What's new

So now that EVO 2014 is over, should MK9 make a comeback?

Should MK9 make a comeback?

• No. I've achieved all I needed to in MK9. Nothing left to prove.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
First of all, I know that Injustice vs MK9 debates are not at all welcomed in this site, and my intention is not to have this derailed into a flame war, so I hope everyone keeps it civil.

Secondly, I want to give shoutouts/props to @AK Pig Of The Hut and @G4S Claude VonStroke for organizing that MK9 side tournament at EVO, which proved there's still interest and love for the game.

With that out of the way, now that EVO 2014 has ended and MKX is around the corner, I want genuine answers to these questions:
- Would you prefer MK9 to make a comeback in majors as the main NRS game, or do you want Injustice to remain as such?
- Which game would you prefer emphasizing your "training time" on?
- If you hate Injustice, would you actually travel to majors if MK9 were to be featured as the main game again (speaking to retired MK9 players and online ones here)?
- Would Injustice tournament players who never got into MK9 be willing to learn and give it a shot?

TylorJockin

You don't impress me.
There's no way anyone can say that they don't want to play MK9 anymore, EVO2k14's tourney was such hype and refined our love for the game. HOWEVER, I do not think that players will want to spend money to travel to tournaments for this game again due to the lack of large numbers and big money.

If player have the reason to go for INJ, might as well play MK9 as well! But the truth is that the NRS community likes to give games their undivided attention, and there s no room for MK9 on their agenda's.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
There's no way anyone can say that they don't want to play MK9 anymore, EVO2k14's tourney was such hype and refined our love for the game. HOWEVER, I do not think that players will want to spend money to travel to tournaments for this game again due to the lack of large numbers and big money.

If player have the reason to go for INJ, might as well play MK9 as well! But the truth is that the NRS community likes to give games their undivided attention, and there s no room for MK9 on their agenda's.
Kinda Ironic, since TYM is basically the HUB of MK somewhat. If ppl are still rivls with other forums like TRMK etc.

I still play MK all the time--not sure why people dropped it in the first place. Game is very fun to play, fast paced, and exciting. I'll be playing it along side Ultra until MKX drops.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
It's cool that the stream and TYM monsters love these MK side tournaments but the reality is the majority of MK tournament players don't seem interested in training for MK as their main game. It's just not going to happen. The MK side tournament at EVO didn't change that. I am not just speaking for myself, pretty much everyone I talked to, some of the best MK players in the world, just entered for fun and didn't practice and didn't express interest in doing so again after this. It's not a blowup or something to be emo about. The game is years old and it's the natural order of things. Personally I'll continue to play when it's at a major but I'm still more interested in Injustice since it's the newer game.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
It's cool that the stream and TYM monsters love these MK side tournaments but the reality is the majority of MK tournament players don't seem interested in training for MK as their main game. It's just not going to happen. The MK side tournament at EVO didn't change that. I am not just speaking for myself, pretty much everyone I talked to, some of the best MK players in the world, just entered for fun and didn't practice and didn't express interest in doing so again after this. It's not a blowup or something to be emo about. The game is years old and it's the natural order of things. Personally I'll continue to play when it's at a major but I'm still more interested in Injustice since it's the newer game.
One one thing I agree, but games like SFIV came out before MK9 and UMvC3 came out the same yr as MK9 and those games are still being played. Idk why ppl dont have the same spark as the Capcom/Marvel community as the NRS community playing MK9 again since its only 3yrs old.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
One one thing I agree, but games like SFIV came out before MK9 and UMvC3 came out the same yr as MK9 and those games are still being played. Idk why ppl dont have the same spark as the Capcom/Marvel community as the NRS community playing MK9 again since its only 3yrs old.

I can only speak for myself. It's not it's balance or anything like that. I just have more fun practicing and grinding Injustice. There's more matchups to learn and it's more rewarding. What exactly am I going to gain from playing MK as my main game? Dizzy and I play Cage vs. Kitana for eternity? I mean I guess there's some things I could get sharper on but there's serious diminishing returns. I'll just keep it real. I haven't practiced MK since EVO 2013 but I still body almost everyone. I haven't failed to place top 8 in literally 2 years now. I don't see much advantage in playing MK as my main game.

