What's new

Solomon Grundy best stage discussion

Hey, I am so glad I found this thread. Stages are a big deal for me, and I have a few thoughts. If someone disagrees, that's fine, because it's just my experiences I'm drawing on here.

-I think my favorite stage for Grundy, especially as player 1, is mess hall. That interactable at the beginning is a much bigger risk for them than it is for me, as Grundy's anti-airs and wakeup-though armor options are too good. Better yet, the pig is Grundy's favorite toy, full punishes with WCC and WC MB into big damage. Lack of right-side corner escape plus the mask so close to the corner is pretty good too, if you read them going for an interactable, you either get the interact hit for free if you used df1 to catch them, and if you just hit them into the corner you can enter the vortex. Because of pig's anti-air hitbox and the good ranges on the masks, I like this stage against airdashers, and most people, actually.

-Arkham/Joker cell is fun too, the flower and tvs are so easy for Grundy to use well, but I feel it favors some power characters as much as it does Grundy (maybe even moreso in the cases of Wonder Woman and Superman), not the case for mess hall.

-When the opponent is heavily ground-based, though, I'm starting to enjoy Watchtower. There are always a lot of hurlable robots flying in, good for controlling the ground, and if you can get to the corner Grundy has good restand resets with that left-corner button, which he can get from combos into MB swamphands so easily. That stage kills matchups that Grundy can zone all day (however few those may be), too.

-Rooftop is obvious power v. tool matchup.

Other than that, I don't know too many stages to a serious degree. I have some small impressions, though.
-Wayne Manor is okay when Grundy's on the left side (Car has a huge hitbox, good stage for Grundy vs tool once he uses it up),
-Stryker Yard and Themyscira port are fun on the right corner for that Donkeykong option (pretty good, need to mix with anti-airs to catch air mobility, if I recall there's no corner escape on port, which is awesome),
-Hall of justice, despite some positive things I saw in earlier posts, I don't like at all for power vs tool. Gives the opponent setups with the roomba to break armor when they normally couldn't, and I really dislike that (I hate hall of justice when playing any power vs. tool, but it seems Grundy most of all, bust of heihachi and robawt gives tool chars too many escapes from corner vortex too). Though when they press the roomba sometimes I can keep them in check with MB swamp hands. Power vs. Power, I like it more, though, suddenly the flying roombas keep air guys honest, and they're slow enough that I have a big long time to react with WCC. It's like I'm the only one with interactables, so fun.

I avoid Ferris for the most part. Also avoid Luthor's Lab, and Themyscira regular (those lion heads are doo-doo).

Also, I don't like Stryker's island regular, not one bit. Seriously, Grundy gets no interacts to catch air people (except left corner minigun is really good), there's a tool escape option in the center and right corner, and in the left corner tool gets the minigun, which is really really good against Grundy's armor, and is activated in the air, which means Grundy has fewer options to catch it.
Don't think anybody advocates hall of justices against gadget/acrobat characters. Hall of justice is broken for a LOT of acrobat/gadget characters far worse than rooftop was for power vs acrobat. batgirl turns bad matches into good ones on that stage.

I was in a 5 on 5 tournament recently and I managed to get ferris an unusual amount of times. i don't really mind it with grundy after that. The turbine can't be ducked when thrown by a power character and the hit box on the missile is pretty good. The rockets on the side you can read and punish pretty easily.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I avoid The yard (with all 5 barrels) and the Port (same thing)
Grundy can not avoid those interactables at all...... so he has to armor them... and if they are used as OTG... you eat every single one of them. Super fair.

Everything else really doesn't bother me.

I avoid The yard (with all 5 barrels) and the Port (same thing)
Grundy can not avoid those interactables at all...... so he has to armor them... and if they are used as OTG... you eat every single one of them. Super fair.

