What's new

Solomon Grundy best stage discussion

Haven't really seen much in the way of stage discussion here and I kind of find it odd. Stages seem to play a significant role in this game and make some bad match ups better. Right now I do two stages mainly.

Metropolis rooftop

I use this against all acrobat and gadget characters because the flying drones are more or less terrible for them. Half the time people use them and end up getting blown up because they forget that it shoots a short range and doesn't throw it like watchtower. It gives me a significant advantage in bonus damage and since they're flying it helps against annoying zoning characters like deathstroke. Though he can snipe you if you're too obvious.

Hall of Justice

This is my for most power characters. It seems to really help the match against hawk girl and green lantern. Hawk girl can't fly around as easily for fear of flying roomba's and if lantern wants to zone he runs into the same issue.

secondary stage for gadget/acrobat characters is Atlantis. I find that a lot of th gadget/acrobat players like this stage because they think the valve will keep grundy out. Often I'll let them get to the corner then go in armor through the valve and then hit them with whatever combo and finish with health chain for good corner mixups and pressure.

Stages I avoid

I am not a fan of ferris aircraft. Grundy can't duck the turbine or if he can i'm having terrible luck with it so you have to armor in and its somewhat annoying. The rocket side comes out quick and its tougher to armor through it and there are a lot of little things on the stage that people can toss at you.

Looking for thoughts on other stages or possibly more character specific stage match ups.

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
Cell Blocks are good because of all the interactables are in the air save 1. Mess halls are good because of armored pig tactics and the three air interactables. Also, real men fight in the Mess Hall.

ll Nooby ll

To Live is to Die
I always pick Atlantis most of the time. I'm thinking about using Metro Rooftop whenever it's a non-power character. But against power other power characters I avoid Rooftop at all costs since Grundy has absolutely no way of avoiding the thing, or even being able to get a punish if you decide to WCC through.

On Ferris Aircraft, non-power characters will ride the pendulum and will be right next to when you fall from it (for a full combo) but this can be avoided by crouching. Power characters throw the pendulum and stay in the corner while you are put fullscreen, this one hits mid and has to be armored through.

ll Nooby ll

To Live is to Die
On Ferris Aircraft, if Grundy hits someone with the pendulum. He can time a EX GR and then dash up and do F13, 11~Trait.

I'll post more Stage Specific setups when I get home. I might also add a stage specific combo section to the combos if I can.

I always pick Atlantis most of the time. I'm thinking about using Metro Rooftop whenever it's a non-power character. But against power other power characters I avoid Rooftop at all costs since Grundy has absolutely no way of avoiding the thing, or even being able to get a punish if you decide to WCC through.

On Ferris Aircraft, non-power characters will ride the pendulum and will be right next to when you fall from it (for a full combo) but this can be avoided by crouching. Power characters throw the pendulum and stay in the corner while you are put fullscreen, this one hits mid and has to be armored through.

Most of grundy's issues against other power characters is zoning related so I don't like atlantis for that. You don't have extra tools to get in and they have a way out in the corner. I prefer hall of justice against them because of the drones that keep coming out. It makes the hawk girl match more bearable and if your opponent wants to try and use them against you it forces them to stay out of the air and gives you time to move n and armor through it.

ll Nooby ll

To Live is to Die
Most of grundy's issues against other power characters is zoning related so I don't like atlantis for that. You don't have extra tools to get in and they have a way out in the corner. I prefer hall of justice against them because of the drones that keep coming out. It makes the hawk girl match more bearable and if your opponent wants to try and use them against you it forces them to stay out of the air and gives you time to move n and armor through it.
I like Atlantis because you can WCC on reaction to whatever corner interactable they do in Atlantis and punish for a full combo. I also just like having less bullshit on the stage too. Even though that pole that acrobats slide onto can be annoying. There's also a stage bounce which can Grundy access to very damaging meterless combos, and devastating meter combos.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
On Ferris Aircraft, if Grundy hits someone with the pendulum. He can time a EX GR and then dash up and do F13, 11~Trait.

I'll post more Stage Specific setups when I get home. I might also add a stage specific combo section to the combos if I can.

nice. i was just using MB swamp hands into dash up trait,
yours will do more damage so going to go try it out

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Stryker's Island.

All of the gadget characters can't do anything BS without getting caught by a swamp hands. Then you can easily go up, fuck them up, then toss the damn interactable right at them.

Drecker

GET CITY.
Atlantis.

Gets a ton of use out of every interactable, gets GIGANTIC damage with the bounce off the fountain, dash is fast enough to catch non-power characters using the pipe, walls can't be used against him because of MB Swamp Hands > Full combo or WCG through them.

Atlantis.