Mst

Noob
SF4 had like 3 new versions since release + the AE balance patch. Street Fighter gets alot of ppl back playing or new ppl in when it gets a new version. AE had like 1,6k ppl at EVO in 2013 if i remember right and this year around 2k. But i agree would be cool to keep other NRS games alive as side events or whatever at tournaments and not dropping a game simple because a developer brings a new game which isnt a direct sequel to the previous game (Street Fighter and MvC as example)

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow

Capcom has strong international support and a larger American community.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
SF4 had like 3 new versions since release + the AE balance patch. Street Fighter gets alot of ppl back playing or new ppl in when it gets a new version. AE had like 1,6k ppl at EVO in 2013 if i remember right and this year around 2k. But i agree would be cool to keep other NRS games alive as side events or whatever at tournaments.
Yeah, I got SFIV AE thought it was gonna be the last of the SFIV seris and then when Ultra came out I was like really? smh another way Capcom makes cash is adding characters from games they already came out SFXT and just basically putting it in the old one. Sure they had added alot of new balances and new things like the "Red Focus" and another type of Super Special If I remember correctly, if they would have had those in teh first game they wouldnt have pissed alot of ppl off. But Im not hating on SF b/c I like SF as well.

Mst

Noob
Yeah, I got SFIV AE thought it was gonna be the last of the SFIV seris and then when Ultra came out I was like really? smh another way Capcom makes cash is adding characters from games they already came out SFXT and just basically putting it in the old one. Sure they had added alot of new balances and new things like the "Red Focus" and another type of Super Special If I remember correctly, if they would have had those in teh first game they wouldnt have pissed alot of ppl off. But Im not hating on SF b/c I like SF as well.
Releasing a new version of a game is a way to may easy money, while giving the players something fresh. Its just a different business model some Developer release their game F2P and release content afterwards which ppl have to buy and their time of support depends how well this sales (DLCs), some release their game make small adjustments and some release every XX months a new version which adds content/bugfixes/potential balance changes. I honestly would rather pay every 12-16 months 20 bucks for a new version of a game i like than getting only support for a limited time.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
Releasing a new version of a game is a way to may easy money, while giving the players something fresh. Its just a different business model some Developer release their game F2P and release content afterwards which ppl have to buy and their time of support depends how well this sales (DLCs), some release their game make small adjustments and some release every XX months a new version which adds content/bugfixes/potential balance changes. I honestly would rather pay every 12-16 months 20 bucks for a new version of a game i like than getting only support for a limited time.
From a business standpoint I agree, NRS did it only once they came out wth the orignal MK9 in 2011 which I did buy and when they announced MK Komplete Edition I bought that as well and since I didnt want to buy all that DLC character's costumes etc. which when the price I did buy it was $20 which was not bad. Which didnt really Irritate me at all, I think thats what KI is doing right now with "seasons" in their game and having a set characters released in a certain time frame, before actually releasing the actual full game in retail.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
It would be fun even if its starts to appear as side tournament tho

It is. I've entered like 10 MK9 tournaments since MK9 "died" at EVO 2013.

I am not sure what the point of these calls for the return of the glory days are. They're hollow. Most of the people shouting for it don't do what is actually necessary...enter MK9 tournaments. If there's genuine interest in MK9 being a main game then people will enter and new blood will level up to challenge the old guard who are complacent. So far that doesn't happen.

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
I thought it was the other way around...
As far as commercial sales yeah, but we're talking in the more narrow scope of a competitve community and the numbers don't lie. Although he worded it a little strangley since it has a bigger (competitive) base in almost all regions.

And if MK released "expansions" instead of single chracter dlc it would probably keep the game fresh longer but that isn't their buisness model and it isn't the only reason sf still gets like 2k entrants.

16 bit is dead on, these topics are hollow and nothing but divisive. You have an upgraded version of MK coming out soon that will definitely be played, in the meantime top players can still figure out and get better at injustice.

Also lets be real real here, even if players were willing to put the time into both games, I find it hard to believe that TOs or sponsors not NRS will give 2 nrs game a good amount of stream time or attention that the big two capcom games have so it really is diminshing returns especially since the payout for injustice which is the main nrs game was like 2k dollars.

Last edited:

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
We're talking strictly FGC wise, I don't know why it'd be taken as a sales figure thing. Sorry I didn't specify the FGC.