What's new

General/Other So trident rush ehhhh?

Does Trident rush make aquaman?

• Total voters
He would *definitely* drop a peg or two in the tier lists but I agree with gamer blake that he has too many tools to be worthless without it. That being said....If I had the opportunity to take a crack at a rebalance patch I might not be so zealous to completely remove the move from the game and would try to reach a compromise with AM players. I would:

-Reduce the amount of damage on hit by a third or so and a little under half on chip. This is on principle as I don't thinks this is even the biggest problem, but I find it unjustifiable that Aquaman can D1 special cancel into a move that does as much damage as a full BNB from my character. Let's say somewhere around 20% damage on hit and 7.5 % damage on chip.

-Nerf the amount of meter it builds to almost nothing. This is the bigger problem with the move right now IMO. Remember, Aquaman builds 3/4 of a bar of meter on chip, and even if you pushblock him it's just playing into his hands in the meta game. You should not be able to burn meter to build it right back.

The result of these changes is that, assuming you have 5 bars to spend, you can do 5 MB trident rushes for 37.5% chip.

For context, as it stands assuming you have 5 bars to spend, you can do 12 MB trident rushes for 180% chip.

Of course this is all a pipe dream since NRS probably isn't doing any major patching anytime soon.

Phased

Noob
he`d still be good obviously. look at the matchups where trident rush is obsolete because it can be punished (flash, superman, GL to a degree)aquaman does well, or atleast somewhat decent vs these characters.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Sometimes we think in terms of MK characters. People have tried to compare Zod and Sinestro to Kenshi in ways. Personally, I think AM is closer to being the kenshi of the game. With his dominance of the characters, and a few hard matchups.

Aquaman doesnt win ANY mu because of Trident Rush....

Trident Rush - 15% chip on block + 65% of meter re-gained.

FTD - Safe from range vs 99% of the cast, full screen, tracking, anti-zoning, anti-airing, launcher.

Which of these 2 moves sounds more "broke"?

Aquaman would not lose any additional mu's if Trident Rush was adjusted to do less chip. Some of his winning mu's may become even, but not losing. Without FTD Aquaman would now lose to Zod, Sinestro, Cyborg, Green lantern, Zatana, Bane, Grundy, Harley, Nightwing, Killer Frost.

Trident Rush is the best close out move in the game. If your opponent has 30% life left and you have 1.5 bars of meter, you can end the life bar without actually landing a hit. It is one of the best moves in the game. However, Trident Rush is possible vs powerful zoning/keep out characters because they cant sit full screen and play keep away all game due to FTD. Try fighting Cyborg WITHOUT using FTD and see how many Trident Rushes you get off.

In short, I use Trident Rush a lot currently. It is one of the best moves in the game. However, dont mistake one of the best moves in the game (Trident Rush) for a bullshit move, FTD has that area covered.

Last edited:
Aquaman doesnt win ANY mu because of Trident Rush....

Trident Rush - 15% chip on block + 65% of meter re-gained.

FTD - Safe from range vs 99% of the cast, full screen, tracking, anti-zoning, anti-airing, launcher.

Which of these 2 moves sounds more "broke"?

Aquaman would not lose any additional mu's if Trident Rush was adjusted to do less chip. Some of his winning mu's may become even, but not losing. Without FTD Aquaman would now lose to Zod, Sinestro, Cyborg, Green lantern, Zatana, Bane, Grundy, Harley, Nightwing.

Trident Rush is the best close out move in the game. It is the ultimate fuck you finisher. Trident Rush is possible vs characters like Sinestro, etc because they cant sit full screen and play keep away all game due to FTD. FTD frees up Trident Rush. Try fighting Cyborg WITHOUT using FTD and see how many Trident Rushes you get off.

In short, I use Trident Rush a lot currently. It is one of the best moves in the game. However, dont mistake one of the best moves in the game (Trident Rush) for a bullshit move, FTD has that area covered.
I like this, very good explanation good sir. Good luck at civil war!