What's new

So. Who's Karin?

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Just curious as to peoples opinions on this. I'm having a character crisis and just trying to explore some options.

In SFV I played Karin.. took me forever to settle on her.. but I finally did. For those that arent familiar with that game, Karin was (imo) a footsie character first and foremost with strong spacing and pace control that hit like a a truck thats not actually a truck but just a picture of a truck painted onto a meteor. She played back with an AMAZING neutral game, then when she got an opening she could go ham. She relied on hit confirms to stay safe and keep her pressure up. If she goofed and didnt hit confirm a special she was wide open.

So, who does Inj2 have that's similar?

Catwoman leaps immediately to mind... But who else? CW is currently a side-main of mine and has been since almost week one, but I do worry about changes and what they MAY do to her. She ABSOLUTELY needs some adjustments, but you never know when they'll go too far. She's also so heavily played, I just want to explore other options.

Not to mention Im bored and just looking for discussion.

What do you all think?

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I played a little bit of Karin in SFV, she's probably my favorite character in that game. I'm not sure they totally fit what you're looking for, but so far in Injustice 2 I've had fun playing Wonder Woman and Black Canary.

EntropicByDesign

Sounds like you need some scarecrow in your life my man
I actually do have a bit of a Crow. I havent had any real sets with him, but Ive put him through his paces in training mode to get an idea of his combos and his stuff.. I do likes him quite a lot.

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
You're asking us to compare a party game character to a game like Injustice? Oh this is a tough one but I'll try my best

WoWo comes to mind but if they don't have to be female or lesser-played then Adam/Superman

EntropicByDesign

I played a little bit of Karin in SFV, she's probably my favorite character in that game. I'm not sure they totally fit what you're looking for, but so far in Injustice 2 I've had fun playing Wonder Woman and Black Canary.

I havent played any WW yet, but Ive been experimenting with Canary some the last week or so.. Shes super fun.

You're asking us to compare a party game character to a game like Injustice? Oh this is a tough one but I'll try my best

WoWo comes to mind but if they don't have to be female or lesser-played then Adam/Superman
Obviously its not a one to one comparison kind of thing, but its possible to compare characters across the games to a degree., Not everyone and not in all ways, but parallels can be drawn pretty well.

So WoWo is popping up a couple times. I havent touched her at all. Hm.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
The thing with WW is that she's built more on patience than anything else. She has solid damage, a 6F D1 that she can hit confirm into a solid combo, a good wakeup, but not much mixup or good attacking strings. The way she reminds me of Karin is that I find her game revolves around controlling the neutral, slowly working the opponent into the corner, and then cashing in on the opponents mistakes.

Black Canary has more of that rushdown/damage type of Karin play. She'll struggle with zoning, and not a lot of her stuff is safe, but her mix and damge potential is fun. If you can get a good read on an opponent and can maximise her tools she can blowout people.

EntropicByDesign

The thing with WW is that she's built more on patience than anything else. She has solid damage, a 6F D1 that she can hit confirm into a solid combo, a good wakeup, but not much mixup or good attacking strings. The way she reminds me of Karin is that I find her game revolves around controlling the neutral, slowly working the opponent into the corner, and then cashing in on the opponents mistakes.

Black Canary has more of that rushdown/damage type of Karin play. She'll struggle with zoning, and not a lot of her stuff is safe, but her mix and damge potential is fun. If you can get a good read on an opponent and can maximise her tools she can blowout people.
Yeah Canary is a BLAST and I sometimes wonder why I dont see more of her.. Her mix is so unsafe, I suppose that's why, in addition to having some bad MU's vs the top tiers... but when you get a nice sequence on someone as her, its just.. godlike. Open them into a combo that leads to a mix into a mix and thats pretty much a life bar,.

EntropicByDesign

Maybe Robin? Lots of space control with his sword normals, good damage and setups, lots of hit-confirmable strings into special that's death on block otherwise, seems to match what you're saying pretty well.
Robin was one of my day one potential mains, but I just dont click with him for some reason. On paper he ticks all the boxes, but in game, i just never found myself enjoying playing him.

I know its CRAZY early, but I wish Sub had some more obvious strengths. Not gonna lie, I miss MKX's b2, lol.

The Flash
Not a bad idea. Ive played him a little and he's interesting. He has a really unique feel and timing to his stuff. He has a pretty high level of required execution too if I understand correctly.

