What's new

Should NRS care about story?

I know a lot of people really enjoy the story mode, and I get that. Personally I couldn't care about it and only ever play it for a skin or character unlock... but that is just me.. more power to you if you like it.

Still I was thinking today that NRS should ignore Story Mode when considering their roster.

I am not saying that there should be no story mode (even though I would not miss it), I am just saying that the story mode should not be taken into account when NRS is deciding on the rosters.

Lets look at MKx only...

Baraka - Dead
Mileena - Dead
Quan Chi - Dead
Shinnok - Dead?
Cyrax / Sektor - Dead? (There heads were in that MKx story mode scene)
Original Cast is all Old

Then if we take MK9

Jade, Jax, Kabal, Kitana, Kung Lao, Liu Kang, Nightwolf, Shang Tsung, Shao Kahn, Sindel, Smoke (Human), Stryker and Sub-Zero (but he is back in MKx and CyberZero is ??)

Now.. the question is...

Should NRS take the story cannon seriously when making there Roster. I mean do we want to have a future MKxi and not have Mileena in it.. to NEVER have her in any MK again? Do we want some silly "zombie" story like we got in MKx every time we want the classic characters back? Do "zombie" stories even make sense now that Quan Chi is dead?

I think that NRS should go to town with story mode, even though I do not care about it. BUT I also think that when they design the roster and especially the DLC they should completely ignore the story and simply put in cool characters.

Thoughts?

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
I would say, with the addition of Liu, KL, and Kitana in MKX despite their deaths in MK9 and not coming back to life that they already do this.

Though I would say I haven't liked the story in forever. The comics did the universe justice at the very least.

true, but they wrote their comeback into the story mode.. it was Sub Zero that just came back from MK9 with not explanation (unless their is an explanation I do not know).

I mean look at the DLC Forum, nearly all the requests are for dead characters!

This is the game where every character dies twice a second average, dude.
Nobody gives a shit.
Exactly.. so NRS should just stop caring and writing these convoluted comebacks into the story.. no one cares we just want to play the a fun roster.

The story is for casuals, and casuals bring in money. So the story stays.
you misunderstand. I am saying it the story should stay... but NRS needs to either ignore it when making the roster. The roster should be unrestricted by what ever direction they wish to take the story mode.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
you misunderstand. I am saying it the story should stay... but NRS needs to either ignore it when making the roster. The roster should be unrestricted by what ever direction they wish to take the story mode.
This is MK, we got Raiden rewriting history for MK9 and Quan Cheese make people Revenants in this game.

I'm pretty sure you don't have to worry.

Espio

Kokomo
true, but they wrote their comeback into the story mode.. it was Sub Zero that just came back from MK9 with not explanation (unless their is an explanation I do not know).

Exactly.. so NRS should just stop caring and writing these convoluted comebacks into the story.. no one cares we just want to play the a fun roster.
They explained how Sub-Zero was restored back to life, the reversal spell/burst of energy Raiden used restored him, Jax and Scorpion. Intro dialogues and other story bits explain that when Sub-zero died, Quan Chi's revenant process is what removed his cybernetic enhancements and he was given the choice on which form to take as a revenant.

Cool. I thought there was some "reasoning" but isn't that 1/2 the point. As the years go by and these "explanations" have to be woven into the plot, taking time from the story. It just seams so silly and it will get more and more silly as time goes by.

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan

Although mentioned in the story, the comic also elaborates further as to why he is alive the way he is, without listing any spoilers.

Deyrax

Skarlet who ?
Assuming they ever did ? Bitch Kitana is in this game, along with Poo Kang who was "supposedly" fried. NRS doesn't care about story. That's like Shao Kahn died during MKDA and then in Deception they said it was a clone. Oh wow. Everyone is either resurrected these days, or just has a clone every time.

Assuming they ever did ? Bitch Kitana is in this game, along with Poo Kang who was "supposedly" fried. NRS doesn't care about story. That's like Shao Kahn died during MKDA and then in Deception they said it was a clone. Oh wow. Everyone is either resurrected these days, or just has a clone every time.
exactly.. this is exactly my point.

I would much prefer the roster to be separated completely form the story cannon, so all these stupid resurrections do not need to be introduced into the stories. I mean look at the comments in this thread. No one cares about death, it is completely meaningless. So why even have it in the stories, it is a complete non event. It removes any gravitas form the stories that show any kind of death as the viewer knows it is completely reversible. It has about the same impact as seeing them in a different outfits. Changing clothing has about as much effect on the viewer as death as it is rendered meaningless.

BUT

If they chose to make the roster independent from the story mode and simply a collection of popular characters from across the MK Universe Time line then they could actually develop a narrative that not only makes sense but also has consequences and real character death. Look at that Game of Thrones or Walking Dead Tv Show for example of how character death can really make a story pop, this is something completely missing from MK.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Death is never an absolut decision and/or problem issue in MK universe ..... we learnt this from MK9 to MKX .... any character can return back with a shit or a reasonable explanation, rsrsrs :D

Blade4693

VIVIVI
For me its a yes. The story and lore has always been one of my favorite things about MK. When I was a kid the main reason I played so much was so I could read/see all the characters endings after beating the ladders with them lol