What's new

Should ladder endings stop being non-canon?

Should ladder endings be canon?

• Yes

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 38 69.1%
  • Other (wtf?)

Votes: 7 12.7%

• Total voters

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Voted no.

Imagine being a Mileena fan and her canon ending is her just being dead. Not much fun there. But as a Mileena fan a "what if" ending of her defeating Kotal and ruling Outworld or whatnot would be a cool ending. The ladder endings are fan service for people's favorite characters, while the story is for canon.
Why would her ending be after she died?

This endings could take place at any point and time and could used as a way of filling in gaps for lore or boosting character prowess. Some of them could even be before the events of the games.

Like beating arcade with Baraka gives you a breakdown of his rise to power as the leader of the Tarkata, for example.

Hara-Killer

Reverse Salt
after that "temporal Armaggedon" said by kronika and being canon , now all endings should be another reality/multiverse history and could be an New MK game or movie or comic..

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
So you are suggesting something like

Mileena kills shinnok... Oh yeah... here is something mileena did two years ago... Ok see you later.

<Pretends that we didn't watch her kill shinnok>

I think you are missing the point - the endings are just a fantasy and fun. Not everyone buys every MK game, so for them, that is their characters ending.

While I hear what you are saying, and the sentiment behind it, I think it is way too convoluted to make all endings cannon.

I like them being non-canon, it allows NRS more freedom when creating them.

Also, guest characters have ladder endings, and if they're canon, guest characters are also canon. I don't mind them but I don't want them to be included in the lore.

Last edited:

Cassie Cyrus

Have you ever seen the Rain?
Chill Nerds, It's only a game with people shooting lightning and fire balls...

Anyway, NO, I love these random endings, some of them are pathetic, others are really fun and cool, still others are hilarious.

I also love the style of the MKX endings, so beautiful.

Last edited:

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Individual ladder endings are created around the idea that whoever you chose is the "champion" of whatever storyline that game has. It's always been that way. I don't see how it could be done any other way without creating a ton of unnecessary work for the NRS guys. It's fun to see the crazy scenarios NRS comes up with for the non-canon endings. If it was done any other way every endings would be like:

"And (insert character) watches as Cassie Cage one again becomes the champion of Mortal Kombat for no apparent reason whatsoever."

Your idea spotlights the underdogs more than a useless "what if they defeated X?" snippet ever could, so I'd consider it an improvement.

Ghost of The Moon

One with the air.
Remember when Shang Tsung couldn't handle absorbing Shao Kahn's soul?

Imagine if the dude took Onaga's soul, Shang Tsung would implode.

Like you said, Arcade endings are just "What Ifs". Specifically, what if the selected character is the one that defeats the main villain.

They don't have to start from that premise, though.
Except they do, since that's how you get the endings in the first place, by besting the boss.

What are you suggesting? "That fight that just finished didn't really happen"?

The only way this works is if there's no final boss at all and the final fighter is different for each character, like in Guilty Gear Xrd.

Which wouldn't be a bad idea, but MK fans would probably miss having a final boss.

Last edited:

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I kind of want them to be in a way because I hate waiting til the next game to see who's canon and who's not.