What's new

Question Skarlet Help?

Kyriann

Noob
Hello fellow Skarlet players- I'm new to the forums.
I've been playing MK9 for a few months now, and my first main was mileena, after I got her mostly mastered though I've been looking for a second character. Everyone on TRMK told me to avoid skarlet when I said I was interested in learning her since she's so execution heavy and it's only my second character ever in Mortal Kombat...
I took their advice and tried other ones instead but I kept being called back to Skarlet lol. I don't know why her playstyle seems so amusing, but it is. I've got her BnB combo almost down in training mode, but I still struggle greatly in actual fights.
If anyone using Playstation3 and would be willing to train me a little bit it would be greatly appreciated, my user is Kyriann1315.
Thanks guys! <3
Sorry for the wall of text lol.

AssassiN

Noob
Welcome to the forums and Skarlet :).

All I can recommend is daily practice, took me a while to get everything down consistently but now I'm not thinking about execution anymore. Just flows out while I can think about my next move. And your fingers won't bleed anymore, mastering her demands to fulfill her need of blood.

First thing is master her BNB's, then you move on to blockstrings. Make sure you can dynamically change between blockstrings to keep your opponent guessing.

Little negative edge trick I use:
- When you want to do 2,3, Red dash I input: 2,3,DF*wait till I see the red dash activate*B2/F2/4
(there are a few more tricks I use but I can't remember them at this moment)

In general, wait till the end of a combo string to input a special move, otherwise it will fuck up the combo(does another special move, special move not coming, ...) and gives you the opportunity to hitconfirm when they let go of block.

Then move on to her dagger cancels, first master the ground daggers. Make sure you barely move backwards to input your next dagger.
A trick you can do here is DF1, hold the 1, Back back(to cancel), DF, release the 1 and hold it again, ....
Gotta be careful when you do this though, cause if you wanna red dash and you're still holding on to the 1 it will do the daggers. So release the 1 before you do DF3.

Her air daggers are the toughest to do if you want them to be the closest to the ground. So focus on the the stuff I listed above and you'll be well on your way. All you need is practice and play a lot against the CPU, before you know it you won't be thinking about the execution anymore.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Welcome to the Skarlet forum Kyriann, we're glad to have you here.

Skarlet is actually difficult to use in actual fights, this is what makes her interesting, you have to work hard to deal against more experienced players because her biggest rewards (Best punishers) are also her bigger risks. Constant disadvantage on pressure and continuous use of meter.
The good thing is, if she punishes, she does it REAL hard, and if you block she builds meter fast, you you'll have to constantly change in actual fights and force them to play your game.

If you're on a road to master skarlet take in account what AssassiN[be] told you, having a flawless execution with no room for Error (Dropping combos, miss cancels/Resets, wrong timing,) is the most important key to use her at the best possible level, the less you mistakes you commit the better you will play.

Kyriann

Noob
Thanks for the advice guys! It's all provided some excellent input! What I've noticed so far from fighting CPUs is that I get quite fewer hits off then they do, but when i DO get a hit off it's much more punishing.
I suppose all I can really do is keep practicing on it lol, I knew going into this that she wouldn't be an easy character to learn, but damn- I didn't imagine it presenting this much of a challenge!
RedRaptor10 I'll definitely add you next time I'm online ^^

SaJa

FH_FenriR
I'll use this thread for my question.

What the best thing to do after a sektor's ex-tp on block ? I have big trouble online with that because even if I expect the ex-tp, I'll be hitten by 1, 1 before countering that shit.

AssassiN

Noob

What the best thing to do after a sektor's ex-tp on block ? I have big trouble online with that because even if I expect the ex-tp, I'll be hitten by 1, 1 before countering that shit.
Well, it's only -6 making it unpunishable.
If Sektor uses 1 that means it's a very high attack and you can counter that by using F4.
Poking works fine as well, you can actually check him with D4+ Red Dash into whatever mix-up you want.

