What's new

Tech Smoke Screen Trap

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User

This is both a mid-screen and corner trap that alters the movements of your opponent. They must flip the inputs around in order to wake-up, and if they do not they will most likely be combo's once again. For example, if you wanted to wake up with Kabal's Nomad Dash (BF4) you would actually need to input the reverse (FB4) because Smoke is on the opposite side of you. It isn't very obvious either, so it will often catch them off-guard.

The actual specifics involves dashing under your opponent then doing a smoke away as they falling from a Smoke Ball launch. It can be at the end of the combo -as showcased in the video- or off a raw Smoke Ball. You remain in the same place but only go invisible temporarily because the animation of Smoke Away is actually glitched. The move slides on a 3D plane, moving into the depths of the stage / towards the screen.

Here is the mix-ups:

Set-Up 1: This was the first clip in the video, where i smoke towards (but actually move away) and a wall of Smoke fills the screen. Hence the name of the trap.

Set-Up 2: This shows a scenario in which your opponent is trying to wake-up normally without flipping their inputs, and they are stood up and combo'd once again.

You must delay the 3 then do a DF2 (Even you must flip your inputs)

Set-up 3: This shows a scenario in which your opponent knows to flip their direction in order to wake-up. Instead just back-dash through them reversing their inputs once more.

Set-Up 4/5: Shows the mid-screen version. You must dash block, dash again then Smoke away. The Smoke goes one way but you go in the opposite direction. From there you can dash and jip. Whether it is a cross over or not depends on when you do the Smoke Away. (once again this also fools their wake-ups and result in another blockstring after a combo)

Set-up 6/7: If the opponent is aware and tech rolls out you have enough frame advantage to get a Guaranteed throw. Only certain wake-ups and armored attacks can escape. Please note that the direction in which you must tap to tech roll changes almost randomly, making it hard for them to roll in the first place. Also, you can choose which side you want to grab them from as Detroit showed, so waking up is another challenge.

By looking at this Smoke basically throws their wake-ups out the window, and allows for another blockstring or possibly a throw after each combo. Waking up is risky as there is little reward. If Smoke guesses right he gets 12%-40% and if they guess right they get the damage of a wake-up. Either way it's a win for us Smoke players really.

This tech does very depending on the stage, some stages (such as Shang Tsung's Garden) does not work in one corner.

The tech was discovered by myself and @KN_DetroitBalln. Big ups to him for recording!!

I will try to explain each scenario and possibly make a video guide in the future once i have more time to experiment with this. I just discovered this last week so it's new to me too lol.

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User
If anybody needs more clarification just post and i'll clear things up. It's tough to explain through text :\

Honestly i'd love a video that breaks down all of the setups, how to do them, when smoke/the defender need to reverse their inputs, and optimal methods to escape this as a defender. Basically just fleshing it out from both sides. That'd be pretty rad.

I'll bring this to Seasons Beatings. Maybe I'll actually take a round off somebody this time, who knows!?

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User
I can handle all that over time, i can make a voice clip and just use the current video and explain. It may take awhile though. Honestly it's shitty to defend from, because even if you do guess right you don't do nearly as much damage as Smoke can. The best best is to just eat the follow up blockstring. Or try and armour your way out (and hope you guess right in which direction he is on)

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User
Sorry for DP but my edit isn't working...

The Throw set-up also breaks wake-ups such as nightwolfs shoulder, as you literally grab him right out of the animination.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
RM_xSMoKEx

can you confirm that this happens on both xbox and ps3 versions? also, is this komplete edition or regular?

EDIT: also, it's because of stuff like this that Smoke has the only direction-neutral command input string (3DOWN12)

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User
Even on reversed wake-ups such as Jax's superman or projectile, the projectile is much too slow. So even that doesn't save Jax :p (Just an example)

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User
Regular edition and as far as i know both consoles. I'm just toying with the move animation.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
I'm gonna have to wait until I get home to try and figure out how this works. It's that wacky.

Albo

Noob
You know what rhymes with smoke? Broke funnily enough:p just kidding:REO , Nice find though guys. He needs it.

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
RM_xSMoKEx Have you tried this on the OTHER corner? When you do it there, Smoke Away/Towards work oppositely to how they do on the right corner (the giant smoke screen occurs when you use Smoke Away instead of Towards, and using Smoke Towards causes you to smoke behind them). Also, you can do a full combo instead of just 3~Smoke Bomb. This leads me to believe that the inputs do not reverse when you use this tech on the left corner. Or am I wrong? I mean, it'll still trick them, as everything seems to work the same. =P

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User
The corners are stage dependant. For example Shang's Garden's right corner doesn't work. That the only one i've found to far.

Which map are you doing it on? Try dash blocking before, sometimes that works. Try doing the other direction (i guess in your case Smoke Towards)

Faded Dreams V

this is important

the corners on each stage are "different"... some are fucked and behave differently than others in my experience... pretty sure there was a thread about it a while back but I don't remember what it was called to search for it