What's new

Question - Sorcerer Sorceror Quan Chi Buff too much?

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
I've been messing around with the idea for this buff a bit. I suggest that we buff Quan's Meter Circle so that it steals meter from his opponents and returns it to Quan. Dropping down that Circle, currently, doesn't give him much. Drain meter from my opponent is no where as good as the Chip damage we can get or the armor circle. So would it be too insane for the circle to steal meter from his opponent and then give it to Quan?

The properties could be that each succesful hit gives an equal amount to Quan that was stolen from an opponent. After all he doesn't steal an insane amount of meter unless he's zoning effectively. By that I meant connecting, not just on block. Most of his best damage comes from the chip from Chip Circle or safety from Armor Circle. So he trades off both of these to get more MB damage for succesfully reading and zoning his opponent down. The counter play could simply be blocking, or going for the risk and trying to be aggressive.

Thoughts on this?

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
I agree that the purple portal is useless, but even without it, Sorcorer is a top tier variation. I'd like to see it gain a use, but wouldn't want to see it get pushed into the realm of giving him too many tools.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
I agree that the purple portal is useless, but even without it, Sorcorer is a top tier variation. I'd like to see it gain a use, but wouldn't want to see it get pushed into the realm of giving him too many tools.
I understand that and I figure this buff would be similar to the chip circle. It's not a tool that becomes bread and butter. It's a situation where you think you can use it properly. It wouldn't really be effective in the corner because it would only apply to his zoning tools, not just chip in general, so it's a risk you play at full screen. Since Quan already struggles if someone can get into his face, that'll be what you risk if they can get out of the zone pressure. On the other side you'd gain nothing extra if your opponent succesfully blocks your attacks. So there's definatelly more risk/reward without there being too much to unbalance him I think.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I've been messing around with the idea for this buff a bit. I suggest that we buff Quan's Meter Circle so that it steals meter from his opponents and returns it to Quan. Dropping down that Circle, currently, doesn't give him much. Drain meter from my opponent is no where as good as the Chip damage we can get or the armor circle. So would it be too insane for the circle to steal meter from his opponent and then give it to Quan?

The properties could be that each succesful hit gives an equal amount to Quan that was stolen from an opponent. After all he doesn't steal an insane amount of meter unless he's zoning effectively. By that I meant connecting, not just on block. Most of his best damage comes from the chip from Chip Circle or safety from Armor Circle. So he trades off both of these to get more MB damage for succesfully reading and zoning his opponent down. The counter play could simply be blocking, or going for the risk and trying to be aggressive.

Thoughts on this?
Let me respond with what he already has as a reason not to give him meter drain for free. Circle that gives super armour for longer than anybody should ever have it and he doesn't even fall asleep like Jason.
/thread

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Let me respond with what he already has as a reason not to give him meter drain for free. Circle that gives super armour for longer than anybody should ever have it and he doesn't even fall asleep like Jason.
/thread
His circle only gives him one hit of armor. Any multi hitting move will break it close range. If he trades fire balls with his opponent he's lost that armor for 5 secs which opens him for punishes or puts him on the defensive. I'm not saying that circle isn't really strong but it has exploitable weaknesses.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
His circle only gives him one hit of armor. Any multi hitting move will get him in close range. If he trades fire balls with his opponent he's lost that armor for 5 secs which opens him for punishes or puts him on the defensive. I'm not saying that circle isn't really strong but it has exploitable weaknesses.
Not every character has a multi-hitting move and he has a 5f njp. Just no. Sorry bro.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Not every character has a multi-hitting move and he has a 5f njp. Just no. Sorry bro.
Eh, it was a thought to give Quan an alternative offensive tool that was more interesting then super armor. I wanted all 3 of his circles to be meaningfull instead of 1 go to and another that's good but not easy to use.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Eh, it was a thought to give Quan an alternative offensive tool that was more interesting then super armor. I wanted all 3 of his circles to be meaningfull instead of 1 go to and another that's good but not easy to use.
Ever play Kitana? Try her. Play her exclusively for a week. No, a day.
You'll appreciate your main. Trust me.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Ever play Kitana? Try her. Play her exclusively for a week. No, a day.
You'll appreciate your main. Trust me.
I believe you. I tried Kitana assassin Kitana for a bit before realizing that she didn't work as an Assassin which dampened my want to play her at all.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Hmm this will count as a ''bottom 5'' thread too?
Nah, just a what if kind of thread. Quan Chi is strong in all variations except Warlock. Warlock has it's problems that make it just below the other two variations. This buff is more to give a reason to use purple circle instead of it just existing.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Every character has "baggage".
I use that word for moves that you don't use.
The problem is characters with only "baggage".
No good options.

LucaTheRipper

RULES OF NATURE!
Nah, just a what if kind of thread. Quan Chi is strong in all variations except Warlock. Warlock has it's problems that make it just below the other two variations. This buff is more to give a reason to use purple circle instead of it just existing.
Then talk about Warlock dude... I understood your point but every char have some things we don't use, Sorceror is already good and don't need any buff.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Then talk about Warlock dude... I understood your point but every char have some things we don't use, Sorceror is already good and don't need any buff.
I actually played Warlock before making the switch to sorceror and honestly I don't know what to give it. It's issue is it's mainly too meter dependent to do most of it's things. So unless portal stab became a meterless move I don't know what to give Warlock to put it on par with the others. Not trashing Warlock by anymeans. It's got shita dn is fun to play but being so meter dependent without a safety net hurts it.

LucaTheRipper

RULES OF NATURE!
I actually played Warlock before making the switch to sorceror and honestly I don't know what to give it. It's issue is it's mainly too meter dependent to do most of it's things. So unless portal stab became a meterless move I don't know what to give Warlock to put it on par with the others. Not trashing Warlock by anymeans. It's got shita dn is fun to play but being so meter dependent without a safety net hurts it.
I've got the same feeling when i pick Lasher Takeda... With him is really hard to pass 20% without meter and to get worse a lot of his normals sucks. If the df1 was overhead and leads to a combo Lasher will be an intersting long range mix up char.

Last edited:

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
I've got the same feeling when i pick Lasher Takeda... With him is really hard to pass 20% without meter and to get worse a lot of his normals sucks.
Pretty sure Lasher can still do b2,1,kunai. And with meter he do b2,1 into MB whip last for a 35% combo. Lasher is more about space control and kepeing people out with whip trip, b2,1, and his anti air. He doesn't really need the meter as much as say Shirai Ryu which wants the meter for his really big damage.

LucaTheRipper

RULES OF NATURE!
Pretty sure Lasher can still do b2,1,kunai. And with meter he do b2,1 into MB whip last for a 35% combo. Lasher is more about space control and kepeing people out with whip trip, b2,1, and his anti air. He doesn't really need the meter as much as say Shirai Ryu which wants the meter for his really big damage.
Only against casual scrubs that work, is weak against players who knows the MU also really easy to block on reaction those kunai's mixups and he's not so good at this type of space control...

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Only against casual scrubs that work, is weak against players who knows the MU also really easy to block on reaction those kunai's mixups and he's not so good at this type of space control...
I only say that's what it seems like the variation was meant for. As for if it's good at doing that, well a lot of the variations in the game aren't good at what they were designed for.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
There must be a way to use it properly and maybe no one knows yet, no more buffs for quan
The only thing I've got for it is similar to my suggestion, where you get pressure and then you punish your opponent for getting caught and not blocking the zoning. It just felt lack luster in my opinion.