interview for anything else suggesting what the title does but didn't find it.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Goddamn click-bait. Title should be edited.

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
What can I say except I love the passion that you guys have. You've been on the website, counted the character spaces, read all the interviews and dissected every tweet.

I don't know if it's 28, 30 or 40, but I do know May is closer than it seems. All will be revealed soon.

Gamer68

Fujin!
It takes way too much reading in between the lines and assumption bounding to get to what the title says, which makes it sound like he actually gave a number when he didn't. I tried to skim the interview for anything else suggesting what the title does but didn't find it.
Goddamn click-bait. Title should be edited.
Sorry guys, I didn't think it was a bad title. But I've updated it with a speculation tag, tell me if it's better. If not, then feel free to suggest something.