What's new

Sonya Guide Feedback

this guide WILL change when sonya is patched. a lot of the strats will carry over including military stance traps, it just wont be as cheap.

SONYA:

BEST NORMALS:

*:fp:fp:bkHIT LEVEL:H,H,M - 3 hits string that juggles. safe on block.

*:bp:fpHIT LEVEL:M,H - 2 hit string that jails. safe on block

*:l+:bp:fp:r+:bpHIT LEVEL:H,M,M - 3 hit string that launches. safe on block.

*:r+:bkHIT LEVEL:M(overhead) - safe overhead that give Sonya a safe jump.

*:fk:fpHIT LEVEL:M,H - 2 hit string only to be used in combos.

*:bk:bkHIT LEVEL:M,H - 2 hit string that jails. safe on block.

*:l+:bkHIT LEVEL: L - good low sweep with great range.

*:d:l+:bpHIT LEVEL:N/A - military stance. can be canceled with :l:l or :r:r.

*while in military stance :r+:fpHIT LEVEL: L,L - safe 2 hit low.

*while in military stance :l+:bpHIT LEVEL:H - safe high launcher.

*while in military stance :fp+:fk~:fp+:bpHIT LEVEL:M(overhead) - overhead tackle.

*while in military stance :l+:bkHIT LEVEL: L - safe, fast sweep.

*while in military stance :bkHIT LEVEL:M,M - knocks back in open space. juggles in corners. safe on block.

SPECIALS:
*Kiss:)d:l+:fp+)HIT LEVEL:H - grants a combo on hit. safe on block vs stand block. vs crouch block is punished by uppercut.

*Dive Kick:)d+:bk while in air)HIT LEVEL:M - has priority over most moves. on hit grants a combo. punished by full combo if blocked.

*Cartwheel:)d:r+:fk)HIT LEVEL:M - safe mid launcher.

*Leg Grab:)l:r+:bk)HIT LEVEL:M - very unsafe. mainly uses as a combo ender.

*Rings:)l:r+:bp)HIT LEVEL:H - projectile. safe on block even up close.

*Arc Kick:)d:l+:bk)HIT LEVEL:M - travels almost full screen. knocks down on hit. punished by full combo on block.

*Air Throw:)fp:fk while in air)HIT LEVEL:Air - throws the opponent out of air. has priority over air moves. comes out even if the opponent doesnt jump and is punished by full combo.

:en MOVES:
*:en Kiss:)d:l+:fp+:blk)HIT LEVEL:H - grants a combo on hit. safe on block vs stand block. vs crouch block is punished by fast uppercut only as it recovers faster.

*:en Dive Kick:)d+:bk+:blk while in air)HIT LEVEL:M - has priority over most moves. on hit will not combo. punished by full combo if blocked on the head. fast special if blocked on the chest or lower.

*:en Cartwheel:)d:r+:fk+:blk)HIT LEVEL:M - safe mid launcher with armor.

*:en Leg Grab:)l:r+:bk+:blk)HIT LEVEL:M - more damaging version of standard leg grab. still very unsafe. mainly uses as a combo ender.

*:en Rings:)l:r+:bp+:blk)HIT LEVEL:H,M - projectile. safe on block even up close. 2 hits.

*:en Arc Kick:)d:l+:bk)HIT LEVEL:M - faster version of standard arc kick and does more damage. punished by combo on block.

STRATEGY:

Military Stance:
this is Sonya's bread and butter. the best ways to go into this is off :fp:fp:bp, :bk:bk, and :bp:fp. after any of these attacks are blocked cancel into stance. from here you are at extreme advantage, so much advantage that the opponent can not interrupt stance cancel :bp:fp. this allows you to loop at this point :bp:fp~military stance~:r:r~:bp:fp~military stance, etc. the only way out is to jump and get hit by :bp:fp. if you read the opponent will jump out of the trap then :bp:fp~cartwheel and juggle. there is no way to confirm the jabs then decide to loop the stance trap if :bp:fp is blocked or combo if it hits, you must guess the opponents response. you can also cancel out of the stance trap with her stance :l+:bp launcher, if the opponent is trying to jump out of the trap or interrupt, the launcher hits and you get a combo. if the opponent tries to crouch to have the high launcher wiff then stance :fp+:fk~:fp+:bp for the stance overhead or cancel the stance then :r+:bk then go back to the stance trap. you can :x out of the stance trap or use a move with armor.

STANCE TRAP EXAMPLE:

:bp:fp~Military Stance:
after :bp:fp~military stance connect, stance :fp, :fp+:fk~:fp+:bp, :fk, and :bk are guaranteed.

Safe Jump:
after :r+:bk hits Sonya gets a safe jump. use the safe jump to jump in punch~:bp:fp~military stance then go into the stance trap.

