What's new

Match-up Discussion Skarlet Vs. Mileena

ryublaze

Noob
Hey I recorded these Skarlet vs. Mileena matches with ZeroEffect317 last night (very good games).

0:00 - RedRaptor10 (Skarlet) vs. ZeroEffect317 (Mileena)
2:55 - RedRaptor10 (Skarlet) vs. ZeroEffect317 (Mileena)
5:35 - RedRaptor10 (Skarlet) vs. ZeroEffect317 (Mileena)
8:41 - RedRaptor10 (Skarlet) vs. ZeroEffect317 (Mileena)
11:22 - RedRaptor10 (Skarlet) vs. ZeroEffect317 (Mileena)
14:12 - RedRaptor10 (Skarlet) vs. ZeroEffect317 (Mileena)
17:21 - RedRaptor10 (Skarlet) vs. ZeroEffect317 (Mileena)

Please note that it's just for matchup purpose and the small lag caused me to drop a bunch of combos. I chose these matches out of the 20 or so that we played.

So yeah I was really struggling against ZeroEffect's Mileena (which is probably the best Mileena I've ever played). I tried poking out with d1 several times but her d3/d4 pokes kept getting me. I think it's best to connect d1 into red dash slide instead of daggers. Going for a jump in against her d4 doesn't always work and usually catches me into one of her anti air combos. I had to use Enhanced Red Dash to get past her pressure. There was a lot of guessing going on after each knockdown. If I guessed wrong I would eat a ball roll into combo but if he guessed wrong he would eat a 42% punish.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
Damn man, your skarlet likes close game xD

You could jump kick tp 10 times everytime he went for a d4 to make him stop this lame shit ! ^^

Also, we can see you play man characters because you drop too many combot whereas you know them !

You should more practice reset with ex-slash. Your skarlet is quite different from Ninj's one. You make better lil harass in close fight using a lot the knifs where Ninj is better to anticipate where his opponent is going to block to do big combot resets.

gg ;)

ryublaze

Noob
Damn man, your skarlet likes close game xD

You could jump kick tp 10 times everytime he went for a d4 to make him stop this lame shit ! ^^

Also, we can see you play man characters because you drop too many combot whereas you know them !

You should more practice reset with ex-slash. Your skarlet is quite different from Ninj's one. You make better lil harass in close fight using a lot the knifs where Ninj is better to anticipate where his opponent is going to block to do big combot resets.

gg ;)
Thanks! I dropped a lot of combos because of lag though (still can't believe I couldn't do 2, 3, red dash 3 times in a row in one match lol). I didn't go for resets too much since I needed meter for armored red dash or breaker and I think it's better to end with 2, 3, red dash, red slide. There was one match where I caught him in a downslash reset twice in a row into corner combo but I didn't upload that. My Skarlet usually plays a lot differently than the one in the video though. Against other characters I'm free to move around and zone where need be.

EDIT: I didn't want to risk jump kick after d4 since jumping could catch me into a combo. I've gotten lucky a few times with jip into combo.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
~5:28 nice try on the EX air dagger finish.

What I'm noticing, at least against Mileena for you Raptor, is that you try to set up the F2,1,2,1+2 combo far too often under unsafe circumstances. That combo is quite powerful when you know you can catch them in a block string with it, however if someone knows what to do to get out of that combo, as this guy clearly does, you need to put it on the backburner.

Also, if you don't mind me continuing on with constructive criticism, the neutral jump down dagger that connects (not blocked) gives Skarlet, from what I can tell, at least neutral frame advantage, if not a couple frames of advantage - when you land, try doing a dash or half-dash into F4 into Red Dash to Downslash/:en Downslash/Red Slide - it hits low blockers.

Oh another thing - Skarlet is very good at taking poke-hits. What this Mileena is doing a LOT to you is doing a small leg poke and then doing a cross-over - if you took the pokes, or blocked one then attempted to do a NJP, you would be punishing that mentality with 30%+ resets every time.

Don't get me wrong - it's so much easier to criticize gameplay when in a completely objective state. I like your Skarlet - some of the things I see here I see you doing better than me vs Mileena. I wish I could play ZeroEffect. Maybe I can get JGuthrie on the recorder and see if I can do some Mileena-only matches.

Overall, nice job man - keep it up!

