What's new

Shujinko, the next generation Liu Kang

Pizza

Thrill Kill
I played a bit of MK Deception today, so I went to the Extras menu and watched some videos. It was nostalgic. Among them there was this:

Interesting.

Do you think at some point Shujinko was really being considered as the next MK protagonist? I mean, comparing him to Liu Kang is big.

But before something like could happen, Armageddon happened and Shujinko died.

Then Raiden changed the timeline...

And justice was served

I don't know if Shujinko has any fans. But realistically: Does he have any chances to come back someday? Would you like him to come back?

BS3OOO

Noob
I wouldn't mind. It's been a while so memory is kind of foggy, but didn't he learn different techniques and abilities from various characters? Since the timeline is different, he could possibly go under the wing of a completely different cast of characters. That way, we'd get the opportunity to see returning specials from other characters who aren't in the game.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
Shujinko? More like: Shang Tsung called and said "You're a bitch, now GTFO".
lol ikr

Shujinko is a mix of lots of characters. Doesn't really stands out on his own.

And his dream during most of the Konquest mode is to defeat Shang Tsung! lol

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I really enjoyed Shujinko but I think he was meant to be one or done or maybe just come back as their customizable character.

But on him returning as a playable character? I just don't see it, he has no unique special moves and he doesn't seem that well liked. Though if they want to just give us a character with straight martial arts and a throw that leads to full combo then I'd play the shit out of Shujinko.

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
Shujinko was never meant to be more than he was, imo -- his story is over by the end of Deception. He's meant to be sort of a Liu Kang gone wrong and deceived... he's otherwise generic, pretty intentionally.

His name is even just Japanese for "protagonist".

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
I like Shujinko. He is not anywhere near my favorites, but I like him. I would rather so many characters to return before him. If he did return I would be very interested in his moveset. I would like him to have a "steal" move that doesn't actually copy the other characters, but just uses his ability. He could steal from SZ and create an Ice Spear, steal from Ermac and use Telekinesis to stop projectiles, steal from Liu Kang and get some new fiery enders for his strings. It could be really interesting.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
I really liked Shujinko and like the "aged fighter" character concept. The concept is not particularly original, but it is an interesting one.

He is one of my favorite 3D era characters (alongside Li Mei/Ashrah/Bo Rai Cho) and I really hope they bring him back at some stage.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
I never liked him that much. But it’s like the mk11 krypt guy, they aren’t meant to be “real characters” it’s just a player vessel to explore the universe. Taven had a little more character imo but he was just as forgettable. It’s not that I hate or dislike them though, they were just used for a different purpose and don’t match the personality of the other Mk cast.

Lord Snotty

Lord of the Bletherrealm.
I really liked Shujinko. I don't agree that fandom disliked him as much as has been said in the past. If I had to bring him back, I'd reimagine him to look more like...

Yes, it's Kung Lao from Deadly Alliance. But I reckon this could be Shujinko's aesthetic. Making him younger will immediately allow fans to attach themselves to him, because old Shujinko is...too old.

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
I really liked Shujinko. I don't agree that fandom disliked him as much as has been said in the past. If I had to bring him back, I'd reimagine him to look more like...

Yes, it's Kung Lao from Deadly Alliance. But I reckon this could be Shujinko's aesthetic. Making him younger will immediately allow fans to attach themselves to him, because old Shujinko is...too old.
So you want him to look like Elvis... with a Ponytail...