Throw:
Sonya has advantage off her throw. either dash in and pressure or cross up jump in to reverse the controls of your opponent.

Jump in Punch:
ANY TIME a jump in punch is blocked go into the stance trap or throw. the trap is guaranteed as is a throw attempt.

Cartwheel and :en Cartwheel:
cartwheel is safe. a good setup if after its blocked, jump back then dive kick. this hits opponents advancing toward you in an attempt to follow your jump back and will also hit them if they jump after you. :en cartwheel has armor which allows her to escape pressure traps or beat out attacks.

Dive Kick:
for starters, DO NOT use the :en version. this move is self explanatory, jump then dive kick. use this to punish ranged wiffs or projectiles. threat of dive kick also frees up jump in punch.

Zoning:
obviously Sonya is not a zoning heavy character but with all her tools players will try to keep her out. the occasional ring toss works well in these situations and is also good for building meter. Kiss is also good as a zoning tool from 1/4 screen or closer, it can also anti air if its already on screen.

Ending Corner Combos with :fp:fp:bp:
ending combos with a well timed :fp:fp:bp will bring the opponent back down to the ground and Sonya is at extreme advantage. use that advantage throw or :bp:fp~military stance then go into the stance trap.

Wake Up Attacks:
leg grab and arc kick are invincible on start up when do as "wake up attacks".

Sonya's :x:
not very good for doing in combos. its safe so you can use the armor on it to break through attacks. because its several hits it also does good chip damage. if you need unbreakable damage in a combo, :x comes in handy.

COMBOS

STANDARD COMBOS:
1. :l+:bp:fp:r+:bp, :l+:bp:fp:r+:bp, jump kick~air throw

2. :l+:bp:fp~cartwheel, dash :l+:bp:fp:r+:bp, jump kick~air throw

3. :l+:bp:fp~cartwheel, dash :l+:bp:fp:r+:bp, dash :bp:fp~:en leg grab

4. jump in punch~dive kick~:fk:fp~cartwheel, short dash :bp~:en leg grab

5. (opponent in corner) :bp:fp~military stance~:bk, :fp:fp:bk, :fp:fp:bk~leg grab or :en leg grab

6. (opponent trying to jump out of stance trap) :bp:fp~cartwheel, dash 2~leg grab or :en leg trab

7. military stance :l+:bp, :l+:bp:fp~cartwheel, dash :bp~leg grab or :en leg grab

:x COMBOS:
1. jump in punch~dive kick~:fk:fp~cartwheel,:x

2. jump in punch~dive kick~:fk:fp:bp~:x

3. (opponent in corner) :l+:bp:fp~cartwheel, :l+:bp:fp:r+:bp, :fk:fp:bp~:x

4. (opponent in corner) :bp:fp~military stance~:bk, :fp:fp:bk, :fp:fp:bp~:x

5. military stance :l+:bp, :l+:bp:fp~cartwheel, :fp:fp:bp~:x

Zebster

How's my volume?
Couple of corrections needed:
*:fp:fp:fkHIT LEVEL:H,H,M - 3 hits string that juggles. safe on block.
Should be :fp:fp:bk

*:fk:fpHIT LEVEL:M,H - 2 hit string used only in juggles.
*:fk:fpHIT LEVEL:M,H - 2 hit string only to be used in combos.
String mentioned twice in the same section
*while in military stance :l+:fpHIT LEVEL: L,L - safe 2 hit low.
Should be :r+:fp
:fp:bp~Military Stance:
after :fp:bp~military stance connect, stance :fp, :fp+:fk~:fp+:bp, :fk, :bk are guaranteed.
all :fp:bp should be replaced with :bp:fp

thanks bro, sometimes im doing like 3 guides at once and fuck up the icons.

sonya updated. mods can you please cut and paste this updated version in the [GUIDE] thread

Zebster

How's my volume?
No problem. Just to be safe, you may want to skim through your other guides when you get the chance to make sure you didn't mix up any other icons.

JYM60

Noob
Best I've been able to get is 40%, but I've got a good few different combos high 30s.

Only been messing for one day though. Will definitely have a look at this guide more. All the trap stuff sounds interesting.

What is bad about ex dive kick? I tried using it as a combo ender ln a few things instead of legs, and while it did less damage it was better for keeping pressure I though.

Sonya Blade

Mission Accomplished
You know, I've been using Sonya with a decent amount of success for awhile going off of stuff I tried out myself in training mode, but after reading this guide, I wasn't even close to using her at her full potential. Even with the stance trap being patched out soon, I still think she can be a great character. I've been sitting in training mode going off of info on this guide, there's some great knowledge in here. Thank you Tom.

Jester

Noob
Just picked her up as my main and this guide is great one question though didnt the stance trap get patched outed?

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
I just started using her, and I used TomBrady's guide to create a 50% midscreen with one bar of meter.

Thanks TomBrady.