What's new

Guide - Special Forces Sonya Blade Special Forces guide

Percimon

Sky above, Voice within
Just started learning Sonya and found out that this is rare character in MK X. By rare I mean that all 3 variations are strong and they are completely different.
So, let's get it started.

Drone tech

Descriptions from video:

1) You can safely cancel basic attacks into dd-1 (when drone is called);
2) You can safely throw opponent opponent after b332 -> 1+R2 and f4 -> R2;
3) 1+R2 drone attack adds new mixup after b1 or b3;
4) With help of 1+R2 and 2+R2 you can do a pressure safely (only armored attacks can break it);
5) With help of drone you can catch your opponent on x-ray and after that safely call drone back;
6) 2+R2 drone attack lets you punish reversal (because it's safe on block after some basic attacks) and wakeup attacks;
7) You can use dd-1 (when drone is called) as combo extender in corner after 11 and b14.

Safe drone use

You can use safely drone attack 1+R2 after such basic attacks as:

1) 11;
2) 121;
3) f2;
4) b332;
5) f4 (either first hit or second);
6) 4.

Start up of 1+R2: 18 frames;
Block Advantage of 1+R2: +3 frames.

Safe drone call & wall combos (meterless)

You can call drone safely after (considering that opponent is in the air):

1) 121;
2) 2134;
3) b14.
Inputs:
1) dd1, jump in + 2, b334, 4+R2, 12, NJP, 12, 121, dd1 - 35% + safe drone recall;
2) dd1, jump in + 2, b14, 4+R2, 12, NJP, 12, 121, dd1 - 33% + safe drone recall;
3) dd1, jump in + 2, b334, 4+R2, 12, NJP, 12, 2134, dd1 - 37% + safe drone recall;

4) dd1, jump in + 2, b14, 4+R2, 12, NJP, 12, 2134, dd1 - 35% + safe drone recall;
5) dd1, jump in + 2, b334, 4+R2, NJP, d2, 2134, dd1 - 39% + safe drone recall;
6) dd1, jump in + 2, b14, 4+R2, NJP, d2, 2134, dd1 - 36% + safe drone recall.​

Note to combo:
If you finish 1st and 2nd combo with bf4, then you will get 41% and 39%.

Midscreen combos (meterless)

Inputs:
1) jump in + 2, b2, NJP, 12, 4, bf4 - 25%;
2) jump in + 2, b2, b2, 12, 121, bf4 - 23%;
3) dd1, jump in + 2, f2, 4+R2, 121, bf4 - 31%;

4) dd1, jump in + 2, b14, 4+R2, 121, bf4 - 30%;
5) dd1, jump in + 2, b334, 4+R2, 12, 121, bf4 - 35%;
6) dd1, jump in + 2, f4, 4+R2, 12, 121, bf4 - 34%.​

Combo starters info

Almost all combo starters are safe on block:
1) 11 - +2 frames;
2) 111- 0 frames;
3) 12 - +2 frames;
4) 121 - +2 frames;
5) b332 - -5 frames.

Unsafe combo starter: b14 - -15 frames.
Unsafe combo starter in Special Forces: b2

I'll update this post as soon as I find smth new.

Last edited:

Jolt

Uprise
Haven't read entirely/in depth yet (just skimmed), but thanks for posting. I've been interested in SF, but haven't given it a serious look since I LOVE Demolition and have a pocket CO. Biggest problem I usually have with SF is not being able to time my cancels properly and then ending up either accidentally finishing my string, or blocking.

Percimon

Sky above, Voice within
Haven't read entirely/in depth yet (just skimmed), but thanks for posting. I've been interested in SF, but haven't given it a serious look since I LOVE Demolition and have a pocket CO. Biggest problem I usually have with SF is not being able to time my cancels properly and then ending up either accidentally finishing my string, or blocking.
You should press "button+R2" (drone attack) while Sony lands LAST hit.

jmt

Noob
Nice man!

I've been playing Sonya since day 1 and my CO and DEMO are at a high level, but I can't get into SF. It just seems like you have to work so hard to win vs her other variations. Drone goes away so fast. Maybe I'll change my mind after going thru all your stuff and give it a real try.

Jolt

Uprise
You should press "button+R2" (drone attack) while Sony lands LAST hit.
I think sometimes I just get it too late. I'm actually better at it since I switched to stick. I get most of my play online for now, so I bet some of it comes down to input lag/dropped inputs. I haven't tried SF offline too much, but I'll be giving it a look with your guide for some reference.

My favorite thing about SF has definitely been the reversal/wake up homing missile. Always gives some nice space to breathe. I agree with JMT in that you have to call out the drone really often, but at least it comes out significantly faster than reloading grenades in Demo.

Reactions: jmt

Percimon

Sky above, Voice within
I'm curious guys which match ups would you think this variation would be most viable?
I think, only fights with other players should show it.. Gonna try it online only after another researching of this variation. But I feel, that this variation has great potential.

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
This is one of my favorite variations in the game. It's really fun. I don't know for sure which matchup it's the most viable, but I have a hard time dealing with strong zoners because she gets outzoned pretty easily. She depends too much on that drone. And unlike some other players think, I don't think this variation is the most viable against GM Subzero, simply because the homing missile is supposed to be used as a pressure tool and in this matchup, you'll only waste it by breaking his goddamn clones.