What's new

Sonya's Leg Grab...Unbreakable?

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
If this is already known, I apologize and will accept this thread being closed.

After months of establishing myself as a serious Sonya player, I took her to Practice Mode and tested something about her leg grab. I was shocked to discover that it couldn't be breakered despite the fact that the attack makes physical contact with the opponent. Then I tested it with a friend and he found he couldn't breaker it either.

This may very well make a difference for a round/match clincher, because if you want to get unbreakable damage mid-combo to finish the round, the leg grab will be useful. After practice, it'll get natural for you to recognize the right situation for unbreakable damage.

Her Sonic Rings may be unbreakable also, but bear in mind...we're talking about inflicting unbreakable damage in mid-combo to finish the round. By itself, the leg grab is still unsafe and has no armor. Never try to use it outside a combo.

After realizing this fact, I went back and watched my fights with RM_xKhaoTikx and I realized that, on some occasions where I could have won the round after landing a successful Enhanced Cartwheel, I could have just done the Leg Grab to claim the round instead of getting my next attack breakered. I face-palmed everytime I saw my mistake, LOL. Trust me, this will be useful to know.

What are your thoughts on this, guys?

EDIT: Apparently the leg grab also cannot be countered by the parry moves from characters like Liu Kang, Cyber Sub-Zero, and Smoke. This just further adds to the potency of this move!

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
I think that seems as a very strategic point here .... and can make Sonya match up even more favorable to her, in some occasions

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
CSZ cannot ice parry leg grab. I wonder if the same goes for Smoke and Lui Kang.
I just tested it. Even Smoke and Liu Kang couldn't parry the leg grab! This is weird!

Original post has been updated. Thank you for this note, Flagg.

RiverHB

Noob
I agree this is very important info for ALL characters. Perhaps whether or not a move is breakable should be a side note in every individual guide (if not already listed). Also IMO unbreakable damage gives certain X-rays their only redeeming quality.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
I agree this is very important info for ALL characters. Perhaps whether or not a move is breakable should be a side note in every individual guide (if not already listed). Also IMO unbreakable damage gives certain X-rays their only redeeming quality.
This is a very good point observation here ..... :cool:

Error

DF2+R2
I thought all grab-type specials were unbreakable, same thing with Choke, Gotcha Grab, etc. Though it being unparriable is pretty cool.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Makes me wonder if Kano, Jax and Cyrax/Cyblax's grabs are un-parryable. Granted it's more effective to just use F3 and F4 for Jax and Kano though.

Espio

Kokomo
I've certainly never seen it breakered in all my months of playing this game with Sonya. I already use this as my major combo ender for Sonya unless I'm resetting in the corner.

I was not aware that it could beat out parry moves, it's like Sheeva's telestomp on CSZ, this will be my new punish for parry happy players instead of down 4, other pokes, or trips. Good stuff.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
I've certainly never seen it breakered in all my months of playing this game with Sonya. I already use this as my major combo ender for Sonya unless I'm resetting in the corner.

I was not aware that it could beat out parry moves, it's like Sheeva's telestomp on CSZ, this will be my new punish for parry happy players instead of down 4, other pokes, or trips. Good stuff.
You can punish a parry with a divekick combo, just gotta wait for the active frames of the parry to run out.

IMO the leg grab is only good for that 1 scenario, unbreakable damage to close out a round.

Espio

Kokomo
I forgot about that, mostly because I have the biggest issue with landing the dive kick on reaction to a parry, I've just been doing my complacent pokes lol. I'll try to practice more at landing the dive kick combo punish on parries.

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
I usually use Leg Grab at the end of my combos because sometimes landing 1,1,2,MS drops especially online. I was also curious why sometimes I end a combo closing the round with Ex Leg Grab and my opponent did not used Breaker. That's actually good to know Leg Grab works against Cyber Sub-Zero's Parry and Smoke's Shake. Sometimes in situations, a wake up attack Leg Grab works not sure why but I tend to use it sparingly because of its slow recovery. Good to know about Leg Grab detailed, yes indeed.

Flagg

Noob
Makes me wonder if Kano, Jax and Cyrax/Cyblax's grabs are un-parryable. Granted it's more effective to just use F3 and F4 for Jax and Kano though.
Im pretty sure CSZ can ice parry Kano and Jax's grabs, though dont quote me on that.

Sonyas leg grab just seems to have crazy priority!

lazybird123

Purple Belt in BJJ, White Belt in MK
You can punish a parry with a divekick combo, just gotta wait for the active frames of the parry to run out.

IMO the leg grab is only good for that 1 scenario, unbreakable damage to close out a round.
I felt bad for this Liu-Kang I was playing yesterday as my Dive would beat out his Parry everytime and it was totally unintentional.

As far as the leg grab, I also think its good for another scenario: when finishing out a round with your back to the corner, you can leg grab the guy back into the corner at the end of the combo.

Buffalo

Bison of Beat Downs
What about Cage, does his parry work on it?
Well, Cage's parry is his X-ray, and X-rays usually have special properties against stuff like this, so I'd assume no. However, I need to test this to see.