What's new

Some strange stuff regarding MK9's buffer system

supa

Noob
Oh, I was just complaining about this in the desync thread...

supa said:
Some of my notations might be off below, so I'll write a description in (). Between the game having Tao Feng controls (wtf is a backpunch?), the controls not being traditional kicks-on-the-right and having to remap.... I don't know which button is which anymore. :p

Also, I wanted to ask about/complain about the "I don't have to press a button" kombos. If you want to direct me to a better place - please do. A basic description of this infuriating thing is Ermac - try to jump kick, teleport. You'll air-fireball without having to push a button.

Weird one with Noob -
Press block, then down, up (ex teleport, supposed to be down, up, block) The block animation will start, then he'll teleport.

Here are a few with Quan Chi -
Back+A, Forward (low kick to Zombie walk)
Back+A, X+Y+A, Forward (low kick, overhead, zombiewalk, very fast input)
X, X, Y, 214 (three punches, skull fireball)
Y, 214 (Punch, fireball)

These are infuriating. If I want to Back + A, then dash in to throw... nope, zombie walk comes out.

If I do an X, X against a blocking opponent and want to dash backward and crouch block.... nope, the Disco move comes out.

Crouch block to Back + A (guard a sweep, punish with my own low turns into a teleport somehow???)

Infuriating controls.
I don't think this is intentional buffering...

Try it with any air-teleport character - jump punch/kick then input your teleport. If you do it fast enough, sometimes you'll see the jump kick/punch animation get stuffed with the teleport, but the hit still registers.

Easy example is Quan Chi Back+3, Forward. You should get a low kick to a zombie walk without hitting A twice (It should be twice - once for the kick, once for the special).

Someone mentioned a weird Quan Chi kombo - I can do it with back 3, 1+2+3, forward pretty regularly. It's the low kick, overhead, zombie walk. Most of the time, the overhead strike won't even finish animation but the player will be "struck" with it and bounce into zombie walk.

Noob has a weird one - try Block, down, up. Outside of a combo, you'll go into block animation, then EX teleport.
In a combo... it won't work. You have to do something like Down, block, up.

During Raiden's electroction command throw thing - just press back and forward while mashing A randomly to Superman. It's guaranteed regardless of if you hit back, 3, forward, 3, forward, back, etc.

If you try to do it without hitting the opponent, it doesn't work. If you do hit an opponent, you don't have to input any buttons for a special move. This works for all characters.