What's new

Shinnok In Mk 10

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
Yea... So I just beat MK9 again to unlock Quan Chi and Cyber Sub and at the End of the game they show you something.

At the end of the game as soon as Raiden beats Shao khan Quan Chi comes out. After Quan Chi talks to whoever Shinnok is and they say that he will be free. Sounds to me like hes Going to be in MK10.

Lets discuss Shinnok because I have no clue who he is

What moves would he have?
You are on the premier Mortal Kombat website and you don't know who Shinnok is?! Seriously?

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
It's not smart assed, its true. NRS made a game for people who said only MK1-3 characters are any good , they said it a hundred times and it was incredibly authentic. Now its time for the series to grow, and that means old characters need to evolve or get left behind.
I think one of the reason why MK9 was so successful was because of the character choices to begin with. I'm not saying, don't add new characters and such. I am saying, lets have a nice mix.

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
It's not smart assed, its true. NRS made a game for people who said only MK1-3 characters are any good , they said it a hundred times and it was incredibly authentic. Now its time for the series to grow, and that means old characters need to evolve or get left behind.
In the case of Reptile, devolve. I get your point. Problem is that 90% of people won't and will cry/scream etc because their favourite character is not in the next game or that the character has changed. Seems like you would like the brotherhood of shadow in their oni form. Perhaps Sareena or Jakatta would suit you?

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
http://mortalkombat.wikia.com/wiki/Shinnok

He's a fallen Elder God. Kinda like the Lucifer of the MK world, only in the story, he actually killed Lucifer with the help of Quan Chi. Current ruler of the Netherrealm.

Also interesting to note he is one of few characters who didn't die in the events of Armageddon, and given that he's a God, he can send a message to his past self like Raiden did.

As for movesets, he usually has moves that summon ground skeleton hands. I say he should be a zoner. Also, I want him to have a second form (he had one in MK:Sub-Zero) as the final boss of the game cause it's never felt right that he plays like any other character while Shao Kahn, Onaga, Blaze, etc don't.

trufenix

bye felicia
In the case of Reptile, devolve. I get your point. Problem is that 90% of people won't and will cry/scream etc because their favourite character is not in the next game or that the character has changed. Seems like you would like the brotherhood of shadow in their oni form. Perhaps Sareena or Jakatta would suit you?
People will cry either way. No fighting game cast has ever fully satisfied. However, if the game is quality and the character replacements are quality people will get over it.

I would love to see quan chis demon harem in a new game if they became more than pale skinned girls in bikinis. Mk already has about 7 of those to work with.

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
Original characters define the brand. Look at Street Fighter IV. All the original characters from SF2 were there and most of the remaining characters were from later SF games too. If you do a complete overhaul or even something close to that the game is no longer MK. NRS learned plenty of lessons from MKDA to MKA. They know now that its the core cast that has the most impact. Expect about half the characters from MK9 to be present in MK10. Most of the other characters will be from post MK3 cast as well. I wouldn't expect more than 4 new characters at the most.

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
People will cry either way. No fighting game cast has ever fully satisfied. However, if the game is quality and the character replacements are quality people will get over it.

I would love to see quan chis demon harem in a new game if they became more than pale skinned girls in bikinis. Mk already has about 7 of those to work with.
Demons in bikinis. Zebron in a Mankini.

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
Original characters define the brand. Look at Street Fighter IV. All the original characters from SF2 were there and most of the remaining characters were from later SF games too. If you do a complete overhaul or even something close to that the game is no longer MK. NRS learned plenty of lessons from MKDA to MKA. They know now that its the core cast that has the most impact. Expect about half the characters from MK9 to be present in MK10. Most of the other characters will be from post MK3 cast as well. I wouldn't expect more than 4 new characters at the most.
Mortal Kombat is a tournament that maintains the balance of the realms. There can be as many realms as The One Being creates. Take the MK brand and slap it onto Primal Rage and have a fighting game about dinosaurs protecting their realm from the laughing emperor. Do you understand? Not every character has to be humanoid because of animation constraints

trufenix

bye felicia
Uh, NRS has the most cast shaking up history of any developer, and they have NEVER made an unsuccessful game (well, mk4 is arguable).

Yea... So I just beat MK9 again to unlock Quan Chi and Cyber Sub and at the End of the game they show you something.

