What's new

Match-up Discussion Skarlet vs. Ermac

ryublaze

Noob

0:00 - RedRaptor10 (Skarlet) vs. Pittyfulme (Ermac)
2:48 - RedRaptor10 (Skarlet) vs. Pittyfulme (Ermac)
5:59 - RedRaptor10 (Skarlet) vs. Pittyfulme (Ermac)
8:46 - RedRaptor10 (Skarlet) vs. Pittyfulme (Ermac)
10:29 - RedRaptor10 (Skarlet) vs. Pittyfulme (Ermac)
11:46 - RedRaptor10 (Skarlet) vs. Pittyfulme (Ermac)
14:10 - RedRaptor10 (Skarlet) vs. Pittyfulme (Ermac)
16:17 - RedRaptor10 (Skarlet) vs. Pittyfulme (Ermac)
18:51 - RedRaptor10 (Skarlet) vs. Pittyfulme (Ermac)
20:58 - RedRaptor10 (Skarlet) vs. Pittyfulme (Ermac)
23:57 - RedRaptor10 (Skarlet) vs. Pittyfulme (Ermac)
26:57 - RedRaptor10 (Skarlet) vs. Pittyfulme (Ermac)
28:57 - RedRaptor10 (Skarlet) vs. Pittyfulme (Ermac)
31:40 - RedRaptor10 (Skarlet) vs. Pittyfulme (Ermac)
34:29 - RedRaptor10 (Skarlet) vs. Pittyfulme (Ermac)
37:05 - RedRaptor10 (Skarlet) vs. Pittyfulme (Ermac)

Note: This is mainly for matchup purposes. We were both dropping combos due to the lag so please bare with the horrible gameplay. Error / Pittyfulme and I are usually equal in skill and he knows the Skarlet matchup pretty well.

Lag makes a big difference in this matchup in my opinion. One whiff and I get full combo punished by Ermac's lift, and lag also affects if I can counter a projectile with teleport/EX Red Dash Up Slash. He can also lift you on reaction to Red Dash. I feel like I was using too much meter, oh yeah and I never blocked a teleport lol.

Error

DF2+R2
Hey hey hey, I wasn't dropping combos for fun either :oops:, hopefully we'll get to record matches again on a less laggy day, because we look so scrubby right in some of those fights flopping around after launchers.

ryublaze

Noob
Hey hey hey, I wasn't dropping combos for fun either :oops:, hopefully we'll get to record matches again on a less laggy day, because we look so scrubby right in some of those fights flopping around after launchers.
After watching this I think Skarlet's 2nd dagger can interrupt Ermac's Lift/Push. In the vid I've been doing 1 dagger than cancelling it.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
People need to understand that everything Skarlet does is punishable. Why ever block low? 8% for her slide? big deal. Especially if she uses a bar to simply do that.
I'm pretty sure Ermac can punish upslash/downslash/teleport with 3,1 lift. If not then 1,2 lift. Either way....

Deity

Noob
People need to understand that everything Skarlet does is punishable. Why ever block low? 8% for her slide? big deal. Especially if she uses a bar to simply do that.
I'm pretty sure Ermac can punish upslash/downslash/teleport with 3,1 lift. If not then 1,2 lift. Either way....
If you only block high you'll be eating En. Knife traps for weeks. Skarlet can be played safe as well, she's not all up-slash and down slash. She has a strong presence in footsies. I do think Skarlet players are getting away with murder as far as blocked slashes and teleports go though.

even when your being pressured you can poke her? don't slash link with normal cancles?
If the Scare use alot of slide low, im sure she could mind game some over head slashes

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Say you hit someone with a combo ending in 112 to stand them back up. Follow that up with a dash to continue pressure. Person stand blocks but instead of sliding skarlet does the f2,1,2,1+2 string. Not only building a huge amount of meter but also canceling it into another dash and ending THAT with slide. You just took 16% of unnecessary damage because you stand blocked. This isn't just some fantasy scenario I'm making up either, I do it all the time with skarlet. I do agree with you that her go to strings leave her wide open to attack, but I'm realizing there's gotta be some give and take for such versatility in a character.

ryublaze

Noob
8% is a lot IMO, and as stated already, if the opponent blocks high Skarlet can EX Dagger. Ninj was mopping the floor with people in that one Final Round online tourney simply because people refused to block low.

Killphil

RedRaptor10 can you tell me what capture device you're using? I'm going to get my own, would be nice to post my gameplay with my friends Kabal.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I wasn't detailed enough. If you see Skaret blow a bar ... I would block high. 1 bar for 8% vs. a whole lot of other shit.

Her dagger cancel is a good tool... but still overblown. There is just a ton of people who don't have the balls to armor out of it.
Again... someone mentioned there are a ton of people getting away with murder on her block stuff. Thing is... her only really safe move is the red dash slide. Everything else... full combo.
Skarlet players are just being super reckless at the moment... which isn't really helping matchup experience. Ninj was awesome... but he would be the first to tell you he was getting away with a TON of shit.

How do you guys open people up? I see lots of jumping and air daggers.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Sub, blocking high vs Skarlet is a fucked up thing because then you're free to not just 8%. You're free to at least 10% in chip + being at horrid frame disadvantage + Skarlet being able to start the entire thing back over again AND build back meter she lost so you lose more life unless you guess right.

Also, Skarlet frame data for the following strings into empty red dash:

114: -6
2: -3
212: -7
d4: -4
f2121+2: -4

Red slide is also -3. She's safer than you realize. And if you try to press buttons, you can get blown up by EX dash upslash not unlike Sonya. In fact, it's 100% like Sonya, because it leads to a reset and having to possibly deal with this ALL over again.

