What's new

General/Other Smoke Trick

Hey guys, I worked on a trick with smoke and tested it out against human players and it works. What it is if any time you do a combo ending in a jump kick-air throw, whiff a teleport. This reverses their controls. What I normally do is after the whiffed teleport I sweep them. This trains them to block low. Eventually, they catch on and block low after a whiffed teleport. Now after a whiffed teleport you can B23-smoke bomb them. Normally I follow up with a 3d12-jump kick-air throw and it resets the situation. My bnb is 3d12-3d12-jump kick air throw. These two combined are 62%. Not too bad. Not sure if this has already been discovered and spread but I thought I'd post it anyway. Let me know what you think.

Altsa

To be honest, this is what every Smoke player has been doing for months. You mix it up with sweep, throw and b+2. If you quess they do a wakeup attack you block it and punish it.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
This has been known for a while, you can also end your combos with 214, smoke port forward to mix them up a little bit if the teleport trick starts getting predictable.

Saint Connor

Team F.Y.F.
I'm actually pretty sure Aris was doing this since PDP, was he not? Either way, this isn't a "new trick" by any means.

Well damn, I'm new to smoke so I'm sorry if this has been known for a while. It seemed to work very well online and against my friends and I had not heard anything about until I "discovered" it. Carry on then.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
On the front page there's a video where Tom Brady explains exactly how the wake-up system works, since no one was really sure what was going on with it until now.

This is crucial info for us Smoke players. The way I understand it is after a whiffed TP on wake-up it becomes IMPOSSIBLE to execute a true invincible wake-up attack. This means that after a whiffed Tpunch you can almost always go for a meaty 3d12 with little fear that you will be hit with a wake-up attempt.

Altsa

On the front page there's a video where Tom Brady explains exactly how the wake-up system works, since no one was really sure what was going on with it until now.

This is crucial info for us Smoke players. The way I understand it is after a whiffed TP on wake-up it becomes IMPOSSIBLE to execute a true invincible wake-up attack. This means that after a whiffed Tpunch you can almost always go for a meaty 3d12 with little fear that you will be hit with a wake-up attempt.
This is very interesting..I´ll test this next time I play.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
I'm starting to think that (if you have flawless execution of the whiffed tpunch) after jkick/airthrow > whiffed tp 3d12 is totally guaranteed and they have to block or get stuffed. I've been much more aggressive with it after Tom Brady's breakdown of the wake up system and with great results.

It definitely stuffs Ermac's teleslam every time and that move is fast as shit, like, 11 frames? It's possible that spin or dash could beat it but I'm thinking that standing 3 will almost always connect inside the forced vulnerable period between the two invincibility wake-up due to the un-techable knockdown > cross up (whiffed tpunch)

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
I've also been having a little play about with this , and after jk airthrow > Whiffed tele you can very safely go into 3d12 and unless your opponent is using a very fast wake up (spin/dash maybe) it will connect with them, forcing them to hold block. However i think there is a very close range of frames in which the wake up can still activate invincibly, but its going to be a while before people are able to find that frame every time, so its usually just lucky for this to happen.

Dont want to make any solid assumptions on this being safe enough now to be worked into gameplay, but right now im adapting this to the way i play because pressuring with smokes oki just became alot stronger!

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
I've also been having a little play about with this , and after jk airthrow > Whiffed tele you can very safely go into 3d12 and unless your opponent is using a very fast wake up (spin/dash maybe) it will connect with them, forcing them to hold block. However i think there is a very close range of frames in which the wake up can still activate invincibly, but its going to be a while before people are able to find that frame every time, so its usually just lucky for this to happen.

Dont want to make any solid assumptions on this being safe enough now to be worked into gameplay, but right now im adapting this to the way i play because pressuring with smokes oki just became alot stronger!
I'm reasonably convinced that after a jkick/airthrow > whiffed tpunch all wakeup attacks lose their invincibility. I will test this on hat spin later tonight (if it beats hat spin it can beat everything). If someone wants to go ahead and get started before then, by all means do so.

arydious

Noob
I'm reasonably convinced that after a jkick/airthrow > whiffed tpunch all wakeup attacks lose their invincibility. I will test this on hat spin later tonight (if it beats hat spin it can beat everything). If someone wants to go ahead and get started before then, by all means do so.
If i can get someone else to test it with me today ill test, if not ill be patiently waiting to hear the results.

If it does beat out spin then this is huge for Smoke players. It's already very good that Smoke can pretty much eliminate wakeups if you end every combo with a jk airthrow.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
I found that many fast wake ups beat out 3d12 after airthrow > tpunch whiff :(

Including:

-spin
-superman
-reptile dash
-ermac's teleslam
-nightwolf's shoulder charge

However, if they are executed improperly or your opponent commits to block you will win. It's a gamble. Depends on what they know and how well they execute. I bet that online it can be pretty lag tier stuff for those of you who play Smoke online.

But, in testing this, I did demonstrate the d1 is completely inescapable after a blocked 3d12 so there is no more doubt about that (if there was any). It's cool because if they try to jump away/cross up you can hit them with the d1 > d1 xx smoke bomb punish.

arydious

Noob
I found that many fast wake ups beat out 3d12 after airthrow > tpunch whiff :(

Including:

-spin
-superman
-reptile dash
-ermac's teleslam
-nightwolf's shoulder charge

However, if they are executed improperly or your opponent commits to block you will win. It's a gamble. Depends on what they know and how well they execute. I bet that online it can be pretty lag tier stuff for those of you who play Smoke online.

But, in testing this, I did demonstrate the d1 is completely inescapable after a blocked 3d12 so there is no more doubt about that (if there was any). It's cool because if they try to jump away/cross up you can hit them with the d1 > d1 xx smoke bomb punish.
THanks KT Smith NYC, for your diligent research. I wasn't able to keep people to test this with me. My buddies have switched to tekken on me because they are tired of losing to me haha. Slowly bringing them back, i just wish they would jump up their competitive edge a little more. Maybe one day i can catch you online and see how i stand up against your smoke.