What's new

so this is the new mk movie?

I am the only one that is really dissapointed by this? That footage isn't mortal kombat in my eyes.....they are trying to do what resident evil did and pick familiar bits from a game but i doubt it will be enough like it for it to warrant the name Mortal Kombat.
I don't think the film looks bad but in terms of Mortal Kombat I think it sucks hard.

In a mortal kombat film I want fuckin ninja costumes, gore and a fighting contest....its not hard.

GoldenOreos

Arcade Tech
IceyTruth said:
I am the only one that is really dissapointed by this? That footage isn't mortal kombat in my eyes.....they are trying to do what resident evil did and pick familiar bits from a game but i doubt it will be enough like it for it to warrant the name Mortal Kombat.
I don't think the film looks bad but in terms of Mortal Kombat I think it sucks hard.

In a mortal kombat film I want fuckin ninja costumes, gore and a fighting contest....its not hard.
this

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
Shaney said:
Hope this actually goes through, MK needs something like this. I'd be disappointed if this was just for the game that will more than likely be a disappointment and/or failure like the past few have been. I'm loving that darker look it has, too.
This.

To the disappointed people: Why do you think the first two films did so bad? The saying goes "if it isn't broken, don't fix it..." The first two movies were so bad, they probably remain as rock bottom making ANYTHING an improvement. A step in a radical direction is what this is, and it looks like it would be successful. I am usually very much a purist and enjoy authentic details but this looks like it would be a nice change for my taste. That is if it actually happens.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
ScheissNussen said:
^The reason the first one wasn't good was because it was a budget film, not because of the plot. If they made the entire movie like they used to make commercials for the games, it would have been unforgettable. Regardless if it stuck very closely to the game storyline or not.

Wow. You used the word unforgettable. lol

Dreamcatcher said:
This.

To the disappointed people: Why do you think the first two films did so bad? The saying goes "if it isn't broken, don't fix it..." The first two movies were so bad, they probably remain as rock bottom making ANYTHING an improvement. A step in a radical direction is what this is, and it looks like it would be successful. I am usually very much a purist and enjoy authentic details but this looks like it would be a nice change for my taste. That is if it actually happens.
I don't really think that MK translates that well into a "real life" setting like they have done. I don't see how you can have some dude with dreds and say "yea this is baraka", same with scorpion a dude with a bloody hookshot from zelda and white eyes (that does not make him scorp).

I was a bit confused how they went for a "realistic" approach but when watching the fight scene you have baraka jumping off walls and running around like an animal. I didn't realise being a nutty doctor that has attached blades to your arms also grants the ability of agility and pretty much super leaps.

As I said I don't think the film looks bad...I just reckon it should go under a different name, rather than being an amazingly loose translation of the games just to get MK fans to go see the film (and promote the MK name for games again aswell).

problem is they tried that twice before and the result was 2 of the worst movies ever made. this actually looks like it could have a story that is worth following in the movie medium. direct game=movie translations are always horribly unwatchable

Vassago187 said:
problem is they tried that twice before and the result was 2 of the worst movies ever made. this actually looks like it could have a story that is worth following in the movie medium. direct game=movie translations are always horribly unwatchable
Twice before they created films that were aimed at suckering in a bunch of 12 years olds, slap an R rating on there and it would of made at least the 1st movie completely different imo.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
First MK movie rocked...easily one of the best video game movies....compared to the crap the second movie was and SF films put together...

I like this pitch but honestly, they should if WB shows interest STAY true to the damn storyline...I love the darkness, grittyness of the game in movie form here but Reptile a messed up human baby? no...lol Scorpion was on target, japanese assassin/ninja with white eyes etc....Sub looked cool.

I won't mind if this gets the green light something similar just keep the characters backgrounds accurate....but seriously, this little short was better then both SF movies and MKA combined...to think differently is madness.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
Batman Batman Batman. Look how those movies changed after the much needed dark makeover. Remember when everyone said "that's not the Joker"?

I agree that it's a huge stretch with some things, like no Outworld and "serial killer" characters. And yes, they opened with an amusing Reptile story only to be overshadowed by a completely unbelievable Baraka one.

X820

Noob
I thought it was good tbh, not sure about some nose pierced jamaican baraka, but the overall feel of it was awesome.

Mortal kombat is supposed to be dark not some power ranger remake if you ask me.

But I agree, a bit more true to the game would be cool, as long as they stop throwing in catchphrases like 'fatality' and 'finish him' LOL

I feel a bit better about it now that the director has mentioned about the mysticism of the film and how if he created a complete movie then there would be alot more of it just in a tasteful way. It made it sound like it was due to budget restraints and the fact it was just a short that it was limited in mysticism.

NoDoubt

nasty
Sick interview, things sound way better now. I was definitely on the worried end here too as far as the execution of the Mortal Kombat world and translating the game into what makes it so culturally recognizable. Im real glad he's not taking his prologue 100% straight through the movie and just testing out and pitching ideas of an excellent, well-grounded foundation to what will lead into the reinforcement of fantasy and reality.

Like a lot of other fans, I couldn't help but revert back to the original movie in 95, which may be somewhat underrated, but had excellent elements in the film that I thought this director should pay attention to and try to use some of those ideas. The 2nd film was obviously junk, but again, Mortal Kombat needs that mystical balance. I think his plan to connect both worlds like in the 1st film with boarding the ship...and going all crazy, is a great strategy in following a good set example.

Im assuming Baraka will eventually shave his head and Reptile will put on the mask and ninja costume once the tournament begins. Im liking this shit a lot now that I read this.

The ONLY concern I got now is if this thing will actually be made. He already has the support of fans and its pretty damn positive but did he mention anything about moving on with it legally and having a whole crew in development? I really think he'd do this movie justice. Not to mention...people who work in the choreography world of dance excel in martial arts choreography because its very similar. I cant wait.