Blue beetle needs more love.......... doesn't hit like a truck, but amazing footsies, very safe character, and very mobile with solid spacing, some hit confirming necessary for max dmg combos (which he needs all the help he can get with that) and/or needs to hit confirm in order to stay safe instead of just throwing out high low mix ups (which isn't that ineffective).

Also, most importantly, he is just hella fun to play

Last edited:

trufenix

bye felicia
Blue beetle needs more love.......... doesn't hit like a truck, but amazing footsies, very safe character, and very mobile with solid spacing, some hit confirming necessary for max dmg combos (which he needs all the help he can get with that) and/or needs to hit confirm in order to stay safe instead of just throwing out high low mix ups (which isn't that ineffective).

Also, most importantly, he is just hella fun to play
I would agree, I think a lot of people are missing out on how fun (and flexible) Beetle is. I would play him more but I have no mind for flight cancel shenanigans.

I would agree, I think a lot of people are missing out on how fun (and flexible) Beetle is. I would play him more but I have no mind for flight cancel shenanigans.
Flight cancels are fun.... but they aren't that hard, nor do I think you need to cancel 4 times in a row, stay on the ground where its safe... I think you just have to learn certain set ups for the corner.... he gets hella crazy optional cross ups in the corner.

trufenix

bye felicia
Flight cancels are fun.... but they aren't that hard, nor do I think you need to cancel 4 times in a row, stay on the ground where its safe... I think you just have to learn certain set ups for the corner.... he gets hella crazy optional cross ups in the corner.
oh I can do them, I'm just not good enough strategically to successfully corporate them into my game plan. I've seen Espio and some of the other big beetles around here put in enough work to be jelly.

RNLDRGN

RONALD ROGAN
Just curious as to peoples opinions on this. I'm having a character crisis and just trying to explore some options.

In SFV I played Karin.. took me forever to settle on her.. but I finally did. For those that arent familiar with that game, Karin was (imo) a footsie character first and foremost with strong spacing and pace control that hit like a a truck thats not actually a truck but just a picture of a truck painted onto a meteor. She played back with an AMAZING neutral game, then when she got an opening she could go ham. She relied on hit confirms to stay safe and keep her pressure up. If she goofed and didnt hit confirm a special she was wide open.

So, who does Inj2 have that's similar?

Catwoman leaps immediately to mind... But who else? CW is currently a side-main of mine and has been since almost week one, but I do worry about changes and what they MAY do to her. She ABSOLUTELY needs some adjustments, but you never know when they'll go too far. She's also so heavily played, I just want to explore other options.

Not to mention Im bored and just looking for discussion.

What do you all think?
SFV player here. Catwoman 100%. You are right on the money.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Catwoman

I'm shocked by all the Black Canary being mentioned, he said amazing footsies and neutral game(I guess when she has lvl 3 trait) and hit confirms, not mixups out the ass lol

EntropicByDesign

Lots of good info here folks. Beetle is super interesting to tell the truth. His mobility and speed make him just fun to play. Might look into him some. A buddy mains him, so we might have to have an IRL battle to the death, but maybe not. lol.

A quick note on Bladam and Aqua.. Kinda Catwoman too.. I know this is dumb, but I try to stay away from characters that are massively overplayed, or almost certainly getting a nerfbat soon. After the bat hits, no problem, but prior.. I just dont like playing them. I'm always nervous that they're going to get destroyed and end up bad.

Now, I should also note that I dont choose characters based on them being great. So if a character I like gets nerfed into relative weakness, thats fine, so long as whatever I found fun about them survived but its such a gamble when you're almost positive characters will be getting a nerf in the very near future. Aqua isnt a character I care for too much anyway, I know how good he is obviously, and his strings are amazing, but I like mobile characters who can get around well, and he feels heavy and clunky to me. Out of the three, I'd def go Catwoman, and, assuming they dont kill what I like about her (speed, neutral dominance, solid damage) I'll revisit her after the nerfs for sure.

After the recommendations here I took WoWo into the lab a little and just goofed off to get a feel for her movement and strings and such.. and I dont think shes for me.

So it looks like we have BB and Canary. Like I said, I play a little Canary already. I might dive in to BB some today and see what he's really about. I never took the time to mess with him before.. but I like that hes apparently a very safe character. Im batshit stupid at the best of times, and characters that help me not get blown to peices for it are nice./