What's new

Sorting though the variations

Hey all,

So after maining Baraka Marauder practically since launch, I want to pick up a new character to really delve into. How do you all sort though the characters' variations and really understand how they differ and which are viable? I don't mind doing some experimentation, but I want to avoid spending a lot of time on a bunk variation for a character that clearly has a superior counterpart. Is it just a matter of digging through threads to look for stuff people have posted, or is there a good resource people recommend to get a sense of how each characters' gameplans change with their variations (and which to avoid entirely). Thanks in advance for whatever advice you have!

This makes me think you care alot about your win ratio from you asking for the stronger var's and not bother trying the rest? Correct me if i'm wrong, for sure. But as someone who gives zero F@#k about winning and others seeing my negative ratio i mainly enjoy the weaker char's/var's the most and trying them out in ranked. But if you realize a players win record doesn't tell you anything about their actual skill you shouldn't care about winning too much yourself. in that case give the lesser favored var's a try!? My 2 cents, hope it's of use to you a littlebit.

This makes me think you care alot about your win ratio from you asking for the stronger var's and not bother trying the rest? Correct me if i'm wrong, for sure. But as someone who gives zero F@#k about winning and others seeing my negative ratio i mainly enjoy the weaker char's/var's the most and trying them out in ranked. But if you realize a players win record doesn't tell you anything about their actual skill you shouldn't care about winning too much yourself. in that case give the lesser favored var's a try!? My 2 cents, hope it's of use to you a littlebit.
Hey, thanks for replying. It's not win ratio, it's more that I only have so much time to play the game. I already know I'm only going to get so good, so I just want to kinda target variations that I have a reasonable chance to win with. I'd rather not pick one kind of at random, spend a ton of hours on that playstyle, and then learn that it was never really viable to begin with. I'm not interested in just choosing a popular variation so I can rack up wins, but I'd rather not be swimming upstream the whole time I'm playing if that makes sense.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
It's a little outdated but I actually made a thread for this exact purpose. I'm gonna try to update it soon but it has a little write up for every variation outside of the last couple DLC characters. Tells you what moves each variation has and a little info about how to use it. I don't talk about balance though.

Hey, thanks for replying. It's not win ratio, it's more that I only have so much time to play the game. I already know I'm only going to get so good, so I just want to kinda target variations that I have a reasonable chance to win with. I'd rather not pick one kind of at random, spend a ton of hours on that playstyle, and then learn that it was never really viable to begin with. I'm not interested in just choosing a popular variation so I can rack up wins, but I'd rather not be swimming upstream the whole time I'm playing if that makes sense.
Makes perfect sense, so point taken.

Hebrew Negro

KingofBosz97 XBL
I wouldn't make a decision based on what's viable or not, do what feels right for you. With that being said, I main v3 d'vorah for most matchups.

It's a little outdated but I actually made a thread for this exact purpose. I'm gonna try to update it soon but it has a little write up for every variation outside of the last couple DLC characters. Tells you what moves each variation has and a little info about how to use it. I don't talk about balance though.

Ah nice, thanks for this! This will at least help me kinda understand the play style for a variation so I can play to its strengths.

Maybe there's a different question I should be asking here. I haven't played in a while, but I know last year when I was more active there was talk of some characters' variations just being a total waste of time because the moves just didn't really work together in practice to support a cohesive play style, or just kind of felt thrown together. Those are kind of the situations I'm trying to avoid here when I say I'm wondering what the "viable" variations are. Has the game sort of gotten better in that regard where most variations have some amount of value?