What's new

Question - Sonya Blade Sonya Drone Cancels (Special Forces)

Orbit Aquary

Want a balloon?
Haven't seen people talk about her drone cancels in special forces, and I was wondering, what's the point of them? I wanna use them, but I don't know what for. It definitely shouldn't be used for damage, cuz it scales too much, so does anybody know what this can be used for, or any ideas on how to take advantage of them? I mean, they must have put it in the game for a reason, right? :confused:

Ayase Chihaya

Chihayafuru
I did not lab it since I don't play special forces, but can it be used to mix up the opponents if they block your 50/50?

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
After the 11 cancels you can convert it into a full combo using BLK+4 so something like 11~cancel times whatever then 213~BLK+4 into a full combo. It does do decent damage, Check made a video showing it off.

Orbit Aquary

Want a balloon?
I did not lab it since I don't play special forces, but can it be used to mix up the opponents if they block your 50/50?
Can't believe I never thought of this lol, she's safe after canceling. But I'm not sure it's good for pressure tho, you can punish on reaction.

After the 11 cancels you can convert it into a full combo using BLK+4 so something like 11~cancel times whatever then 213~BLK+4 into a full combo. It does do decent damage, Check made a video showing it off.
Yeah I tried that, but you're better off just doing 213 BLK+4 because the 11 cancel will just scale the damage. It does make you safer though to cancel, I never though of it as something to make you safe for some strange reason :oops:

Last edited:

skater11

The saltiest
Nearly all her special drone cancels have gaps except for maybe BLK+1(the overhead). But other than that they are all pretty good.

Edit: when cancelled off a string/normal of course.

Last edited:

Orbit Aquary

Want a balloon?
How is Block+1 on block? And doesn't it give pushback though?
Block +1 is an overhead and you're plus on block, and it deals a fair amount of chip and gives a fair amount of meter. It does give pushback tho, but you're still safe. So I don't see why you should go with the cancel.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Block +1 is an overhead and you're plus on block, and it deals a fair amount of chip and gives a fair amount of meter. It does give pushback tho, but you're still safe. So I don't see why you should go with the cancel.
I asked because if it has pushback, you wouldn't be able to continue the pressure

skater11

The saltiest
If you have drone parked and you happen to land a block string while the opponent being under/nearby the drone you get a guaranteed BLK+1 that will count as a true blockstring with NEARLY every string. Or you can do like a BLK+3 and f2b1 can jail afterwards I believe but don't quote me on that.

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
These drone cancels are good when you park the drone somewhere not visible on screen, it's a simple mind game when you do a drone attack and the opponent doesn't know what's coming. Her drone attacks are basically a safe military stance, but it doesn't get much attention because the drone lasts for like... 10 seconds?

Orbit Aquary

Want a balloon?
These drone cancels are good when you park the drone somewhere not visible on screen, it's a simple mind game when you do a drone attack and the opponent doesn't know what's coming. Her drone attacks are basically a safe military stance, but it doesn't get much attention because the drone lasts for like... 10 seconds?
But that's just parking the drone, if I understand u correctly. I was thinking canceling it so that the combo continues or for pressure or something like that.

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
But that's just parking the drone, if I understand u correctly. I was thinking canceling it so that the combo continues or for pressure or something like that.
Yeah, then I don't think it has any use other than extending a combo, like D'vorah's 112 xx WGC or Liu Kang's FBC.

OzzFoxx

Hardcore gaming poser.
DRCs would make starting combos with a very quick, yet low-damage normal viable. Opening the option to start combos with 1,1 or 1,2 make the DRCs worth learning even if there was no net damage gain on your combo. You have to think because of the speed of 1,1 or 1,2, it will at least be able to interrupt gaps and since both have more than enough +hit frames to DRC, it would allow easy, safe full combos through read interrupts. Also, wouldn't 1,1 and 1,2 allow for better initial hit percentage than other mids/highs in a shared neutral state because of their speed? I would imagine allowing for back-dashing when they are blocked would be safe, I guess I'd have to verify that. But with this reasoning, I think DRCs might be worth at least taking a harder look into, especially since sonya is such an in-your-face character. Anyone agree?