What's new

Question - Kitana Some Questions about New Kitana

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Hey guys Iv started playing Kitana again and Iv got some questions about how you use her new buffs. Iv been playing her like I used pre October Kitana and feel like I'm limiting the hell out of myself.

Basically she wasn't meter hungry at all pre patch and I'd even find myself being able to x-ray and break far more often than with any other character Iv used. Now with the DP xx EX float stuff and 2 bar armor launcher she has more ways to spend meter. So is the DP xx EX float actually used for pressure? And what does your typical blockstring into float look like?

And why not Assassin more? I don't really see how it lacks compared to Royal Storm, especially with the DP xx EX float option seeming like a great opportunity for chip in the corner, you don't need to look at her face also. Then again, Royal Storm has the reflect, mobility, and better lift, and is more versatile over all whereas Assassin's strength is a bit more singular. But that singular strength seems strong enough to make it worth using... but idk

Sorry for the amateurish questions but I haven't played or even watched a lot of MK or especially Kitana lately.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Just spam fans lol like all the other kitana skrubs
This actually leads to another question I have lol.

Is the fan zoning really that effective? It works wonders on people who have no patience and jump like retards, but I see it more as a means to safety build meter rather than actually keeping an opponent out for a whole game since it's all highs (unless we are talking about the before mentioned jumping maniacs, then her zoning makes it a wrap). It's hard for Quan, Pred, or Sektor to keep people out and their zoning is away better than hers, I don't think she's a full blown zoning character. Idk.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Basically she wasn't meter hungry at all pre patch and I'd even find myself being able to x-ray and break far more often than with any other character Iv used. Now with the DP xx EX float stuff and 2 bar armor launcher she has more ways to spend meter. So is the DP xx EX float actually used for pressure? And what does your typical blockstring into float look like?
Yea it's actually used for pressure. Don't abuse it tho since you can be punished if they know how to do it but yea, it's pretty legit. You can do any string into dp but I usually do f112 or 111. D1 dp jails and d3 dp breaks one hit armor moves. Pretty hard to counterpoke her but has to spend a bar to combo from it. Even tho she uses 2 bar for a launcher and has ex float shenanigans, you'll be surprised how much meter you'll have lol. She gains it quick
And why not Assassin more? I don't really see how it lacks compared to Royal Storm, especially with the DP xx EX float option seeming like a great opportunity for chip in the corner, you don't need to look at her face also. Then again, Royal Storm has the reflect, mobility, and better lift, and is more versatile over all whereas Assassin's strength is a bit more singular. But that singular strength seems strong enough to make it worth using... but idk
Assassin was actually the variation of choice before the patch, but with all the buffs RS got, plus ex float being universal, RS got much better. The only thing assassin has over RS at this point is the damage, parry and chip. That doesn't mean assassin isn't bad, it's actually very good and viable. I personally think ex float should've been an assassin only buff because that definitely helps her rushdown way better and RS shouldn't be her rushdown variation, but I'm not complaining lol.

It's all preference on how you play. I prefer RS since I like the whole "one minute full screen presence next minute in your face presence" thing, while assassin all about "in your face".

xKhaoTik

This actually leads to another question I have lol.

Is the fan zoning really that effective? It works wonders on people who have no patience and jump like retards, but I see it more as a means to safety build meter rather than actually keeping an opponent out for a whole game since it's all highs (unless we are talking about the before mentioned jumping maniacs, then her zoning makes it a wrap). It's hard for Quan, Pred, or Sektor to keep people out and their zoning is away better than hers, I don't think she's a full blown zoning character. Idk.
She is a zoner but zoning isn't really her game, if that makes sense. It's mainly to build meter and be a nuisance. Her zoning doesn't really create space since she's stationary while doing it while they are moving in. It's still good zoning tho since we all know what happens if someone jumps into one lol

I think of her as a "hybrid". Pretty much does everything. Not the best at everything, but has everything and does it well with very little weaknesses. Not OP but very strong

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Hey guys Iv started playing Kitana again and Iv got some questions about how you use her new buffs. Iv been playing her like I used pre October Kitana and feel like I'm limiting the hell out of myself.

Sorry for the amateurish questions but I haven't played or even watched a lot of MK or especially Kitana lately.
1. Kitana has always been and will be a zoner with Fan Toss being the best projectile in the game other than Sub-Zero's freeze and Scorpion's Harpoon hands down. Trades well with everything, stupid on block at the right range, catch them anywhere mid-air and score a full combo, good damage, good speed, instant air version even more stupid. You absolutely need to learn to iaf with her and to convert all off-ground fan catches into 50% damage.

2. DP Ex Float can be backdashed, poked and armored so don't go ham but it's a good way to take a round in the corner, also a good way to keep them honest if they don't have stamina at the moment. Typical blockstring is f11, f22 or 21 those are your best strings.

3. Why not play both? Go ahead and play assassin, it does better damage but has worse options in some matchups. The best way to figure out if assassin clicks better with your playstyle is to try it. It's not explicitly worse just a stricter playstyle based on Sharpen and less range play overall. Fan strings are your best friend.

Don't apologise for asking questions. That's what the forum is for.

