What's new

Should testers be excluded from competing in the first few tournaments of the game?

Should testers be banned for the first couple tournaments of MKX?

• Total voters

Marvaz

come at me
We know the guys who are testing lol, 16bit and ppj. Most people have other jobs and can't take time off work to spend months testing a game. The 300 testers are probably people whose job is to be a video game tester, not tournament players in our community. If they do the guest testing again it probably won't be for a couple months like it was for injustice, and it'll be for a short time
Who is testing the game? Wheres this list? I dont think anyone cares about the non tournament player testers.... And like a couple people already said, if its just a 2 week tester no one will care. Its the people like 16bit, ppj and wheoever else is and has been testing this game that ARE tourney players. lol at ppl saying "just stay home if you dont want to lose" NO long term tester should be able to compete for the first 3 months. Like i said before, look at injustice. Look at the first couple tournaments and then look at 3 months after. Same thing happened with mk9. A lot of people dont even know WHO the longterm tourney players were that tested mk9...

I SAY YES BECAUSE WE PUT MONEY IN THE OFFLINE EVENT ONLY TO LOSE TO SOMEONE WHO HAD MORE TIME PLAYING AND .. IVE EXPERIENCE THIS AT CIVAL WAR . JUST THE FIRST MAJORS NOT SECOND GIVE TIME FOR A FAIR GAME BEFORE YOU GUYS START RIGGING BRACKETS !!!! ... PAYING MONEY TO LOSE TO A GAME TEST IS ROBBERY. ..

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
To be fair, I don't think saying "this player would be good anyway" is a real excuse to give them an early advantage. Not talking about this situation in particular, just saying.
True. The bottom line is since we are talking about top players, we don't know how much of their win is prior knowledge of the game vs. just being good players. I think them being top players deserves the benefit of the doubt. To me, it's more unreasonable to tell a top player who has been good at multiple games and has proven to be good during all times of those game's lifespan that the main reason they are winning is because they had a week's worth of practice on a early build of the game during production.

Did the testing help those players? Sure of course it did. Was it the reason they won the tournament? Probably not. Its like 80% them being a good player and 20% because they prior game knowledge due to testing. That doesn't constitue in them being banned imo.

Last edited:

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Who is testing the game? Wheres this list? I dont think anyone cares about the non tournament player testers.... And like a couple people already said, if its just a 2 week tester no one will care. Its the people like 16bit, ppj and wheoever else is and has been testing this game that ARE tourney players. lol at ppl saying "just stay home if you dont want to lose" NO long term tester should be able to compete for the first 3 months. Like i said before, look at injustice. Look at the first couple tournaments and then look at 3 months after. Same thing happened with mk9. A lot of people dont even know WHO the longterm tourney players were that tested mk9...
The "whoever else" I'm pretty sure is no one you're worried about. The few other really top guys in Chicago have prior commitments with current jobs/school. There's no list it's just common knowledge around here, but I assume you haven't been paying attention enough since I haven't seen you around much. It's a months-long commitment, if guys like reo, pl, pig, cowboy, etc were brought in to be a long-term tester they'd basically have to leave their jobs and we would've noticed they're gone by now. That's why they bring those people in for guest testing and just use those couple guys in chicago long-term.

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
Lol

A couple thoughts. Are testers allowed to say they tested? Also will they be allowed to say how long they tested for? This information could be helpful.

Now for my final thought. I know this doesn't fit into the main theme of this thread which is concerned about people spending money and traveling to tournaments only to lose to a tester. Whatever the community decides on that matter I am cool with. However please use this information to help speed up your learning process for MK X. GGA will be having a midnight release party/tournament the day MK X comes out. All testers will be welcome, from full time Q/A guys to people who live in Chicago and part time tested. 2 days later it will be Thursday and will be our first GBS hosting MK X. All testers are also welcome. Those two early tournaments will be streamed so everyone will be able to see exactly what the testers are doing and hopefully learning a lot about MK X, even though us lowly scrubs will be getting destroyed :). Then that Saturday will be another MK X tournament, and that one will be no testers allowed, to let us little people have a little fun after getting bodied hard the two previous tournaments. After that every Thursday will be full on everyone allowed to play.

I know this has nothing to do with regional and major tournaments, but at least you have a stream where you can see what level the testers are at currently and hopefully learn a lot.

Flagg

Noob
This will be Brady's only chance to win a major so he will be logging in under his name and Shaolin Shokan to vote NO twice.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I don't think the first few tournaments of a new game should hold much weight, if any at all. The competition isn't strong enough to try and brag about winning the first tournament of a newly released game. "Dur hur, I beat all the newbs because I've been testing the game for 6+ months. Bow before me."
who cares?

Money don't care.

trufenix

bye felicia
This is like a room full of 10 year olds arguing about peeing in girls to get them pregnant and gay couples having babies coming out of their butts. What do you people actually think the "testers" do all day?