What's new

Tech Something I noticed while I was in the lab

Tolkeen

/wrists
Is this known already?
It looks to me like those second hits are high, and thus should be ducked under but JC is getting hit. I have read somewhere in another thread that things like this happen because JC sways back and forth when he's in crouch, so depending on which way he's leaning at that moment he'll sometimes get hit by high attacks when duck blocking. Although, in actual play if they duck the first swing, then you're going to get punished before the second swing.

I have read somewhere in another thread that things like this happen because JC sways back and forth when he's in crouch, so depending on which way he's leaning at that moment he'll sometimes get hit by high attacks when duck blocking. Although, in actual play if they duck the first swing, then you're going to get punished before the second swing.
Yeah, in training you can find all kinds of weird stuff with the 3D hitboxes and animation cycles. They (almost certainly) won't happen in a real match though.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
It looks to me like those second hits are high, and thus should be ducked under but JC is getting hit. I have read somewhere in another thread that things like this happen because JC sways back and forth when he's in crouch, so depending on which way he's leaning at that moment he'll sometimes get hit by high attacks when duck blocking. Although, in actual play if they duck the first swing, then you're going to get punished before the second swing.
To be fair there are tons of moves in this game that are "high" but hit crouching opponents. I'm currently testing this against other fighters because since I play as Cage a lot I tend to forget he sways so much during fights.

Oh and you are so right about actual play, but again this might translate to other characters, not so sure...

Kinda weird, but realistically if the baton whirl thingy whiffs you're going to get punished with something, so it doesn't matter that much that the second hit randomly does or doesn't whiff. But man what a buggy game, my goodness.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I am currently in VS mode trying this against Sub-Zero... The Baton Twirl itself will hit someone if Stryker is touching the opponent (not the launcher/f1).

I'm think the actual problem here is Johnny Cage's dumb hittable box.

I know there's a lot of attacks in the game that are supposed to be special mid (high attacks that hit crouching) but JC avoids them because his hittable box is altered during his crouch.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I'm think the actual problem here is Johnny Cage's dumb hittable box.

I know there's a lot of attacks in the game that are supposed to be special mid (high attacks that hit crouching) but JC avoids them because his hittable box is altered during his crouch.
I tried this on Reptile, who has one of the smallest hitboxes in the game, same thing happens.