1. Kitana has always been and will be a zoner with Fan Toss being the best projectile in the game other than Sub-Zero's freeze and Scorpion's Harpoon hands down. Trades well with everything, stupid on block at the right range, catch them anywhere mid-air and score a full combo, good damage, good speed, instant air version even more stupid. You absolutely need to learn to iaf with her and to convert all off-ground fan catches into 50% damage.

2. DP Ex Float can be backdashed, poked and armored so don't go ham but it's a good way to take a round in the corner, also a good way to keep them honest if they don't have stamina at the moment. Typical blockstring is f11, f22 or 21 those are your best strings.

3. Why not play both? Go ahead and play assassin, it does better damage but has worse options in some matchups. The best way to figure out if assassin clicks better with your playstyle is to try it. It's not explicitly worse just a stricter playstyle based on Sharpen and less range play overall. Fan strings are your best friend.

Don't apologise for asking questions. That's what the forum is for.
What's a good off ground fan catch combo?

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
??

But she can't counter zone either and his rushdown is better than hers.
Looking at the frame data and raw damage output it seems like a 5-5 to me. I'm not calling you out on being wrong, don't misunderstand. You probably know better than I do. But my in experience and by frame data it seems like an even mu.

Looking at the frame data and raw damage output it seems like a 5-5 to me. I'm not calling you out on being wrong, don't misunderstand. You probably know better than I do. But my in experience and by frame data it seems like an even mu.
on paper it looks fine, but the actual match is literally the worst

xKhaoTik

It's bad bro lol. Literally any Kitana will tell you that. Probably her worst.

If she were able to reflect the disk, the MU would be MUCH easier

Cashual

PSN: Cansuela
1. Do you guys follow ex float jip pressure with f112 back into DP ex float? If not what string do you use after ex float jip?

2. what combo do you prefer when catching someone with an aa fan from full screen? I've been doing either grounded fan or ia fan depending on which I landed originally, run in f4xxlift f33xxbf4, but I know I am leaving damage on the table at 26%.

3. Do f22u4 and f112 basically have the same use? Which do you prefer as a mid in the neutral?

4. After a landed d3 is there enough hit advantage to guarantee a combo and if so is it only 111 fan or 11 ex fan? Also, are you guys hit confirming pokes?

5. Does d1 on hit guarantee anything?

6. Any frame traps other than 21 d3?

7. What combo do you like off of a poke DP ex float fan?

8. Any other general kitana advice?

9. And lastly, I find her to be hype and very fun to play, why do you think she's so reviled?

Any input on any of these questions is appreciated, I know it's a lot

@Cashual

1. f112 is the follow up string, rinse and repeat. people catch on and start backdashing, armoring, or low profiling so dont do it too much. also don't do it on kung lao or cassie at all

2. from air fan depending on how i react i either run up f33 xx fan, f33 (f4 is easier here) xx lift, float njp, run f4 xx ender. if i dont react fast enought I do air fan, then ground fan then same combo mostly. from grounded fan its mostly the same just different order

3. I use f112 more than f22u4 cuz the stagger on every part of f112 is better. i use f22 from max range mostly. and at the beginning of matches sometimes ill walkback and do f22u4

4. Don't know the specifics here, @xKhaoTik for this one

5. Nope, its plus 3 only

6. Nope

7. go in to f112 xx fan, jk fan, f33 or f4 lift NJP f4 ender. there's probably better stuff but this is easy and consistent

8. Throw Fans bruh, unless the character can teleport then throw fans but be careful. dont fight HQT predator with this character lol learn to whiff air normals in to floats and fans for those air footsies. you can convert almost any stray hit with at least a 30% combo. shes got amazing staggers so use them. learn iaFan

9. people hate zoning. they also hate being zoned into full combo lol

5. Does d1 on hit guarantee anything?
this is where you need the mind games. If you cancel d1 into fan and d1 hit, opponent must block the fan. This is used to condition opponents. After d1 on hi You can walk up throw, B2, B4 or instant air float to start your game or whatever you may want, if you gain enough respect. In case you play against Kotal Kahn who loves d1 d1 d1 after eating Kitana's d1, you can walk back whiff punish him, or throw out another d1 fan to teach him a lesson

6. there are some good stagger strings, although they're not plus, it's very hard to react and counterpoke:
s1 into B1 or throw
F11 into throw or B14
B1 into throw
surprise long range F2 into d3

And if you meet Predator, Mournful is the best answer. There's a blind spot where you can avoid all the laser shots and throw glaives back at him safely. Watch out for the disc before you jump though

Cashual

PSN: Cansuela
this is where you need the mind games. If you cancel d1 into fan and d1 hit, opponent must block the fan. This is used to condition opponents. After d1 on hi You can walk up throw, B2, B4 or instant air float to start your game or whatever you may want, if you gain enough respect. In case you play against Kotal Kahn who loves d1 d1 d1 after eating Kitana's d1, you can walk back whiff punish him, or throw out another d1 fan to teach him a lesson

6. there are some good stagger strings, although they're not plus, it's very hard to react and counterpoke:
s1 into B1 or throw
F11 into throw or B14
B1 into throw
surprise long range F2 into d3
Thanks a lot man, really helpful post. I'm going to work on the d1 mind games

Temetias

"MKX kid"
Btw U2 is a beast of a normal. You can float out of it on block without meter to continue pressure. Also it can end combos in the corner for nasty setups. (Lift-U24-float-jip)