What's new

Strategy Sinestro Lows

Hi, forgive the opening paragraph but I just feel that it has to be said before moving on to the real question regarding lows.

Seriously, people need to stop bitching about Sinestro being poorly designed. He's got strengths and weaknesses like most of the cast. He's my main and when I lose, I lose mostly because I (me the player not Sinestero the character) haven't learned all the strings my opponents use and sometimes fail to block accordingly. Otherwise, he has a great mid-range game, can zone (Yeah yeah, he's not the BEST zoner but he's got above average zoning tools, plus he can actually stand toe-to-toe with chumps who will actually try to zone), he has a pretty fast overhead and his d.2 is awesome. He even has great lunge ability to punish whiffs in b.1-2. A. Sting on wakeup seems to be working well.

My ONLY issue, and this is why I am posting, is his lack of lows. Yes, I use d.1 whenever I can. Otherwise, I am still experimenting with f.2 +d.3 but I haven't quite mastered it (range) yet. Was wondering if anyone has kind of developed any strategies on that front or if we just need to accept that his low game, aside from d.1/3, is non-existent.

regulas

Your Emporer
B2, 1, 3 (I think... the sword move) Overhead-Low-Mid. The range is a bit funny, but if you learn to land it it is a great string.

B2, 1, 3 (I think... the sword move) Overhead-Low-Mid. The range is a bit funny, but if you learn to land it it is a great string.
I haven't tested this one independently yet (i usually pull it ou as a combo ender) mostly because I am a rather aggressive mid range player who has, for now, relied on b.1,2/3 starters. Up close, I use 2,2,d.3 string which ends with the overhead. I alternate with the above mentioned sweep and b.2,3 overhead and grab on the wake up/close range game. His overhead comes out fairly quick and has so far served me quite well.

dittO

Noob
His d1 is not a low. It's a mid...so essentially his only low move is d3.
The other two (f2d1 and b21) lows can be pretty much blocked on reaction, as most people that I play usually against, already react easily to them. Either way these pokes serve their purpose, as being relatively safe/ranged and/or possible follow up (3rd hit) in both attack strings.
However, I really don't think that Sinestro's gameplay revolves around overhead/low mixups that much. I rarely have the need to go for such mixups with him. His pressure with low-to-the-ground axe special move is something that I enjoy abusing lately. This thing is by no means -2 on block when perform close to landing. It is certainly positive.

Got me on the d.1 which is a mid after all but does come out quick and I do tend to spam it. Yeah it may sound weird but I don't mind using b.2,3 which is the overhead mixup game on wake. I find it works fairly well and I always tend to dash back whether it hits (to get back to mid) or not (hopefully not get punished too hard). But I'm pretty aggressive and I do use throw often. Hence the mix-up of going either b.2,3 or throw.

Do you mean air axe of terror?

dittO

Noob
Yes (axe of terror).
Blindly jumping in with 1 (as it has many active frames) or 2 (sometimes) and canceling with axe while landing can lead to good pressure and on hit you can actually go for a very easy hit confirm bnb if about 25-28. If you have trait active it can reach about 38 to 41% (all meterless).
(I'll update probably tomorrow the combo section with these axe combos, although some people may already have mentioned them somewhere in the forums)