What's new

Sonya vs Kung Lao

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
I read some talk about how it's highly in Sonya's advantage, but I just don't get it, maybe I'm playing the match up wrong, but his spin can knock you out of d4's, ms f1, regular cartwheel, dive kicks, arc kicks, JIP, am I just supposed to play the cautious game and bait spins before I can do anything? He's easy to punish if he screws up a high dive kick but still a low divekick is not that easy to catch coming. the teleport 3's can be dodged but you won't get that much of a punish if they time it right or you'll get hit and eat a combo. I just don't understand why people say she demolishes Kung Lao, I just don't see it. Please clarify this for me.

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
I read some talk about how it's highly in Sonya's advantage, but I just don't get it, maybe I'm playing the match up wrong. I just don't understand why people say she demolishes Kung Lao, I just don't see it. Please clarify this for me.
Sonya has an edge over Kung Lao but I would still say this is 5-5 because of his speed and mobility. Every character should fight Kung Lao with caution because of his Spin. If you are the type who likes to beat up your opponent still after knockdown, Kung Lao is super dangerous due to the Spin which is a combo starter. The best advise to not to get greedy, wait for Kung Lao to react after a knockdown, is he going to Spin - you get a punish, is he going to Dive Kick - block and punish, is he going to Teleport~3 immediately - watch your spacing and punish it, is he going to F3 Roll in front of you - njp combo him. You just have to play cautious just like you knock down Mileena, anticipate her button mashing Teleport Kick or Roll.

Sonya is dangerous in the sense of her heavy Dive Kick combo punishment, armored Ex Cartwheel combo starter, Air control: Dive Kick, Arc Kick, Air Grab, Fast Uppercut, AA options. as you should never jump at Sonya. Her small hitbox D4 so you can't cross up Sonya either and it's her defensive/offensive tool for spacing. Basically she has the tools that she can force Kung Lao players to make a mistake and punish big time from it which include her Military Stance 50/50 combo mix ups. I still think Kitana is the true anti-King Lao designed to beat him. Sonya can keep up with his speed, she doesn't need the air to jump around.

Noserfatu

My eyes! The goggles do nothing!
crouch. it leads to D4 and uppercut. you can uppercut tele on reaction, don't worry about trying to bait it or look for it.. just uppercut when he does it. unless instant 3 beats it, not sure. maybe d4 a few times in a row and bait a spin then full combo punish.