Everything else really doesn't bother me.
I've actually had a lot of luck hitting people with mb swamp hands when they go for both of those since they don't jump. Timing it so it either hits before they toss it or so I absord the hit with the armor similiar to punishing batgirls bola with mb swamp hands.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I've actually had a lot of luck hitting people with mb swamp hands when they go for both of those since they don't jump. Timing it so it either hits before they toss it or so I absord the hit with the armor similiar to punishing batgirls bola with mb swamp hands.
on the yard i'm pretty sure the power characters jump
The port I think you're right.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Right you can still catch them before they toss it. You can avoid the jump throws similiar timing to avoiding the roombas. Don't the acrobat and gadgets stay grounded on both stages though?
yeah I believe so
I Just hate when i get OTG'd with them... because you get "launched' and can't avoid the next one or the next one.

I think my gripe is with the interactable and not the stage itself.

yeah I believe so
I Just hate when i get OTG'd with them... because you get "launched' and can't avoid the next one or the next one.

I think my gripe is with the interactable and not the stage itself.
I think you can backdash the followup throws in that situation. I don't remember having a major issue with it. But ya its an annoying interactable for sure. try backdashing the subsequent ones.

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
I used to go for Metropolis against gadget characters and gotham alley for fast power characters (Superman for example), but now I've been going for gotham alley all the time. That dumpster is great bait for Gadget characters and the interacatables at either end are pretty easy to avoid.

Klesk_1

RIP Grundy
Current fav is themy. mind games on the lion heads since they don't quite reach you on match start. plus you get tree, middle bounce off statue and that weird fire pyre thing at the end which is quick as hell. Definitely my fav, more than aslyum which used to be my fav.

CommonNick

Europe, PSN: "CommonNick"
Current fav is themy. mind games on the lion heads since they don't quite reach you on match start. plus you get tree, middle bounce off statue and that weird fire pyre thing at the end which is quick as hell. Definitely my fav, more than aslyum which used to be my fav.
But other power characters are way more mobile than you are(thus it's more likely that they'll get to the interactables first), while the tree is good for you, and easily punishable with WCC, the lion heads feel impossible to punish for me :(

CommonNick

Europe, PSN: "CommonNick"
Against other power characters I like Wayne Manor, not much shit for them to throw at you and if they do its hella obvious.
Well, the statue is very good, they get into the corner=you win. And there is the BGB option too, both the car and the flying int are hella punishable. Only problem is the bike. It does sound good, it's just not good against gadget and acrobatic characters. (they get out of the corner)

Klesk_1

RIP Grundy
But other power characters are way more mobile than you are(thus it's more likely that they'll get to the interactables first), while the tree is good for you, and easily punishable with WCC, the lion heads feel impossible to punish for me :(
lions head you just predict the range or back dash out of it. most people will waste them as they don't get the difference in range compared with other interactibles. It's definitely a winner for me.

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
On Ferris Aircraft, if Grundy hits someone with the pendulum. He can time a EX GR and then dash up and do F13, 11~Trait.

I'll post more Stage Specific setups when I get home. I might also add a stage specific combo section to the combos if I can.
I was messing with comboing off this yesterday and wondered if anyone had posted anything here. I thought timing a MB hands was all he could do, I did try what you posted a few times and wasn't even close to landing it. Even with just dashing straight in I couldn't land his F13.

I did experiment with some combos off the ice pipe in the Asylum level too, you can do some very good stuff off this. Making use of the B1 reset so your follow up doesn't have the 50% damage scaling on it. You can get well over 50% off of it. Probably put up a video for this later.

ll Nooby ll

To Live is to Die
I was messing with comboing off this yesterday and wondered if anyone had posted anything here. I thought timing a MB hands was all he could do, I did try what you posted a few times and wasn't even close to landing it. Even with just dashing straight in I couldn't land his F13.

I did experiment with some combos off the ice pipe in the Asylum level too, you can do some very good stuff off this. Making use of the B1 reset so your follow up doesn't have the 50% damage scaling on it. You can get well over 50% off of it. Probably put up a video for this later.
F13 is really hard to land from fullscreen. You have to cancel the last dash with F13, and you have to do F13 from like its max range.
I used to have combos for every stage on the old BnB list but that got taken down.