What's new

Sonya's Corner Game

FatalTragedy

Jesus Fucking Christ
So I've been dabbling with Sonya for a while now. My main opponent seems to be Johnny Cage and I've been very successful at dominating the match from just inside jump distance or so. D+4 is riculous when cancelled into MS. Now in the corner I generally don't stand right on top of the opponent. I like to give them enough to think they can safely jump out. I know that you have more options off MS when you're right up in their face though. I had read that one of the MS cancels leaves Sonya at massive frame advantage when blocked but I can't recall (shoulder check I believe). As a somewhat novice Sonya, I was wondering what you guys do to keep your opponent in check with their back against the wall.

FatalTragedy

Jesus Fucking Christ
Well, I wrote the previous in a hurry and I see some shit that is blatantly wrong. In any case, I don't know if this is the most damaging combo ending in reset without use of bars or if it's been posted before, but I've been trying out different corner combos (trying to build on the 114 hasn't proven fruitful) and I have this starter:

With JP...B2 1 2, NJP, B2 1 (whiff the B2) ~ Kiss, Divekick~3 1 4 cartwheel, 1 1 2. Can add a second standing 1 but it's pointless for either damage or positioning as scaling does away with damage gained from single standing 1 and positioning after cartwheel is about perfect for 1 1 2. In any case, does 47%. 44% without jump punch. Very easy to pull off.

Death

Noob
I like using JP B21F2, NJP, kiss, Divekick~21~cartwheel, B+21F+2, 1, 112~MS. 46% normally and 49% with jump in. To answer your other question. Doing D+3~MS in the corner works alot better than D+4 IMO. The range is good and the D+3 is only 7 frames while D+4 is 12. You save yourself 5 frames there by using D+3.

FatalTragedy

Jesus Fucking Christ
Damn, that's a nice combo. Didn't think of that.

I've been dabbling with D+3 midscreen when range allows as a halfassed mixup, but (I'm still not 100%) either the 114 has outstanding block stun or I just feel more comfortable using it. I still drop the 114 on occasion which irritates me to no end. I hate inputs in this game.

I'll definitely try and work that into my corner game. I haven't taken Sonya online since I tried picking her up months ago and failed. I think now that I have Kabal's inputs down I should have less trouble with Sonya than before. My main opponent offline is Cage so it is sometimes easier for me to keep his back to the wall and hang back to bait a kick then stay in his face and risk eating a knee. I think I just need a little more matchup experience.