If it still doesn't work out to your favor => ex red dash.

ryublaze

Noob

Maybe 114 will work?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist

Start a 114 ex dc block string, and get yourself 16% Chip damage

SaJa

FH_FenriR
I swear f4 and 1, 1, 4 was too late, I guess it's because of the delay issue. I recorded the matches anyway (need to upload). He had always the lil advantage to hit first.

@assassin : the-bizzle- T_T

AssassiN

Noob
I swear f4 and 1, 1, 4 was too late, I guess it's because of the delay issue. I recorded the matches anyway (need to upload). He had always the lil advantage to hit first.

@assassin : the-bizzle- T_T
His Sektor is very good, I'd blame it on online as well.
Can never punish the teleports from Cyrax and Raiden online.

SaJa

FH_FenriR

Yeah online is fucked up, in another hand it's also harder to punish Rain's tp and Skarlet's slashes.

Anyway guys : it's the last fighter (14min). It's -6 on block but the sektor player will keep spamming 1 while I'll wait the right timing to stop blocking and poke, so with such a delay I guess he has the lead online. :\

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I never understood why there are moves that don't take online in mind. It's like packaging the game with a function that is not accounted for "Yeah well you can play online, but only play Sektor Raiden and Reptile, they are unpunishable" wtf.

ryublaze

Noob
I was testing it in training mode and Skarlet's standing 1 will whiff unless you dash up to him after a blocked EX TU. Or maybe I was doing it too late.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I never understood why there are moves that don't take online in mind. It's like packaging the game with a function that is not accounted for "Yeah well you can play online, but only play Sektor Raiden and Reptile, they are unpunishable" wtf.
Those are called "lag tactics" when you use something online that you wouldn't use it on offline matches due the lag issues. Skarlet can use the same tactic as well by using upslash on someone with bad online conection, you can still armor it since they'll miss time it almost every time.

Saja is actually suffering from it, the sektor player knows his standing 1 is 6 frames, with the lag tactic his Ex Teleport goes unpunishable, since its -6 already he just matches standing 1 do catch punish attempts.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Those are called "lag tactics" when you use something online that you wouldn't use it on offline matches due the lag issues. Skarlet can use the same tactic as well by using upslash on someone with bad online conection, you can still armor it since they'll miss time it almost every time.

Saja is actually suffering from it, the sektor player knows his standing 1 is 6 frames, with the lag tactic his Ex Teleport goes unpunishable, since its -6 already he just matches standing 1 do catch punish attempts.
I know, he's a good player with a shit latency. I don't bother fighting him. He makes a 6-4 matchup 10-0 by lagging so badly.

AssassiN

Noob

Yeah online is fucked up, in another hand it's also harder to punish Rain's tp and Skarlet's slashes.

Anyway guys : it's the last fighter (14min). It's -6 on block but the sektor player will keep spamming 1 while I'll wait the right timing to stop blocking and poke, so with such a delay I guess he has the lead online. :\
Something that might help you out is that if you know Sektor is gonna wake-up, you can just dash up and do U3.
It doesn't matter if he does EX TP or EX flamethrower you'll knock him out of it and get yourself a free combo while he lost meter.
Practice it in training mode to get the timing down, you have to do it a little bit delayed.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
Yeah I know Sektor isn't supposed to have "safe wakeup" (any normal will stop tp, there've been a video about it on TYM btw), however, I swear online it is 99% safe xD

I'll try with u3 as you recommand anyway. Ty guys.

Online is completly a different game. One of my best stuffs with Rain is tp + waterfall vs wake up whereas offline I don't even think about it ^^

AssassiN

Noob
Yeah I know Sektor isn't supposed to have "safe wakeup" (any normal will stop tp, there've been a video about it on TYM btw), however, I swear online it is 99% safe xD

I'll try with u3 as you recommand anyway. Ty guys.

Online is completly a different game. One of my best stuffs with Rain is tp + waterfall vs wake up whereas offline I don't even think about it ^^
I know online is totally different, stuff that I practiced in training mode and arcade ladder that doesn't work online just pisses me off.