What's new

Question Should I even try to main Mr. J if I can't do certain strings?

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
Called myself picking up Joker two days ago as a change of pace from Batman. Been in Practice mode for a few hours with him, and I can't do the D2 into far teeth at all. It just doesn't work for me. I've looked at the thread concerning this, but they aren't helpful to me. A xbox pad player. So my question is... Without that string should I just give up on Joker? It's the only one I can't do, but it looks like his most important setup. I have no problem accepting defeat because I at least tried. With Batman there isn't a string I can't do consistently, and I feel like if you main a character you should be able to do any of their strings. What do you guys think? I'm beyond frustrated. I'm really two seconds away from just going back to Batman & staying there.

ShadowBeatz

Dropper of Bass and Bombs
With Batman there isn't a string I can't do consistently
With Batman there isn't a main string that a man without arms can't do consistently :joker:

On topic though, I wouldn't say drop Joker because you can't do one string. Either keep practicing, or develop a gamestyle around something else. That's what I did with Cyrax in MK9. I was having serious trouble getting his resets down, so I developed a style of Cyrax that didn't use those resets and because of that, I'd like to think I have a pretty unique Cyrax. Maybe you can do the same with Joker

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
With Batman there isn't a main string that a man without arms can't do consistently :joker:

On topic though, I wouldn't say drop Joker because you can't do one string. Either keep practicing, or develop a gamestyle around something else. That's what I did with Cyrax in MK9. I was having serious trouble getting his resets down, so I developed a style of Cyrax that didn't use those resets and because of that, I'd like to think I have a pretty unique Cyrax. Maybe you can do the same with Joker
True... Very true. You're right.

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
If you like him- stick with him. As you practice more trouble strings get easier over time..Plus- the world needs more Jokers :D
I love the joker. I like playing with him. He's not as easy to use as batman, but I was a sub zero main in MK9 so I'm fine with working for every bit of damage I can get. It's just frustrating. I needed to vent. I'll still work on it.

KonDcnT

KonDcnT
Called myself picking up Joker two days ago as a change of pace from Batman. Been in Practice mode for a few hours with him, and I can't do the D2 into far teeth at all. It just doesn't work for me. I've looked at the thread concerning this, but they aren't helpful to me. A xbox pad player. So my question is... Without that string should I just give up on Joker? It's the only one I can't do, but it looks like his most important setup. I have no problem accepting defeat because I at least tried. With Batman there isn't a string I can't do consistently, and I feel like if you main a character you should be able to do any of their strings. What do you guys think? I'm beyond frustrated. I'm really two seconds away from just going back to Batman & staying there.
Try hitting d2 then b3 . D2 has to hit in order for it to work. It took me quite some time tovget it down. I also turned off negative edge

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
Why did my thread turn into an inside joke slash fuck you fest? KonDcnT Man I think I'll just have to work around it. If I was using a PS3 pad I don't think I'd have the problem, but the xbox pad is still kinda of weird to me. Not making excuses, but I'm assuming that's the reason. The only other move I couldn't do in a fight game was the 321 NJP with Reptile on MK9. That's how this string makes me feel lol.

KonDcnT

KonDcnT
Why did my thread turn into an inside joke slash fuck you fest? KonDcnT Man I think I'll just have to work around it. If I was using a PS3 pad I don't think I'd have the problem, but the xbox pad is still kinda of weird to me. Not making excuses, but I'm assuming that's the reason. The only other move I couldn't do in a fight game was the 321 NJP with Reptile on MK9. That's how this string makes me feel lol.
It took me a while to get it, but stick with it. I am a Joker only main And I still have a lot to learn. We need as many Jokers as we can get. Also work on your f23 RLG. Somebody suggested this to me the other day and it has really helped me out with som DS match ups.

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
It took me a while to get it, but stick with it. I am a Joker only main And I still have a lot to learn. We need as many Jokers as we can get. Also work on your f23 RLG. Somebody suggested this to me the other day and it has really helped me out with som DS match ups.
I'm having a little bit of trouble with that too. I keep forgetting to cancel into the RLG after F23. Are you on XBL?

KonDcnT

KonDcnT
quote="ThaShiveGeek, post: 932703, member: 3413"]I'm having a little bit of trouble with that too. I keep forgetting to cancel into the RLG after F23. Are you on XBL?[/quote]
I'm ps3. It's a timing thing. Once you get it down it's all 2nd nature. I played cyrax mk9 and the amount of hours in the lab I spent just to get the timing and understanding the spacing were rough but the satisfaction I got when I got it down was well worth it. The d2 teeth is necessary for one of his resets as well I think its like 73%. I don't even try it online, his Bnb is solid though, 43%

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
Check out the 2,1,2 combo thread also. This is turning into a huge part of Jokers legit meta in matches because the variety of options off of it is insane. To be honest, I suck at the d2 teeth shinanigans as well. I started using it in the corner a bit, but I can't connect the j2 afterwards mid screen with any kind of consistency. So I stick with the other 44% BnB for my big damage combo. Joker is alot more about teeth setups and keeping the pressure on than he is about going an extra 3-4% on a big combo punish, so don't let not being able to do that discourage you. If you wanna play him, get good with his mixup / pressure and get back to trying to time out that d2 teeth crap later, it's much less important imo.

Just to help though, make sure you have that reset inputs option or whatever turned of, then just input it like d2b3f in that order, works pretty well for me so that might help you out man.

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
Like StevoSupremo said 212 RLG is solid, I still use ji2 32 RLG b/c I have it locked into my muscle memory

3,2 is better after a hit confirm like ji2 or if you know that you are definitely getting a punish in, but 2,1,2 is great for general mixup. Keep using 2,1,3 to make them respect the overhead and them mix them up with 2,1,RLG into a decent 40% or so. you can also do 2,1,2 gun cancel (safe on block or hit, though might be pokeable on block) to keep pressure on, do 2,1,2 teeth on block (also safe, and then you can start blocking and when they try to punish, pushblock them back onto the teeth), or just general old 2,1,RLG if you hit confirm it when you were planning something else. It is a great string and a HUGE part of Joker's offense right now. Just waiting on that trait to get sorted.