What's new

Should combo breakers have made it into the game?

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
Should there have been combo breakers in the game besides the clash system on the second life bar?

I feel that if there was a combo breaker system like that in MK9 that it MIGHT have evened up some of the lopsided-ness that occurs in a game were a player gets you in two 40% combos and wastes your first bar of life, leaving them with 150%+ health and you down to your last 100%.

Especially when we have character(s) with crazy damage output it would be nice to be able to break a combo at the cost of two bars of meter.

Now, I understand that certain characters build meter much faster than others characters do so there would have to be some sort of meter building balancing I guess.

What do you guys think, would you have liked this implemented into the game?

Would you limit it to one break per first bar of health?

Would it have worked in this type of game?

And also, while we are on this topic; what about two out of three round system like other fighters?

Do you think it would make the game more hype at tournaments than the current system?

Just some thoughts. Lets talk.

R3CK3Dx

KNEEL
yes there should be, the clash slows the game down sure the quotes etc were cool the first day but combo breakers brought a new meaning to meter management and made you play smarter

kronspik

Noob
Combo Breakers suck.
They constantly break the flow of the match and make it even more difficult to perform comebacks against characters who build meter quickly (Kabal). Making clashes once per fight per person was a great change to the "breaker" mechanic. Combo breakers also had the problem of making many EN moves and Xrays terrible because it was almost always ideal to save your meter for breakers. I actually hope that MK10 tones them down a bit or adds a new mechanic instead. Clashes are better, but they still aren't amazing.

ABACABB

End Of Humanity
no BUT clashes should work like this :
Only person who clashed can bet a meter , you cant take dmg from clash.
It sucks when oponent have life lead and 4 bars , you have 2 ... you clashed and he bets all 4
Clash should help player that used it , not kill him .

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
I love the combo breakers in MK9. Completely fine with it. As for Injustice, all I gotta say is meh.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Breakers shouldn't be in any game ever.

Except for Killer Instinct I guess.
I agree with that too.

But especially in a game with a button designed & dedicated to blocking attacks in the first place.

One of the dumbest things that MK's done since the arcade era.

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
I laugh so hard when they clash with less meter. Ive done it and felt like a jackass.
Im not too much of a fan of C.B.s really.
Just throws me off when someones getting there ass kicked, and somewhere of him gettin whooped up he realizes he can stop time and throw a counter punch in mid ass whooping.
But Im a weirdo

kronspik

Noob
Arc System Works games and Skullgirls have cool mechanics where you can bait out a combo breaker and punish them for using it. That's how the mechanic should be done -- by adding a risk element to it.

ShadowBeatz

Dropper of Bass and Bombs
I don't know why people dislike breakers.... I've always thought games that favor defense were less "scrubby" (for lack of a better word) because you have to work harder to open people up and get damage. Anyone who just sits there and blocks because defense is easy isn't going to win.

On topic, Breakers should stay in MK, and I have more problems with Injustice than the Clash system. It's honestly "whatever" to me

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
I personally think the clash system in Injustice is borderline ingenious. I think it complements the tone of the game rather perfectly, while simultaneously creating a strategically fascinating meter meta game.

I dont agree with this 33% chance of breaking a million hit combo. one of the reasons i retired from mvsc was cus I got sick of watching myself get combo'd for 60 seconds straight. It should be like MK, make it 100% chance, and make it expensive meter wise. or maybe have an option to 100% break at the cost of meter, and hell, ill take it even if that could be used once.

ThatPinkKid

The Underdog of the Century
I'd be perfectly fine with combo breakers. Some combos are just too damn long and not to mention some of the damages ive seen out there... *shudder*

No, absolutely not. Combo breakers favor characters who build meter fast. Guess who builds meter insanely fast? Superman.

So that characters like superman green arrow Catwoman wonder woman and to an extent black Adams become deity's in the game. These characters build meter fairly quickly and are either not required to spend meter in combos or only need 1 for big damage. And there are strategic uses to wagering in a life deficit. If it is a character who does massive damage, you can waste their meter, plus if you play a Zoner you can get it back from that. 1 wager is fine and killer instinct combo breakers giving back nearly all HP is a mechanic that will probably ruin the game to boring. It discourages entertaining combos for small 5-10hits

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
No breakers are what put me off mk, they just make the game not fun for me. Clash is fine since its one time only.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
In my opinion, the breaker system in MK9 (and the entire meter management system as a whole) was nearly perfect. Imagine MK9 with no breakers and you're playing against Cyrax. Oh, you got touched? Put the stick down and say goodnight. The ONLY thing I would change is that I would make it a once a round thing only. Kabal shouldn't be breaking two combos per round because he's a meter building machine. It's dumb.

Hopefully it will be tweaked in MK10.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
Breakers in a game with such strong zoning options? Do you WANT this to turn into a full screen only game?

Clash more than makes up for it.

Yes you can only do it once, but not only are your preventing the damage that would be done by the combo, but you are also given the ability to gain around 30 percent health back.

So that's like 2 combo-breakers in one.