What's new

So it has been brought to my attention...

Do you think we are fair in regulating people like children?

• Yes!

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • God no...I mean yes!

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
why does making money determine whether you are a pro or not. football and basket ball are just games too
You and Karried have no idea what professional means. Professional comes from profession, which means career. I.e something you make money at. No careers require you to pay to work every day.

These guys are just talented fg players. Very few of them have gaming as a career. Most have a real job or profession. I respect the hard work they put into it. I'm just saying that technically speaking, they are not pros.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
More reputable in what sense?

You cannot say that giving the elite players the consensus to shut down any new tech that even THEY may not understand until they fully test it is a good thing for this community.

I have actually been pretty well recieved for my contributions, but we have to tolerate and be open to new players exploring. Even if their tactic isn't good at high level play, they will learn that the hard way. There is no reason to get into a back and forth with them about that. Simple social skills can avoid most of those altercations while still fostering creativity and growth in our community.

You and Karried have no idea what professional means. Professional comes from profession, which means career. I.e something you make money at. No careers require you to pay to work every day.

These guys are just talented fg players. Very few of them have gaming as a career. Most have a real job or profession. I respect the hard work they put into it. I'm just saying that technically speaking, they are not pros.
poker players have to buy in, but the pros live on around 600k a year. that only requires you to be on the money 3 times without winning. if you're in the money 3 times in MK without winning good luck if you get $1000. that's why it's not a profession; the scale is different.

Never dubbed them brah, as "Pros", I'm strictly talking about achieving mastery in a person's field, that can include anything. So you should stop using the word "Pro". No one calls them pros except just random people, that don't know any better.

You're gungho on trying to devalue it, you didn't realize what I wrote.

Also speaking in terms of individuals who have achieved a high level of play and understand their domain and can prove it, as opposed to your Average Joe, that's what I mean Chance. -.-.

HOWEVER, we are trying to get to that point. Putting down the idea of being professional gamers through fighting games doesn't exactly help.
To get to that point, though, putting down the idea of buying in the way we do is fine. To truly be a professional activity the venue fee has to be a thing of the past, tournaments have to start making business partnerships, and provide enhanced experiences that spectators can buy into. In order to be esports we have to treat this like a business. basically everything that Triforce has been saying on OBS is true.

Zoidberg747

Never dubbed them brah, as "Pros", I'm strictly talking about achieving mastery in a person's field, that can include anything. So you should stop using the word "Pro". No one calls them pros except just random people, that don't know any better.

Also speaking in terms of individuals who have achieved a high level of play and understand their domain and can prove it, as opposed to your Average Joe, that's what I mean Chance. -.-.
Then we are saying the same thing lol. You can achieve mastery in anything. Being a professional means it is your job. Just trying to clarify the difference

9_Lives

Noob
I personally hope the problems people have with the mods and vice-versa get cleared up soon. This being my first fighting game and the first forum I've been on, I don't honestly know how to create a compromise that works for everyone, but I bet there is one here somewhere.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta

This is what starts the fights

Someone "reputable" might see the actual worth of tech an quickly try to dismiss it to keep it away. Does that still make them reputable? If every average joe refutes it....... do we listen?

I've had this happen to me...... i posted tech....... "Reputable" people disputed the hell out of it..... it was buried.
I still do my tech and it works, as do others.

This is what starts the fights

Someone "reputable" might see the actual worth of tech an quickly try to dismiss it to keep it away. Does that still make them reputable? If every average joe refutes it....... do we listen?

I've had this happen to me...... i posted tech....... "Reputable" people disputed the hell out of it..... it was buried.
I still do my tech and it works, as do others.
Same here. that's why i dont tell people anymore, if you want my tech you can see it in tournament, lol. Especially true for lao mains -__-

u get what we mean though. its almost the same thing. the only thing missing is the money

Momentum

Proud owner of the briefcase hitbox
This site isn't moderated strictly at all in comparison to some other communities.
I used to be part of the Starcraft community and TeamLiquid (the main community site) almost felt like a concentration camp compared to TYM.

