What's new

Match-up Discussion Something new for the Kitana/Scorpion matchup?

x18x2xwildx

Something wicked this way comes.
I'm sorry if this has been talked about before, but it's new to me, so I thought I'd share it just in case others haven't heard or don't know about it yet.

I was playing around with Kitana in training against Scorpion and noticed that after a leg sweep (b4) or successful f4,b4 she can iSB overtop of Scorpion and completely negate his wakeup game. The cool thing is, she'll completely avoid his takedown, and if the Scorpion went for an enhanced teleport, she can interrupt it into full combo with f2,1.

The timing can be a little difficult for the teleport punish (the iSB has to be done from as low to ground to possible), but I got it to work fairly consistently. I don't have anyone IRL to test the different variations, so I'm just hoping it'd work well in a real match. I think any chance to full combo punish Scorpion's enhanced teleport is worth looking into haha

Again, I'm sorry if everyone already knows this. I just thought it was cool :)

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Good idea. I'll look into it soon.

I think the downside is that although it covers both wakeup moves you're giving up the chance to full combo punish takedown. If you guess he's going to takedown you can walk back and punish the whiff with f+2,1. This also allows you to react and punish EX teleport.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I always found the best option to just be backing up a little bit and blocking low, while just d1 punishing the teleport on reaction (such as something like d1~ex fan).

I was talking to Starcharger the other night though, and he said i.a. ex squareboost stuffs most wakeups in the game. Has anyone else tested this and how good it might be?

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
You can d+4~lift an ex teleport or jump back punch~fan

yes this can be done vs cage too. vs cage you can sweep to avoid his wakeups
and vs scorpion i find standing 3 is the best.
it gives you enough time to d+4 ex tele, or to block it
and it goes through ex and regular takedown/
although these arent viable, all they need to do is tech roll or delay their wakeup and youll be punished.
its not viable in gameplay imo

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
You can d1~lift if you're a magician unaffected by negative edge.

Also, how reliable is d4~lift on teleports with the slowness of d4?

It's fine, especially if you're looking for it.

yes this can be done vs cage too. vs cage you can sweep to avoid his wakeups
and vs scorpion i find standing 3 is the best.
it gives you enough time to d+4 ex tele, or to block it
and it goes through ex and regular takedown/
although these arent viable, all they need to do is tech roll or delay their wakeup and youll be punished.
its not viable in gameplay imo
EX nutpunch wakeup too?