Gets a ton of use out of every interactable, gets GIGANTIC damage with the bounce off the fountain, dash is fast enough to catch non-power characters using the pipe, walls can't be used against him because of MB Swamp Hands > Full combo or WCG through them.
gotta disagree. The pipe makes some fights a nightmare. You can make a jump read go for a WCC only to have the input crossed up and you're punished due to pipe use. The tablet is a mostly useless interactable leaving him with the two walls. Its relatively small but its a stage where he can easily be avoided and his ability to anti air is removed and can potentially lead to getting combo'd. You can not anti air and let them jump in on you for free and hope they use the pipe to punish but thats not really a good guessing game for grundy.

Drecker

GET CITY.
gotta disagree. The pipe makes some fights a nightmare. You can make a jump read go for a WCC only to have the input crossed up and you're punished due to pipe use. The tablet is a mostly useless interactable leaving him with the two walls. Its relatively small but its a stage where he can easily be avoided and his ability to anti air is removed and can potentially lead to getting combo'd. You can not anti air and let them jump in on you for free and hope they use the pipe to punish but thats not really a good guessing game for grundy.

Tablet is great for meaty setups, especially up close (as is almost every power character interactable). Globe tracks ridiculously well, too. If you see them grab the pipe, one dash closes the distance and you're in their face again. If they're jumping in your face point-blank and grabbing the pipe, just d2 them on reaction to rising animation and smack them off the pipe itself because you can hit them until they start moving forward. If they do grab it, like I said, just dash to them. No character can land and punish a whiffed Walking Corpse unless you do it extremely late if you do get crossed over, but this can be remedied by just d2'ing to AA instead of Corpse'ing when they jump.

The fact that nobody can safely use the walls against Grundy from any range coupled with how often you can use the fountain bounce is what really makes this such a good stage for him.

Nonameformedude

That Yung Big Body
Its without a doubt Atlantis. Not only is this stage pretty balanced for everyone, but its pretty tailored for grundy and other armor characters. Two interactables on either end of the map, both in damaging range of each other, both can be meter burned. If you fight a power character you can trade damage from an interactable with another interactable, if you are against a non power character you always have advantage when they are in the corner because you can avoid their interactable by using the globe/stone pallet. Non power characters can continuously use their interactable, but this is instantly blown up by a walking corpse so its really bad for them to use it(but its there right, they always use it in panic). Great combo extender in the middle of the map that covers a large area. The pipe that can only be used by acrobats/gadget characters can be nice for them, but once power characters get used to it they will realize its for their benefit as you can anti air someone right off of it for a full combo punish. No stage transition, which is good for grundy because he is not a character that has a meterless combo leading into a stage transition(yes he can do it with meter, but because of that he will land the transition much less frequently). Its perfect for grundy to call home

Tablet is great for meaty setups, especially up close (as is almost every power character interactable). Globe tracks ridiculously well, too. If you see them grab the pipe, one dash closes the distance and you're in their face again. If they're jumping in your face point-blank and grabbing the pipe, just d2 them on reaction to rising animation and smack them off the pipe itself because you can hit them until they start moving forward. If they do grab it, like I said, just dash to them. No character can land and punish a whiffed Walking Corpse unless you do it extremely late if you do get crossed over, but this can be remedied by just d2'ing to AA instead of Corpse'ing when they jump.

The fact that nobody can safely use the walls against Grundy from any range coupled with how often you can use the fountain bounce is what really makes this such a good stage for him.

fountain bounce is nice enough in certain situations but it doesn't really add much to him unless you're landing it off a raw 112. compare to rooftop against gadget and acrobats. They can't use the drones other than the machine gun without eating a 50% combo. Grundy has a replenishing supply of OTG drones that are harder to avoid than the tablet. I just get the feeling you haven't played a good nightwing or deathstroke on atlantis. They can keep away from grundy all day using the pipe.

For power characters the plaza has an interactable bounce, replensihing supply of interactables that can OTG and they're easy enough for grundy to avoid.

Asylum is better too with replenishing flower on one side and the freeze pipe on the other where grundy gets unscaled damage

and fortress is good with its spaceship combo's into doomsday bounce and the teleporter

Atlantis is a nightmare to deal with several characters that grundy handles on other stages. I used to run atlantis more than the others until i started to notice this.

Drecker

GET CITY.
It's great off any starter. Fountain bounce off f1,2(or 3) gives 43% meterless, 68% one bar (both without power chain obv). I don't get how that's only good in certain situations.

Oddly enough, 11 starter with the bounce b&b gives same damage as 112 starter. 112 xx Bounce also doesn't work on the whole cast.

It's great off any starter. Fountain bounce off f1,2(or 3) gives 43% meterless, 68% one bar (both without power chain obv). I don't get how that's only good in certain situations.

Oddly enough, 11 starter with the bounce b&b gives same damage as 112 starter. 112 xx Bounce also doesn't work on the whole cast.
Raw mb swamp hands is the starter I land most often on atlantis. That doesn't allow for another mb off the bound and I beleive damage ends up being better off a standard reset.