Oh, noticed another thing (still watching it) - Skarlet (purely in my opinion, but I'll stress it) needs to be careful with her aggressiveness with the Red Dash. Like for instance with this Mileena - many times you Red Slide only to try again and eat a wakeup Ball Roll. One example of being careful (or tricky as the case may be) with Skarlet is, in this situation, hitting ZeroEffect with a Red Slide, and then doing an :en Red Slide into Down Slash to absorb the Ball Roll and slam her with a full punish combo or a reset.

PS some awesome on-reaction :en Red Slide's to punish, like in the final match to win it!

ryublaze

Noob
~5:28 nice try on the EX air dagger finish.

What I'm noticing, at least against Mileena for you Raptor, is that you try to set up the F2,1,2,1+2 combo far too often under unsafe circumstances. That combo is quite powerful when you know you can catch them in a block string with it, however if someone knows what to do to get out of that combo, as this guy clearly does, you need to put it on the backburner.

Also, if you don't mind me continuing on with constructive criticism, the neutral jump down dagger that connects (not blocked) gives Skarlet, from what I can tell, at least neutral frame advantage, if not a couple frames of advantage - when you land, try doing a dash or half-dash into F4 into Red Dash to Downslash/:en Downslash/Red Slide - it hits low blockers.

Oh another thing - Skarlet is very good at taking poke-hits. What this Mileena is doing a LOT to you is doing a small leg poke and then doing a cross-over - if you took the pokes, or blocked one then attempted to do a NJP, you would be punishing that mentality with 30%+ resets every time.

Don't get me wrong - it's so much easier to criticize gameplay when in a completely objective state. I like your Skarlet - some of the things I see here I see you doing better than me vs Mileena. I wish I could play ZeroEffect. Maybe I can get JGuthrie on the recorder and see if I can do some Mileena-only matches.

Overall, nice job man - keep it up!

Oh, noticed another thing (still watching it) - Skarlet (purely in my opinion, but I'll stress it) needs to be careful with her aggressiveness with the Red Dash. Like for instance with this Mileena - many times you Red Slide only to try again and eat a wakeup Ball Roll. One example of being careful (or tricky as the case may be) with Skarlet is, in this situation, hitting ZeroEffect with a Red Slide, and then doing an :en Red Slide into Down Slash to absorb the Ball Roll and slam her with a full punish combo or a reset.

PS some awesome on-reaction :en Red Slide's to punish, like in the final match to win it!
Thanks a lot Ninj! Yeah I did notice that F2, 1, 2, 1+2 was being poked out of. I'll try to cut back on it and use some of her faster strings.

I usually dash forward and do 1, 1, 2 or 4 after a NJP down dagger but I'll start using B1, 1, 4 or F4.

I'll keep the NJP after low pokes in mind. I had no idea how to react to those without risking a jump lol. A couple times in the first few matches ZeroEffect would use an air sai after low pokes.

Thanks again. If there's one thing I learned in these matches, it's to never rush Mileena down after knockdown lol. :)

Cool, the vids are up. I'll look at them in a minute.

Just wanna say that despite what it must've looked like, I actually have very little anti-Skarlet knowledge. I was pretty much learning as we played. (Armor dash sucks, lol.)

Those blockstrings with EX knife cancels caught me by surprise. I just started throwing out D3 just in case he stopped attacking. Otherwise i don't know what you can do to get out without armor.

Anytime Skarlet has meter , my zoning and in close pressure are both risky. Mileena has the worst D1 in the game imo, so this basically gives Skarlet a speed advantage in pokes since hers strecthes pretty far out.

Close air knife was annoying since it punishes D4, but if I got real close to her before using it Mileena went under the dagger. If I was far enough out iAS would stop it as well.

EDIT: Oh also, Mileena u4 beats red dash slide clean. I managed to do it in a couple matches, don't know if it's on there or not.
All in all, I dunno who has the edge. It's hard to argue against full screen armor combo starters, but I know Mileena isn't easy to deal with either.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
EDIT: Oh also, Mileena u4 beats red dash slide clean. I managed to do it in a couple matches, don't know if it's on there or not.
All in all, I dunno who has the edge. It's hard to argue against full screen armor combo starters, but I know Mileena isn't easy to deal with either.
I'm going to have to test this...I don't understand how U4 beats :en Red Slide when it goes through most :en moves and normals.