What's new

Spawn won’t be in Fighter Pack 3

protools27

Rebel without a scene
Since Injustice 2 launched and maybe before, rumors and other things have centered on Spawns potential inclusion in the Injustice 2 roster. I am here to tell you that it won’t happen.

Now, before you go telling me how much of an idiot I am for not having a spawn tattoo on both of my arms, hear me out.

The reason Spawn is not going to be in Fighter Pack 3 has nothing to do with how awesome of a character Spawn has the potential to be, and everything to do with his potential at the same time.

Confused? Ask yourself this: would you rather play as Spawn in a T for teen super hero game, with little to no blood, and cheesy super hero lines?

Or would you rather play as Spawn in MK11, ripping people’s heads off with blood going everywhere, limbs removed from torsos, and other Spawn related activities?

Spawn makes an infinitely better character in the MK universe than in the INJ universe, and even if he was included in FP3, I think it would be doing his character an “injustice”. See what I did there?

What do you think?

True Grave

Giving The Gift Of Graves
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If Spawn isn't in I2 for their DLC then he will be in MK11 since NRS holds licensing rights. I also wouldn't be the least bit surprised if one day we see a horror movie FG made by NRS.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
NRS couldn't afford the highly lucrative Spawn licenses, so they had to settle for Necrid instead.

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If Spawn isn't in I2 for their DLC then he will be in MK11 since NRS holds licensing rights. I also wouldn't be the least bit surprised if one day we see a horror movie FG made by NRS.
To be clear: they do not actually hold the licensing rights. McFarlane made a comment one time saying he'd love to see Spawn in an MK game. They would still have to pay for them, and Boon was confused when someone mentioned it to him in an interview.

True Grave

Giving The Gift Of Graves
To be clear: they do not actually hold the licensing rights. McFarlane made a comment one time saying he'd love to see Spawn in an MK game. They would still have to pay for them, and Boon was confused when someone mentioned it to him in an interview.
Yeah they'd have to pay for him, but I thought I had read somewhere that they had rights to use him. I know for a fact that Spawn isn't affiliated with the DC universe so chances if him being in I2 are probably low when you look at it. Either way that's all politics for them...I just want Spawn goddammit.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
The reason Spawn is not going to be in Fighter Pack 3 has nothing to do with how awesome of a character Spawn has the potential to be...
...and everything to do with other WB media products release schedule. So watch out for long-term announcements.

protools27

Rebel without a scene
Yeah they'd have to pay for him, but I thought I had read somewhere that they had rights to use him. I know for a fact that Spawn isn't affiliated with the DC universe so chances if him being in I2 are probably low when you look at it. Either way that's all politics for them...I just want Spawn goddammit.
Yea, to be clear, I do want Spawn in an NRS game. I just want M rated blood thirsty spawn, not T rated watered down Spawn.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian

Skedar70

Noob
Where did people get this NRS holds licensing rights. All I heard was that McFarlane was open to the idea of including Spawn in a fighting game. Never heard of any actual deals at all though.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
That's what it was. I must have misinterpreted it as them having the right to use him as opposed to a window of opportunity.
It didn't help that every yahoo on the internet saw that and just decided that Mcfarlane sold the rights to Spawn to WB in perpetuity. This was one of them "FAKE NEWS" stories you hear about

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
You know what other characters in Injustice 2 would be much better suited for MK11?

Sub-Zero and Raiden.

Yeah...
EXACTLY! Even though, Spawn is suited more for a M rating game, its still a possibility he could make it just by popular demand alone. They did the same thing with Jedah from Darkstarkers transitioning into MVCi. They made all his bloody gory moves into purple goopy animations.....yeah....lame, but hes one of the best characters in that game. They could do the exact same with Spawn.

The BIG reveal is tonight, and I dunno about y'all, but I will have my glass of wine ready, anticipation on 100, and my eyes glued to the tube! :l:qtl:cool::qtr:r

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Was anybody else here for when this reason wasn't good enough for Leatherface to be in MK?
Well it seems that NRS like to with certain themes. Leatherface was plausible because of Jason, which means horror movie theme. We're about to get Hellboy which is a non DC guest comic book character and so is Spawn. See the relation? It would make since in that regard if Spawn makes it. Who knows, they might put him in BOTH IJ2 and MK11 if the reception is good enough.

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
That's what it was. I must have misinterpreted it as them having the right to use him as opposed to a window of opportunity.
Ed Boon said this was all made up by McFarlane, though. He was very confused when someone asked him about this 'deal'.

McFarlane is a notorious liar and thief lmao so like I would not be shocked if it was some moneymaking scheme on his part.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I really hope he never makes it into Injustice... or MK..