Its without a doubt Atlantis. Not only is this stage pretty balanced for everyone, but its pretty tailored for grundy and other armor characters. Two interactables on either end of the map, both in damaging range of each other, both can be meter burned. If you fight a power character you can trade damage from an interactable with another interactable, if you are against a non power character you always have advantage when they are in the corner because you can avoid their interactable by using the globe/stone pallet. Non power characters can continuously use their interactable, but this is instantly blown up by a walking corpse so its really bad for them to use it(but its there right, they always use it in panic). Great combo extender in the middle of the map that covers a large area. The pipe that can only be used by acrobats/gadget characters can be nice for them, but once power characters get used to it they will realize its for their benefit as you can anti air someone right off of it for a full combo punish. No stage transition, which is good for grundy because he is not a character that has a meterless combo leading into a stage transition(yes he can do it with meter, but because of that he will land the transition much less frequently). Its perfect for grundy to call home

You can only anti air them as they are coming off the pipe though. If you try while they're on it they can't be hit. In grundy's case if you go for an anti air you can end up getting punished if they use the pipe. Lot's of gadget/acrobats have long range moves that can hit you while you're recovering. Flash or raven for example

Klesk_1

RIP Grundy
I always choose asylum because of the mind game which has to be played at the beginning of the match, most power characters will jump back, most acros will jump forward, so, from this, you can do jump back intractable or aa then use the intractable respectively.

I might try a bit more of halls of justice though for the likes of lantern and hawkgirl after reading this.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Stryker's Island.

All of the gadget characters can't do anything BS without getting caught by a swamp hands. Then you can easily go up, fuck them up, then toss the damn interactable right at them.

^^^ This. And if you end up in the Yard and they start flinging barrels, WCC through or jump over and make use of the big-ass hitbox of J3 into 112 Hands or Cleaver, or another WCC and a barrel toss if you're feeling really handsome.

My favorite is Watchtower, but that's my favorite stage altogether.
Everyone can throw robots = everyone has a fair shake to dirty dancing.

DukeofFortuneMan

Some guy with a PS3
Hey, I am so glad I found this thread. Stages are a big deal for me, and I have a few thoughts. If someone disagrees, that's fine, because it's just my experiences I'm drawing on here.

-I think my favorite stage for Grundy, especially as player 1, is mess hall. That interactable at the beginning is a much bigger risk for them than it is for me, as Grundy's anti-airs and wakeup-though armor options are too good. Better yet, the pig is Grundy's favorite toy, full punishes with WCC and WC MB into big damage. Lack of right-side corner escape plus the mask so close to the corner is pretty good too, if you read them going for an interactable, you either get the interact hit for free if you used df1 to catch them, and if you just hit them into the corner you can enter the vortex. Because of pig's anti-air hitbox and the good ranges on the masks, I like this stage against airdashers, and most people, actually.

-Arkham/Joker cell is fun too, the flower and tvs are so easy for Grundy to use well, but I feel it favors some power characters as much as it does Grundy (maybe even moreso in the cases of Wonder Woman and Superman), not the case for mess hall.

-When the opponent is heavily ground-based, though, I'm starting to enjoy Watchtower. There are always a lot of hurlable robots flying in, good for controlling the ground, and if you can get to the corner Grundy has good restand resets with that left-corner button, which he can get from combos into MB swamphands so easily. That stage kills matchups that Grundy can zone all day (however few those may be), too.

-Rooftop is obvious power v. tool matchup.

Other than that, I don't know too many stages to a serious degree. I have some small impressions, though.
-Wayne Manor is okay when Grundy's on the left side (Car has a huge hitbox, good stage for Grundy vs tool once he uses it up),
-Stryker Yard and Themyscira port are fun on the right corner for that Donkeykong option (pretty good, need to mix with anti-airs to catch air mobility, if I recall there's no corner escape on port, which is awesome),
-Hall of justice, despite some positive things I saw in earlier posts, I don't like at all for power vs tool. Gives the opponent setups with the roomba to break armor when they normally couldn't, and I really dislike that (I hate hall of justice when playing any power vs. tool, but it seems Grundy most of all, bust of heihachi and robawt gives tool chars too many escapes from corner vortex too). Though when they press the roomba sometimes I can keep them in check with MB swamp hands. Power vs. Power, I like it more, though, suddenly the flying roombas keep air guys honest, and they're slow enough that I have a big long time to react with WCC. It's like I'm the only one with interactables, so fun.

I avoid Ferris for the most part. Also avoid Luthor's Lab, and Themyscira regular (those lion heads are doo-doo).

Also, I don't like Stryker's island regular, not one bit. Seriously, Grundy gets no interacts to catch air people (except left corner minigun is really good), there's a tool escape option in the center and right corner, and in the left corner tool gets the minigun, which is really really good against Grundy's armor, and is activated in the air, which means Grundy has fewer options to catch it.