What's new

Video/Tutorial Skarlet - Finnally a use for B113

ryublaze

Noob
This game isn't only about frames (or Rain would be screwed xD) it's also about mindgame/surprise/gimmick and all those elements which make the metagame. If I'm looking for an air dagger midscreen reset it is because the opponent won't expect it and if rarely used, would add something more in the Skarlet metagame.

Now let's go to find a use to b1, 1, b4.
I know that, but with stuff like B1,1,3 it is easy to see the dagger coming since that string is so long and easy to see. I'm not bashing the setup; I'm saying it is generally better to end with 1,1,2. People who know the matchup at the highest level will block the dagger everytime, you lose your frame advantage, you lose your mix-up, you lose your meter build, and possibly lose your corner containment. Believe me, I've played people who know about OTG dagger and block the forward throw into OTG dagger everytime, then they poke/armor out whatever I try to do afterwards or jump out of the corner. The only times I use OTG dagger in the corner is after a throw or when I accidently drop a combo so I quickly iaD them to prevent wake-ups.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
I know that, but with stuff like B1,1,3 it is easy to see the dagger coming since that string is so long and easy to see. I'm not bashing the setup; I'm saying it is generally better to end with 1,1,2.
My bad, I though you only were talking about air dagger reset ;p

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
The dagger can be blocked every time, even if they try inputting a wake-up attack. All they have to do is hold block while they're grounded then input the wake-up attack.
it just doesn't favor your playstyle ;)

To me who likes to play with counters sometimes i do like to stay on -3, exactly when they think its safe to use strings on my disadvantage, so i can armor out and do another combo. Which is exactly what this OTG does on block

What i saw i this setup, is the opportunity skarlet has to always OTG the opponent, no matter if he tech rolls it or wakeup with the block, it won't work because the dagger hits on the last frames before the wakeup becomes active, once they learn they can wakeup attack and starting to wait for the dagger, and i can just simply fake using an iaD instead, then they'll lose the invincibility because they delayed a wakeup. Now is just a matter of D4 tech rolls before wakeups, and U34 corner pressure.

112~rd when used at the lowest gravity doesn't give frame advantage, the opponent can poke out or spin in the next pressure, but you can close the gap by upslashing right after, which can be blocked and leave skarlet at -13

ryublaze

Noob
If you want to be at -3 why not end in slide assuming it's blocked? Just curious. You can also counter read/armor after the blockstring after 1,1,2 too. You are building more meter, doing more chip damage, and creating a mix-up this way and still able to counter.

WarfaringStranger

Shao Kahn's creation
IMO the mind-games you all are discussing can no doubt be useful against opponents you fight on a daily/weekly basis. The same corner meta-game Eddy described is very effective against my roommates, whom I fight daily.

However most top-class fighters, despite the fact that they generally don't know the Skarlet MU, intimately understand the concept of regaining frame advantage, and most are bold enough to instantly react to potentially advantageous scenarios. Seems to me that if you really want to win a match against an opponent who deserves respect--whether their reputation precedes them or otherwise--then 112 standing reset is the best bet. Why gamble?

Nevertheless, the iaDD OTG-reset is a really cool attribute and has many, many intangible uses, especially against opponents who know and therefore fear Skarlet's moveset.

EDIT, regarding minus frames after 112 reset when gravity is at its lowest (or highest?): B113 cannot be executed at that point in the combo because the 3 will whiff. So you're sacrificing some damage.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
i dunno red, perhaps your're correct. The opponent just doesn't attack after they block a slide, they try to jump out or bait armor with D3.

EDIT, regarding minus frames after 112 reset when gravity is at its lowest (or highest?): B113 cannot be executed at that point in the combo because the 3 will whiff. So you're sacrificing some damage.
No i'm not, the damage is basically the same.

WarfaringStranger

Shao Kahn's creation
snip

No i'm not, the damage is basically the same.
You can do 10% more damage in the corner and into 112 standing reset. You cannot, however, go that big and end the combo with B113. That would be sacrificing damage. I try to maximize wherever possible, assumed everyone else did to.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
You can do 10% more damage in the corner and into 112 standing reset. You cannot, however, go that big and end the combo with B113. That would be sacrificing damage. I try to maximize wherever possible, assumed everyone else did to.
I know what you're talking about, its the following combo.

F4~rd~ds, U3, 2~ds, b11F4~ds, b11f4~ds, 112~rd 17 hits 50% damage + reset with disadvantage: there is a high chance of you missing the last hit of 112 to reset, and once you red dash, the opponent will armor out of your follow ups, or characters like KL or sektor that have a 6f moves will just use it.

I usually to this:
F4~rd~ds, U3, 2~ds, b11F4~ds, 112~rd, 12 hits 45% damage + some frame advantage: here you have the upperhand, the reset its good the damage is acceptable, and the chances of succeed on a blockstring its also good, LOTF uses this to throw a EX Dagger that will whiff on the reset so skarlet can use F212 before they recover, which is also very good actually. I also uses a Blood ball that is garanteed chip and spacing between both characters

The Opening post has the same combo, with a B113 that pins the opponent down for a inescapable OTG. The difference is that it deals 48% damage minimum with the OTG blocked and 51% with the OTG on hit instead of 45% and you don't use meter.

Eventually a high level player will want to poke out after they block the dagger, this is exactly what i need to keep him in the corner and start the counter poking game, U3 pressure game and counter reads all in the same package.

The important to me its not that they'll poke out, its what you'll do after they poke out that matters, its still a containment

WarfaringStranger

Shao Kahn's creation
I know what you're talking about, its the following combo.

F4~rd~ds, U3, 2~ds, b11F4~ds, b11f4~ds, 112~rd 17 hits 50% damage + reset with disadvantage: there is a high chance of you missing the last hit of 112 to reset, and once you red dash, the opponent will armor out of your follow ups, or characters like KL or sektor that have a 6f moves will just use it.

snip
Actually I was referring to a variation of this combo...

Replace the 112 at the end of the combo with B113 and the final hit (3) will whiff.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Actually I was referring to a variation of this combo...

Replace the 112 at the end of the combo with B113 and the final hit (3) will whiff.
I know you're talking about this combo, is very similar to the one i use.

if you remove the last : (B11F4~Downslash, 112) from the combo and replace it with B113, it won't whiff.

I'm already using this in battle so far so good, they're always trying to wakeup and keep getting blown up by the OTG giving more frame advantage for a F212 blockstring.