What's new

Question Should I even try to main Mr. J if I can't do certain strings?

Gilbagz

Joker here~
Check out the 2,1,2 combo thread also. This is turning into a huge part of Jokers legit meta in matches because the variety of options off of it is insane. To be honest, I suck at the d2 teeth shinanigans as well. I started using it in the corner a bit, but I can't connect the j2 afterwards mid screen with any kind of consistency. So I stick with the other 44% BnB for my big damage combo. Joker is alot more about teeth setups and keeping the pressure on than he is about going an extra 3-4% on a big combo punish, so don't let not being able to do that discourage you. If you wanna play him, get good with his mixup / pressure and get back to trying to time out that d2 teeth crap later, it's much less important imo.

Just to help though, make sure you have that reset inputs option or whatever turned of, then just input it like d2b3f in that order, works pretty well for me so that might help you out man.
One thing though, being able to hit that j2 is going to be huge for joker in the long run cuz it allows joker to maintain continuous offence. Otherwise you needa drop like 15% for the safe jump set up. With the d2 teeth j2 combo you only drop 5% for the potential a bonus 34%. Which even if they block grants you the safe jump into 2,1,2 mix ups.

I kinda understand why Joker has no 50/50's now. Otherwise he would be taking 40% + another free 50/50 off the guaranteed ji2 he gets.
He could be a one touch kill character cuz of the 50/50 he would get after.

laudanum09

Darling
cancel teeth from the DF2 position

I'm like 90% positive you can't cancel into teeth from a D2 position unless you go back to neutral. the 'Down' in 'D2' doesn't count as part of the input if you're only doing D, 2, B, 3...I think pretty much how you can't hold back and push forward +2 to get flower.

Gilbagz

Joker here~
cancel teeth from the DF2 position

I'm like 90% positive you can't cancel into teeth from a D2 position unless you go back to neutral. the 'Down' in 'D2' doesn't count as part of the input if you're only doing D, 2, B, 3...I think pretty much how you can't hold back and push forward +2 to get flower.
It works if you do d2 from neutral. If you're holding down then yeah it doesn't work.
Its like this to stop us from getting db motions if we are already holding down.
If you are using sf inputs then you can do it from crouched since its harder to accidentally do d,db,b.
It was like this in MK. Can't cancel from full crouch unless you go to neutral first. Otherwise you need to buffer the whole motion from neutral.

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
Yeah, it's a matter of pressing the input as opposed to holding them, and the release thing has to be turned off. It works with d2b3f to do the d2 teeth MUCH easier, and you and do b1f2 for easy flower off of b1 and things like that (which is safe btw, as with most flower shenanigans). Release being off is pretty huge for alot of Joker's stuff.

EDIT: To elaborate on what I was saying here, to execute the cancel, I hit d+2 at the same time for the crowbar uppercut, followed by b+3 immediately to que up the teeth, then press forward to trigger the far toss. So basically, it's d+2,b+3,f for my inputs; does the uppercut, cancels into teeth, and throws them far. I just suck at getting that ji2 in after. Have to time that AND have timed the uppercut very precisely. Don't think I'll ever be consistent enough with it, so just gonna stick with other strings for my big punishes.

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
I couldn't get the teeth to come out after a D2. Then laudanum09 suggested holding the stick in a DF position as you hit 2 for the uppercut. This lets you get the input out correctly for the uppercut, but it also sets you up for perfect position for the follow up teeth.

This is where the tricky part comes in (it won't be tricky after you get your mind in the habit of inputting the teeth in rhythm.) What you need to do is twirl the stick to the down position after hitting 2, then you need to quarter circle the stick to the back position. As you're passing the stick through the back position, you need to input 3 (this is the teeth special move input.) To get the far teeth you need to move the stick from the back position to the forward position. The best way I've found to get this done without getting a crowbar special is to move the stick from back to forward by twirling it through the up position and to the forward.

You should essentially do the following (in rhythm):

Hold Down and forward
hit 2 as you're holding down and forward
twirl the stick to the down and back position
hit 3 as the stick is in the back position
continue twirling the stick through the up position and end in the forward position.

All you're doing is moving the stick through a near complete circle. The key is to begin in the down forward position, input 3 as the stick passes the back position, and finish the motion in the forward position.

I'll get a video of this motion as well.

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
I couldn't get the teeth to come out after a D2. Then laudanum09 suggested holding the stick in a DF position as you hit 2 for the uppercut. This lets you get the input out correctly for the uppercut, but it also sets you up for perfect position for the follow up teeth.

This is where the tricky part comes in (it won't be tricky after you get your mind in the habit of inputting the teeth in rhythm.) What you need to do is twirl the stick to the down position after hitting 2, then you need to quarter circle the stick to the back position. As you're passing the stick through the back position, you need to input 3 (this is the teeth special move input.) To get the far teeth you need to move the stick from the back position to the forward position. The best way I've found to get this done without getting a crowbar special is to move the stick from back to forward by twirling it through the up position and to the forward.

