What's new

Match-up Discussion Sonya vs Reptile

DragonPick

I don't play Runescape
4-6 vs Reptile - Slow orb covers reptiles command dash allowing Reptile to maintain pressure. This matchup comes down to good spacing, Sonya needs to maintain a position where she is close enough to cause the command dash to collide with Sonya on block (and punish) and close enough to make Reptile be fearful of using regular orbs. Reptiles enhanced orbs have faster startup which can make jumping in on Reptile very risky because he gets a full combo. Try to get Reptile to spend all of his meter then pursue with jump-ins since he does not have great anti-air options or fast normals.

That was taken from the match up thread on the same forum. Just go there for more info on Sonya vs anyone. Didn't know she was at disadvantage, but not surprised

Edgar Inc

B3 everything
4-6 vs Reptile - Slow orb covers reptiles command dash allowing Reptile to maintain pressure. This matchup comes down to good spacing, Sonya needs to maintain a position where she is close enough to cause the command dash to collide with Sonya on block (and punish) and close enough to make Reptile be fearful of using regular orbs. Reptiles enhanced orbs have faster startup which can make jumping in on Reptile very risky because he gets a full combo. Try to get Reptile to spend all of his meter then pursue with jump-ins since he does not have great anti-air options or fast normals.

That was taken from the match up thread on the same forum. Just go there for more info on Sonya vs anyone. Didn't know she was at disadvantage, but not surprised
I think that chart might be a little old(correct me if im wrong). The matchup is for sure in sonyas favor. If reptile doesnt have a forceball on screen, sonya outzones him. Also, at full screen, she can safely shoot 2 rings for a slow forceball and 1 for a fast forceball. She can ex cartwheel through his forceball when in range on reaction, or divekick it on a read. Not only can you divekick reptiles pokes on reads, but you can also divekick elbow dashes since dashes only work on grounded opponents. Ex elbow dash doesnt work in this matchup because sonya can jump out before the second hit and divekick him for a full combo punish. Reptiles staggers strings are annoying, and forceball pressure is annoying, but its nothing sonya cant deal with. Elbow dash is easily pinishable (even online) with 114 combo. Reptile needs to work hard to stay away from sonya, or else he'll have a tough time.

I think that chart might be a little old(correct me if im wrong). The matchup is for sure in sonyas favor. If reptile doesnt have a forceball on screen, sonya outzones him. Also, at full screen, she can safely shoot 2 rings for a slow forceball and 1 for a fast forceball. She can ex cartwheel through his forceball when in range on reaction, or divekick it on a read. Not only can you divekick reptiles pokes on reads, but you can also divekick elbow dashes since dashes only work on grounded opponents. Ex elbow dash doesnt work in this matchup because sonya can jump out before the second hit and divekick him for a full combo punish. Reptiles staggers strings are annoying, and forceball pressure is annoying, but its nothing sonya cant deal with. Elbow dash is easily pinishable (even online) with 114 combo. Reptile needs to work hard to stay away from sonya, or else he'll have a tough time.
7 frame punishment, I love it.

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
Sonya is NOT at a disadvantage vs reptile at all. Her ex kartwheel blows up every ball followup he has. Divekick punishes dash and forceballs and she can outzone him. Most in the reptile community call this a 7-3 or 6-4 in Sonyas favor.

Sonya is NOT at a disadvantage vs reptile at all. Her ex kartwheel blows up every ball followup he has. Divekick punishes dash and forceballs and she can outzone him. Most in the reptile community call this a 7-3 or 6-4 in Sonyas favor.
really?
this means sonya could jump back and dive kick his wake up dash?

Death

Noob
really?
Yes Sonya can dive kick Reptile elbow dash. The window is somewhat tight though. Its about a 1-4 frame window to punish so its up to the persons reactions if they can do it.

RapZiLLa54

really?
Yes, this match is very frustrating for most reptile players. Also dash isn't a wakeup attack so it has zero invincibility so yeah if you wanted to go that route expecting a wakeup dash you could easily.

RapZiLLa54

Yes Sonya can dive kick Reptile elbow dash. The window is somewhat tight though. Its about a 1-4 frame window to punish so its up to the persons reactions if they can do it.
When Rui48 did this to me on a cross up (when I tried to dash out) I nearly quit the game lmao. I've been so against having an alt because I feel you should be able to overcome bad matchups with enough experience but all of her tools counteract all of reptiles. Its like she was designed specially to blow him the fuck up.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Definitely in Sonya's favor. She has an answer to EVERYTHING reptile throws at her. 6-4 Sonya, maybe even 7-3. This MU is one of my favorite mmatches in the game lol