Skarlet is extremely BS when you realize how badly she blows you up the second you start blocking. Having played Ninj, I realized how ridiculous she was (And honestly, he wasn't doing all the dumb mixups she has).

This character is REALLY scary.

Killphil

I wasn't detailed enough. If you see Skaret blow a bar ... I would block high. 1 bar for 8% vs. a whole lot of other shit.

Her dagger cancel is a good tool... but still overblown. There is just a ton of people who don't have the balls to armor out of it.
Again... someone mentioned there are a ton of people getting away with murder on her block stuff. Thing is... her only really safe move is the red dash slide. Everything else... full combo.
Skarlet players are just being super reckless at the moment... which isn't really helping matchup experience. Ninj was awesome... but he would be the first to tell you he was getting away with a TON of shit.

Ok glad we can be civil. Yea EX red dash is for blowing through shit in the hopes of getting more than 8%. I despise her teleport so much. If you take a step forward it will whiff..BAM my ass gets blown up by a full combo. I play my friend's kabal..he does ground saw and I teleport at the same time..Kabal's silly ass hitbox makes it so it doesn't hit him. Her teleport is so unreliable outside of an AA jk follow up at least for me. As far as opening people up with her..yes thats a tough sell, but since she has one of the better strings in the game she gets 8% in chip off it and mix up at the end of it. I'll use b1,1,b4 to condition people to start blocking her trip and then cancel b1,1 into dash overhead. It actually works too. I wouldn't say people are getting away with murder. Two of her combo starters that I use (2,1,2, and f2,1,2, 1+2) actually move her a good deal forward. Someone doesn't position well enough you don't get a full combo punish. Jumping over her sometimes just doesn't give you time to move in and punish after a whiffed string. I said sometimes so don't hit me. I get punished from a whiffed 2,1,2 more often than not though, but the other string is another story if someone jumps over me. Also I'd like to think I'm not being reckless :D

Somberness

Lights

You actually can't armor out of f2121+2~ex dagger repeated if done fast enough.

THTB

If you do anything that is fast enough to jail, then yes, it will. I don't think f2121+2 is possible, though, because I'm pretty sure it requires too far of a dash for the first hit to properly connect, unless you're cornered.

Deity, I agree. This character is REALLY strong and vastly overlooked.

Deity

Noob
Yeah you would have to do something like 1,1,2 or 1,1,4 after, unless its a character with a giant crouching hitbox lol

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
If you do anything that is fast enough to jail, then yes, it will. I don't think f2121+2 is possible, though, because I'm pretty sure it requires too far of a dash for the first hit to properly connect, unless you're cornered.

Deity, I agree. This character is REALLY strong and vastly overlooked.
I was thinking this... mainly because i've never been completely jailed standing after the complete move set.
Obviously the numbers support that it jails high... but I just hold duck block and poke after the exDagger is blocked and you are dashing. Isn't the first f2 a true high?

THTB

Yes, it's true high. It's fast enough to jail, but it's really tight. EX dagger has no pushback (Just checked), so it's very possible.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Yes, it's true high. It's fast enough to jail, but it's really tight. EX dagger has no pushback (Just checked), so it's very possible.
All I needed to hear. My apologies for the misinformation i provided.
I still believe that anytime you scout out a red dash ... ex or not... you should just block high and eat a slide (unless of course it is close round) because it limits Skarlet's options.
She has SO many safe strings outside of the f2,1,2,1+2... and even that string is made safe with red dash slide.

THTB

You're not understanding Skarlet's offense at all.

If you block high, you eat MORE than 8%. At the very least, you lose 10%, and if she spends a bar, you are completely jailed and lose even more life. If the Skarlet player's execution is on point, you can eat up to 50% on chip damage if she has a full bar. Exactly like Quan Chi...only she can keep pressure going with more safety and can end up just building it back.

You don't limit Skarlet's options by stand blocking, because you open yourself up to the scariest part of her offense. You don't crouch? Okay, 10% in chip + mixups after for you. It's really dumb. After dealing with it a couple times, you're going to want to crouch eventually. And even if she does empty red dash, it's a mindgame because you aren't going to want to poke back unless you want to get blown up by EX red dash to upslash, which resets back to what you just had to deal with.

Skarlet's such a fucked up character when it comes to pressure, and her zoning options aren't barebones either. Having an instant air projectile is great, and her ground dagger may not do reasonable damage, but its startup isn't godawful, it is 100% safe on block, and the ability to cancel it opens up a fuckton of mind games in zoning. It's not designed to win matches alone, but it is very useful regardless.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
You're not understanding Skarlet's offense at all.

If you block high, you eat MORE than 8%. At the very least, you lose 10%, and if she spends a bar, you are completely jailed and lose even more life. If the Skarlet player's execution is on point, you can eat up to 50% on chip damage if she has a full bar. Exactly like Quan Chi...only she can keep pressure going with more safety and can end up just building it back.

You don't limit Skarlet's options by stand blocking, because you open yourself up to the scariest part of her offense. You don't crouch? Okay, 10% in chip + mixups after for you. It's really dumb. After dealing with it a couple times, you're going to want to crouch eventually.
off of a naked red dash? I'm not talking in general. obviously it is really bad.
My statements are in regards to the naked red dash. I see too many people trying to fuzzy guard it and getting blown up, or trying to poke it and getting blasted.

In the open outside of the dash... yeah of course i'm down blocking. I've been caught in that string too many times not to. Sorry for the unclarity of my statements.

THTB

That's because fuzzy guarding weakens the high/low aspect of not only slide/overhead, but string/slide/overhead because a red dash alone is even a mixup.