You should essentially do the following (in rhythm):

Hold Down and forward
hit 2 as you're holding down and forward
twirl the stick to the down and back position
hit 3 as the stick is in the back position
continue twirling the stick through the up position and end in the forward position.

All you're doing is moving the stick through a near complete circle. The key is to begin in the down forward position, input 3 as the stick passes the back position, and finish the motion in the forward position.

I'll get a video of this motion as well.
I'm watching the Sony E3 stream so my attention is else where but I just did it 2 times out 3. Thanks bro.

Ren21

Noob
Yep df2 is the way to go for getting it consistant. If teeth still aren't coming out make sure you delay pressing forward a sec after throwing teeth. If you throw teeth and go forward right away to control the range it wont come out at all. Practice df2 cancel into teeth then after add in the forward so you can get the timing.

This goes for all strings cancelled with teeth, gotta delay that forward(or up)

First things first if you have release check on in your control options that will make the d2-far teeth combo impossible because when you let go of 2 after pressing d2, release check takes that release as a second input and thus makes your DB that you're inputting for DB3, into DB2 no matter what as I explain below. Now if that isn't your problem read on,

Here's the trick to landing the d2-far teeth, and d2-MB RLG combo's, I'll start with the RLG, (getting this down first will help you that's the only reason I'm going into it), make sure release check is off in your control options, start with your joystick at 4:30 (referring to an analog clocks hour hand) then press d2, the moment your d2 connects pull your joystick back to 9:00 and press 2 & RT the moment you get the joystick to 9:00, basically it's a 3/8 turn starting in the bottom right corner, otherwise your joystick won't recognize the 1/4 circle after the d2, and honestly for that one if you don't have release check turned off you can just pull back to 9 from 4:30 and press RT, you don't have to press 2 a second time. But release check has to be turned off for the far teeth, otherwise every time you do the 3/8 turn it'll automatically trigger the RLG because the release check takes you letting go of 2 after the d2 as a second input (basically what release check does is count releases of buttons as input of buttons in certain combo circumstances), NOW what you where waiting for, with release check turned off, and your joystick at 4:30, press d2 immediately pull your joystick back to 9:00 & press 3 then push forward, all as one fluid motion, it'll take some practice and to get the timing down I recommend just learning the d2-MB RLG combo first with Release Check on because it'll take out one of the button presses and make it a little less complicated and easier to learn the timing, There may be better ways to do this and I'm sorry if I'm no help but I've spent the last day or so learning these combos and this is what worked for me, and always remember even tho your holding down, the moment you go from 6:00 to 4:30 you're no longer blocking and thus vulnerable so have that d2 input ready.

Red Venom

The Main Man of TYM
There's a similar situation with Lobo players. Our B12 can be cancelled into a czarnian toss if you can get a d1 after the 2 launches the opponent, however the timing is incredibly strict making this option grossly impractical, especially online. Its his only string I can't do but that doesn't mean I'm gonna drop the main man. :p

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
First things first if you have release check on in your control options that will make the d2-far teeth combo impossible because when you let go of 2 after pressing d2, release check takes that release as a second input and thus makes your DB that you're inputting for DB3, into DB2 no matter what as I explain below. Now if that isn't your problem read on,

Here's the trick to landing the d2-far teeth, and d2-MB RLG combo's, I'll start with the RLG, (getting this down first will help you that's the only reason I'm going into it), make sure release check is off in your control options, start with your joystick at 4:30 (referring to an analog clocks hour hand) then press d2, the moment your d2 connects pull your joystick back to 9:00 and press 2 & RT the moment you get the joystick to 9:00, basically it's a 3/8 turn starting in the bottom right corner, otherwise your joystick won't recognize the 1/4 circle after the d2, and honestly for that one if you don't have release check turned off you can just pull back to 9 from 4:30 and press RT, you don't have to press 2 a second time. But release check has to be turned off for the far teeth, otherwise every time you do the 3/8 turn it'll automatically trigger the RLG because the release check takes you letting go of 2 after the d2 as a second input (basically what release check does is count releases of buttons as input of buttons in certain combo circumstances), NOW what you where waiting for, with release check turned off, and your joystick at 4:30, press d2 immediately pull your joystick back to 9:00 & press 3 then push forward, all as one fluid motion, it'll take some practice and to get the timing down I recommend just learning the d2-MB RLG combo first with Release Check on because it'll take out one of the button presses and make it a little less complicated and easier to learn the timing, There may be better ways to do this and I'm sorry if I'm no help but I've spent the last day or so learning these combos and this is what worked for me, and always remember even tho your holding down, the moment you go from 6:00 to 4:30 you're no longer blocking and thus vulnerable so have that d2 input ready.
This is the reason I love this site! Thanks for the detail man. You didn't have to put, but you did to help a fellow player learn. That's super cool to me. I'm a xbox pad player though. I figured out that I don't need to set up at the moment because I can play Joker in a different way. For example this combo has been working for me online

JI2, 213, Dash JI2, 32 MB RLG, JI2, Teeth, JI2, 323, Acid

I've been playing around with him in the lab and came up with my own setups. One day I'll try to learn that D2 far teeth, but for now I'll just play him in a unique way.