At the end of the game as soon as Raiden beats Shao khan Quan Chi comes out. After Quan Chi talks to whoever Shinnok is and they say that he will be free. Sounds to me like hes Going to be in MK10.

Lets discuss Shinnok because I have no clue who he is

What moves would he have?
i think majority of the community has beaatin mk9 lol its obvious he will be in the game.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
With your comparison you are kind of off. SF4 was a revival like MK9 was, so the choice of roster is pretty clear. Then again, MKDA was a revival game that also sold pretty well, and with that game they made a statement by killing off the main character, albeit they still had a few staple characters in there as well.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
Freddy was the only exception to perfect
I like Freddy in MK, it's a good use of a WB property. Far as how Shinnok should play, since I imagine Freddy won't return, I'd think that shinnok would get some of Freddy's zoning elements (ground spike like freddy's but like a ground skeleton hand maybe?)

I'm gonna go back on topic with Shinnok with focus on the story and not competitive play...

MK9 is MK 1, 2 and 3 combined with a brilliantly written story that allowed them to "start over". I think it makes sense to show Shinnok for the next game but that also raises a more important question... Is this where NR chooses to completely avoid later titles like Deadly Alliance, Deception and Armageddon? Although I honestly enjoyed these games because I'm an MK fanboy, I admittedly do not enjoy the route that the story went. Ashrah, Hsu Hao and Kobra are examples of characters that I felt didn't fit in AT ALL. I really hope they take advantage of this altered past so that we may play through a more focused future. Quan Chi makes an appearance in MK9 but his role isn't important until MK4 really. Needless to say, Shinnok making an appearance with Quan Chi already here is going to make an epic sequel for sure.

callMEcrazy

I like Freddy in MK, it's a good use of a WB property. Far as how Shinnok should play, since I imagine Freddy won't return, I'd think that shinnok would get some of Freddy's zoning elements (ground spike like freddy's but like a ground skeleton hand maybe?)
I can imagine a move that has a skeleton hand pulling the opponent into the ground and then releasing him from above the screen. Unblockable with like 12% damage. Similar startup as Scorpion's fire but faster recovery and with knock down.

GGA Max

I really want shinnok, but as a rushdown player (fool) he probably wouldn't fit my aggressive style. I could see him being like aquaman (ranged staff attacks) who can do basic zoning with some magic.

callMEcrazy

I really want shinnok, but as a rushdown player (fool) he probably wouldn't fit my aggressive style. I could see him being like aquaman (ranged staff attacks) who can do basic zoning with some magic.
That may not be a bad idea. Everyone expects Shinnok to be a hard zoner, so they might just do something a bit unexpected. If he is a boss I imagine he'd have to be fairly good at both. Shinnok with ranged staff does sound interesting, if somewhat similar to Jade.

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
That may not be a bad idea. Everyone expects Shinnok to be a hard zoner, so they might just do something a bit unexpected. If he is a boss I imagine he'd have to be fairly good at both. Shinnok with ranged staff does sound interesting, if somewhat similar to Jade.
He is similar to Shang Tsung/Freddy hybrid in play style if NRS stays true to his root design. His ground claw has the makings to be like Freddy's GC, he should have a Nightwolf-esque relfect giving him the edge over other zoners, he will have a Scorpion type teleport for mobility, and his skeleton fist move is very similar to Kenshi's SC. So given his powers/previous move sets it is a safe bet to say he will be the premier zoner in MK10...

Last edited:

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
I'm fearing that he will be top tier early and that he will be nerfed into oblivion because of endless crying. Which sucks because I want to main him but I already promised myself I would tier where and counter pick my way to glory in MK10

callMEcrazy

I'm fearing that he will be top tier early and that he will be nerfed into oblivion because of endless crying. Which sucks because I want to main him but I already promised myself I would tier where and counter pick my way to glory in MK10
I don't worry with tiers. What I have learned since MK9 came out is that it takes extremely good players to take advantage of tiers. The funny thing is most people crying about tiers are not even good enough to exploit them. Kabal is god tier ? Yes he is. But not at the hands of just anyone. For 95% or more players he is not very different to a low tier character like Jade.

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
I like to think of the use of Freddy as a means to introduce The Dream Realm, which when connected to Jade's ending brings forth Delia.