What's new

Tech - Smoke SMOKE - Guaranteed 50/50 Vortex

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
Would just like to point out that backdashing between strings into Smoke Bomb, EX Smoke Bomb, and OH Teleport is also a meterless option if your character can't jump out, even in the corner.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
It's really crazy how there's not even one tournament match or stream footage from the past four months of any Smoke abusing this, lol.

Hoping we get to see some legit Smoke mixing at EVO next week.
Because Smoke players know the community hasn't bothered to check to see what's guaranteed and what's not, and some Smoke players might not even know what is/isn't either :rolleyes:
Further proof that common knowledge has to be posted by Sonic, Reo, Pig.
How? There are Smokes that know about this, even lots of non-Smokes who know about this, it's just those very few top players that actually get exposure using their pocket Smokes that happen to not use them. That could just be from forgetting though rather than choosing not to use it.

Noob
Alright this vortex is pretty neat, but there's something that for some reason I very rarely see mentioned at all.

Why does no one know that you can jump out of Smoke's 50/50 into smoke bomb?

Granted it doesn't automatically give you a combo on every character. Kung Jin can do an instant NJP for a full combo, but Quan and Raiden cannot. Mileena also can't get a meterless roll out in time, the roll and smoke bomb trade. However, pretty much every character at least is able to jump over Smoke, land a blocked JIP and get their own corner game started. Seeing how Smoke doesn't have any armor and only has EX-fade or his bad pokes as an option for getting out of pressure, it's hardly an advantageous situation for him.

So while for most characters Smoke's corner 50/50 is safe, they do get their own corner positioning and 50/50 attempt. Of course Smoke could use a bar off of his 50/50 to catch attempts at jumping out and there's a legitimate mind game there, but I really want to put this information out there because very few seem to actually know about it.

Edit: Sub-Zero can do a crossover JI1 to get a full combo punish off of it.
"Why does no one know that you can jump out of Smoke's 50/50 into smoke bomb?"

Because of conditioning. I can scare you into not going for a njp or crossover by doing B1D413 instead of B3 smoke-bomb or just check you with only a B1 or, if im feeling ballsy do B1 into DB4.

Same with his other strings like the most common one being F13 ~ smoke bomb. If I think you are going to armour out of F13~smoke I'll just stagger you with F1 or bait with F13.

btw im curious as to why not many smoke players use this guaranteed 50/50 as well. I've only seen @Darkskate69 use this. Everyone else does the 21 into vortex which is not really guaranteed.

Last edited:

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
"Why does no one know that you can jump out of Smoke's 50/50 into smoke bomb?"

Because of conditioning. I can scare you into not going for a njp or crossover by doing B1D413 instead of B3 smoke-bomb or just check you with only a B1 or, if im feeling ballsy do B1 into DB4.

Same with his other strings like the most common one being F13 ~ smoke bomb. If I think you are going to armour out of F13~smoke I'll just stagger you with F1 or bait with F13.

btw im curious as to why not many smoke players use this guaranteed 50/50 as well. I've only seen @Darkskate69 use this. Everyone else does the 21 into vortex which is not really guaranteed.
The mind games and conditioning you mention is a consequence of the opponent knowing about the fact that you can jump out of 50/50~Smoke bomb. I very rarely see the jump-out thing mentioned, so many people don't even get that far. First people have to know that you can even jump out of the smoke bomb before the conditioning really comes into play.

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
It's really crazy how there's not even one tournament match or stream footage from the past four months of any Smoke abusing this, lol.

Hoping we get to see some legit Smoke mixing at EVO next week.
*noted after watching vid*

Noob
my thoughts exactly. Stared at it for a while, trying to work out what string he actually meant to type. Couldn't get a handle on it. Declared myself unqualified to talk Smoke, left thread. Came back today for a second look.
I fixed it :DOGE