When I started coming here I was amazed that the best players could get blown up and there would be no consequences.
What makes the fighting game community so enjoyable to be a part of is that, compared to other gaming communities, our members have character.
Characters aren't made through the style of our play or the quality of our interviews. Players form opinions of other players through their posts on the forums. This removes the trepidation of actually conversing with people at an offline event, which fighting games have many more than any other game type.
The fact that people can make threads where other members of the community challenge their opinions without fear of the banhammer is integral to any FGC.

and the respect... and humility and giving back and constant exposure.

They are nothing alike. The only similarity is that they are considered the "highest level" of their trade.

Your comparison is awful.... just accept it.
mk, football, basketball are all games. when i say pro i mean someone who is better than most at the game. a very high level player

lol, when they start hosting musical chair tournaments, i'll consider you a pro if you win or place well
there's high level speech and debate tournaments. are they pros? Noone in debate thinks so, but by your standard, even though they dont get any money, they are.

there's high level speech and debate tournaments. are they pros? Noone in debate thinks so, but by your standard, even though they dont get any money, they are.
first of all. you get my point, idk why i have to keep arguing it. and my friend, she has placed well in those tournaments and no i dont think she would call herself a pro, but if someone went to these tournaments and constantly placed well i guess id consider them a pro debater. but im not sure how those tournaments work so idk.

Justice

Noob
I still think the mods are too soft. But I'm an Asshole :p and I've had to be put in my place a time or two myself for being a little too heavy-handed and reactionary.

One thing I did want to comment on was that I didn't really see what some people were talking about in the inconsistancy in modding. I hadn't ever noticed it until I posted a thread I probably shouldn't have. When I posted that thread about Tom Brady and it was closed pretty quickly (not denying or arguing that it shouldn't have been, I even thanked Ribbz in PM for doing so) there was another thread posted at the same time that was similar in that it was a forum member posting on behalf of a top player who had "quit". My thread was locked pretty quickly (again no arguments) but the other thread wasn't ever closed to my knowledge. It's a little hard to not take things like that personally. I know at the end of the day, judgements are what they are, but that was a little hard for me to ignore.

Not trying to sound butthurt over it or anything, but I just wanted to put that out there as an example of why I think the mods aren't harsh enough across the board.

first of all. you get my point, idk why i have to keep arguing it. and my friend, she has placed well in those tournaments and no i dont think she would call herself a pro, but if someone went to these tournaments and constantly placed well i guess id consider them a pro debater. but im not sure how those tournaments work so idk.
You're simply wrong though. as @zoidberg said, a professional by definition must do something as their PROFESSION. I can be the best sleeper in the world but if i dont do it for cash then i'm not a professional. Furthermore, if the best MK player makes at most 55K then he may be a professional, but that would mean that he is the only one. there are ZERO players other than REO who are even close to being anywhere in consideration of what it means to be a pro. But even REO probably doesnt make enough for that consideration once expenses, taxes, etc are factored in. You should stop arguing this because you are wrong on all counts. I have given you two counterexamples that fit your constantly changing criteria and you still refuse to understand that a professional is more than someone who is good at something. Any further argument is now unnecessary and will only prove to show that you are unreasonable and someone whose input is not worth entertaining at all. good day

Zoidberg747

You're simply wrong though. as @zoidberg said, a professional by definition must do something as their PROFESSION. I can be the best sleeper in the world but if i dont do it for cash then i'm not a professional. Furthermore, if the best MK player makes at most 55K then he may be a professional, but that would mean that he is the only one. there are ZERO players other than REO who are even close to being anywhere in consideration of what it means to be a pro. But even REO probably doesnt make enough for that consideration once expenses, taxes, etc are factored in. You should stop arguing this because you are wrong on all counts. I have given you two counterexamples that fit your constantly changing criteria and you still refuse to understand that a professional is more than someone who is good at something. Any further argument is now unnecessary and will only prove to show that you are unreasonable and someone whose input is not worth entertaining at all. good day
You also are not technically a professional of it is not your job. No one in the mk community comes close to making enough money to sustain themselves, which is why most mk players are either in school or have a true career that they live off of.