What's new

Tech Smoke's Jump Kick~telepunch Option Select

On any deep jump kick, instead of inputting just the kick, input db34. You will still do your kick as normal; db3 does nothing in the air with smoke other than jump kick. If the jk is blocked, the 4 is ignored and telepunch doesn't come out, and you're still at advantage from your djk. If the jk hits, telepunch comes out for 15% combo midscreen, and 30%+ in the corner.

I'm attaching a video below... watch my inputs if my description above is confusing. IMO this is an excellent option in the corner, however midscreen I recommend not using option select at all since on hit you want to combo off that djk anyways.

To reiterate, this is only useful in the corner. This is not useful midscreen.

Excuse the Parkinson's cam, Youtube is still processing and should have that all fixed up in the morning.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Hmmm, this tech feels a little difficult to wrap my mind around, but clearly it has its merits. Nice work FrothyOmen - I'll mess around with this tomorrow evening.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Its kind of cool for "hey thats interesting" factor.

But for practical use there is no reason to not hit confirm deep JK into d1 smoke bomb for a 30% combo or reset, and if its blocked you can see it is and still do whatever you want.

Its kind of cool for "hey thats interesting" factor.

But for practical use there is no reason to not hit confirm deep JK into d1 smoke bomb for a 30% combo or reset, and if its blocked you can see it is and still do whatever you want.
Right, which is why I said this isn't all that good midscreen. I'd go so far as to say that this is almost essential in the corner. Smoke's not going to be getting many DJKs, but when he does there is no reason to not use this tech. The only way to get more damage is a djk into 214, but that requires specific timing and spacing. This only loses 1 or 2% damage and is viable from a much wider variety of distances.

When I played HAN yesterday, I used (and landed) a single DJK on him in the corner. And when I did, I used this tech and it worked for a full combo :)

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
At whatever point you manage to get a deep jump kick into the corner, this is ALMOST useful, but you can stil hit confirm into D1xSB in the corner, so still not really worth putting thought into.

At whatever point you manage to get a deep jump kick into the corner, this is ALMOST useful, but you can stil hit confirm into D1xSB in the corner, so still not really worth putting thought into.
Why hitconfirm if you can use this tech and not have to hitconfirm at all? That's the whole point of option selects, to either A. Cover many of your opponent's options with a single motion or B. eliminate the necessity of reads/hitconfirms. You aren't even losing damage.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Why hitconfirm if you can use this tech and not have to hitconfirm at all? That's the whole point of option selects, to either A. Cover many of your opponent's options with a single motion or B. eliminate the necessity of reads/hitconfirms. You aren't even losing damage.
But you can hitconfirm into d1 easily, its not like its challenging to do that you would need to option select, and if your options are A) Try to hitconfirm d1 into reset and fail once or twice or B) Dont try, hitconfirm 15% every time........ you see what im getting at?

Learn to do things that you are bad at, dont find shortcuts all the time, its part of the game!

Edit : suppose yo udont lose damage in the corner, still a bit awkward though to get a jump kick into the corner!

But you can hitconfirm into d1 easily, its not like its challenging to do that you would need to option select, and if your options are A) Try to hitconfirm d1 into reset and fail once or twice or B) Dont try, hitconfirm 15% every time........ you see what im getting at?

Learn to do things that you are bad at, dont find shortcuts all the time, its part of the game!
No, I'm talking about in the corner. I would never use this midscreen. I just did it midscreen to show the inputs and push the dummy into the corner :\